No announcement yet.

the original HALLOWEEN and its sequels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer the original theatrical color-timing as well. I always assumed the lights were gelled on the set, but Cundey's revised transfer makes it clear the mood coloring was done in post, and he eliminated it in the 2002 transfer.

The Blu-ray is razor-sharp, though, Paul and quite beautiful. It also contains the commentary channel from the laser-disc which the Limited Edition DVD from 1999 did not.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
      Complication: dvdaficianado lists a Limited 30th Anniversary Commemorative Box-Set (released 2008) Blu-ray containing both edits (as well as a plastic mask which I don't want, and films 4 and 5 which I already bought), but when you click on the amazon link, it takes you to a DVD box-set. So the dvdaficianado listing is wrong, it's not a Blu-ray.
      Richard, if you're talking about this set here it does include a Blu-ray of the first movie only (theatrical cut only). The other discs in the set are DVDs.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up, Ian. No point in buying that set since I have the regular Blu-ray of HALLOWEEN.

Isn't it peculiar that the alternate TV edit isn't on Blu-ray as well.

In a few minutes I'll watch either HALLOWEEN 4 or the first PARANORMAL ACTIVITY. Have to make up my mind. On the other hand, THE MOON IN THE GUTTER (1983) beckons.

Comment

Does anyone know if they are planning to make another one anytime soon???...Need something Michael Myers related to get rid of the ugly taste left by the Zombie pics....

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            Another (different and in my opinion better) poster for the theatrical re-release.
            I think i prefer the sepia one above. I just about ordered the one-sheet for the re-release before realizing that there's no chance in HELL I'll be allowed to hang it anywhere in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
              Does anyone know if they are planning to make another one anytime soon???...Need something Michael Myers related to get rid of the ugly taste left by the Zombie pics....
              Maybe?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502407/

Halloween III! Patrick Lussier slated to direct. He did some of the Dracula movies for Craven and the surprisingly good My Bloody Valentine remake. Todd Farmer, who wrote that remake, is co-writing with Steve Mena (who did Malevolence, which wasn't bad).
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Ian.
                I will start a remake thread so that the original thread remains unpolluted.

HALLOWEEN 4 (1988) has a smart and neatly plotted script imaginatively photographed, inventively directed and with an appealing cast. What a pleasant surprise. It has the seasonal atmosphere right down to a guy raking plastic autumn leaves on his lawn. It has trick or treating with pumpkins and skeletons everywhere and kids running around in costumes. It references the first film in unexpected and subtle ways, like having a little girl wear the same kind of costume Michael Meyers wore at the beginning of the first film. It delivers the slasher goods, showing the murders happen instead of as a result. It delivers the nude scene in the middle instead of at the beginning. It's more violent than the first film, but which sequel isn't. I do prefer the 1.85 ratio to the 2.35, but I wish director Dwight Little had pulled back to medium shots instead of using so many close-ups. This film doesn't need to be so close all the time. All in all it was worth the $5 I paid for it at K-Mart.

Comment

In September 2009, before Pre-Production was shut down, 'Patrick Lussier' and Todd Farmer (writers of My Bloody Valentine), wrote a script and even talked Tyler Mane into returning to play Michael Myers. Shortly after pitching the script, the company shut down production, saying the script was good but there wasn't enough time for the project to be finished in time
                  Production for Halloween 3-D was shut down on Tuesday, September 29th 2009 because The Weinstein Company ran out of money
                  So it was gonna be in 3D???......That was 2009 though...3 years have passed and not a peep....

Comment

Hate to be a Negative Nancy but I really hated the My Bloody Valentine remake and those Craven Dracula movies. I did like Drive Angry, but I chalk that up to the script and Nicolas Cage.

This bit from the Faq made me laugh:

The most likely possibility is that HALLOWEEN III will be a complete "reboot" of the franchise - most likely picking up after the events of John Carpenter's 1978 original HALLOWEEN and ignoring all the sequels, remakes, and spin-offs of the series. It has been stated that in HALLOWEEN III, the goal is pretty much to return to form and make a fun, scary thriller. The best way to do this would be to simply make Michael Myers what he was originally conceived to be - the Boogeyman.
                    Yeah, because the 2nd sequel to the remake should be a complete reboot... I think they should set it up as a typical Halloween flick then at the end Michael is killed and it turns out to be some random guy wearing a Michael mask who had 2 scenes.
                    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

This bit made me laugh..
                      he goal is pretty much to return to form and make a fun, scary thriller
                      Coz of course Carpenter was actually trying to make the first couple lighthearted!!

I think they should set it up as a typical Halloween flick then at the end Michael is killed and it turns out to be some random guy wearing a Michael mask who had 2 scenes.
                      This sounds remarkably similar to another entry in another franchise....you can't be doing that!!!

Interesting they are planning to REBOOT the series AGAIN...A RE-REboot????

Comment

Speaking as a fan of the original 1978 film, I think all the sequels, with the exception of H2, were crap, as were RZ's remakes/reimaginings/reboots.

As for H3D not being made due to lack of funds, I can only say we all dodged a collected cinematic bullet then.

Furthermore, I think the Weinstein Bros. should both be sentenced to life at hard labor for their countless cinematic crimes against humanity.
                        Robert W
                        Last edited by Robert W; 10-11-2012, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                          HALLOWEEN 4 (1988) has a smart and neatly plotted script imaginatively photographed, inventively directed and with an appealing cast. What a pleasant surprise. It has the seasonal atmosphere right down to a guy raking plastic autumn leaves on his lawn. It has trick or treating with pumpkins and skeletons everywhere and kids running around in costumes. It references the first film in unexpected and subtle ways, like having a little girl wear the same kind of costume Michael Meyers wore at the beginning of the first film. It delivers the slasher goods, showing the murders happen instead of as a result. It delivers the nude scene in the middle instead of at the beginning. It's more violent than the first film, but which sequel isn't. I do prefer the 1.85 ratio to the 2.35, but I wish director Dwight Little had pulled back to medium shots instead of using so many close-ups. This film doesn't need to be so close all the time. All in all it was worth the $5 I paid for it at K-Mart.
                          In a lot of ways, it is my favorite of the sequels. I was very impressed with Danielle Harris in the movie the first time I saw it (we snuck into the theater, we were under 18 when it played) and after watching it again when the BD came out recently, I think her performance holds up. I also agree with the reasons you've listed but for me a very big part of what makes this one work is the quality of Harris' work in the film.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Bloody Disgusting says that there's a 35th Anniversary Blu-ray in the works, with a new commentary from Carpenter.

I'm not sure what else there is to cover in regards to the first movie, but maybe that footage that was discovered a few years ago could be included. That might get me to quintuple dip.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And just now, AB sent out this PR blurb:

Everyone is excited and the news is true that Jamie and John reunited for the 35th Anniversary of Halloween. Anchor Bay is working with the Halloween team on all the details now. We will have more news and photos to come! Stay tuned to https://www.facebook.com/halloweenmovies?fref=ts
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

A better transfer with more accurate colors would be a reason to re-buy HALLOWEEN.

Comment

Working...
                                X