No announcement yet.

the original HALLOWEEN and its sequels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm just gonna stick with the first blu-ray. I'm too impatient to deal with all of this other bullshit. :D

Comment

• RAD.

I really wish the rest of this footage would make it out.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I rewatched Halloweens 4 & 5 for the first time in over a decade last weekend. H4 is ok and holds your interest enough......just enough BUT jeez H5 is so bad. I can't believe how utterly boring it is and the mask is terrible.
        It's a shame really that the sequels after part 2 (part 3 not withstanding) bear so little resemblance to the feel and mood of what Carpenter started. Say what you want about the F13 films, at least they feel connected.

Thank goodness H20 managed to get something of the real Halloween magic back, though that is most likely down to the involvement of Jamie Lee Curtis.
        My website Blushots Please visit and take a look :up:
        Blushots Twitter
        Me Twitter :up:
        Letterboxd

Comment

• HALLOWEEN 4 was the last of the HALLOWEEN films that I saw (when it hit VHS), other than the Rob Zombie remake and spatterings of H20 on television. I never saw HALLOWEEN 5. I didn't much care for the fourth film, and a reliable friend of mine said that the fifth picture was even less interesting, so I never checked it out.
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by rybev View Post
            I rewatched Halloweens 4 & 5 for the first time in over a decade last weekend. H4 is ok and holds your interest enough......just enough BUT jeez H5 is so bad. I can't believe how utterly boring it is and the mask is terrible.
            It's a shame really that the sequels after part 2 (part 3 not withstanding) bear so little resemblance to the feel and mood of what Carpenter started. Say what you want about the F13 films, at least they feel connected.

Thank goodness H20 managed to get something of the real Halloween magic back, though that is most likely down to the involvement of Jamie Lee Curtis.
            I kicked off Octobber with H4 & H5 and had a different expierence. I kinda like H4 but it can be a bit boring. The nice holiday vibe and stunning Kathleen Kinmont are all it really has to offer for me. I also think that Michael looks the worst in H4.

I really enjoy H5. The characters are much more interesting and fun than the previous installment. With some quality kills, expertly crafted tension and kooky Dr. Loomis, THE REVENGE OF MICHAEL MYERS is consistently entertaining throughout. Don Shanks and a new mask make for a much better Michael than George Wilbur in H4. The only drag on the film is the ending. WTF were they thinking?

I really hate H2O. The first hour is a chore with all of the cheap jump scares and one the most obnoxious soundtracks ever created. I'll take RESURRECTION over H2O any day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
              I kicked off Octobber with H4 & H5 and had a different expierence. I kinda like H4 but it can be a bit boring. The nice holiday vibe and stunning Kathleen Kinmont are all it really has to offer for me. I also think that Michael looks the worst in H4.

I really enjoy H5. The characters are much more interesting and fun than the previous installment. With some quality kills, expertly crafted tension and kooky Dr. Loomis, THE REVENGE OF MICHAEL MYERS is consistently entertaining throughout. Don Shanks and a new mask make for a much better Michael than George Wilbur in H4. The only drag on the film is the ending. WTF were they thinking?

I really hate H2O. The first hour is a chore with all of the cheap jump scares and one the most obnoxious soundtracks ever created. I'll take RESURRECTION over H2O any day.
              Wow!!!
              We obviously all have different tastes but I am genuinely surprised to read that you think H5 had "expertly crafted tension" and was "consistently entertaining". I was bored out of my skull, it was so lame and drawn out.
              We're obviously polar opposites as I really enjoy H20, it feels like Halloween whereas 4&5 just feel like incredibly cheap, almost tv movie-like spin offs that leave me totally cold.

I'd take the Zombie remake over 4,5 & 6 any day.
              My website Blushots Please visit and take a look :up:
              Blushots Twitter
              Me Twitter :up:
              Letterboxd

Comment

• Taste? Is that all it is? Rod Zombie -- what's his real name, does anybody know? -- should be constitutionally barred from owning a movie camera. His films depress me worse than Ed Wood's. I wouldn't take a Zombie film over, over, over, well, anything. Sorry.

Reiterated from the backpages:

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                ....I will start a remake thread so that the original thread remains unpolluted.

HALLOWEEN 4 (1988) has a smart and neatly plotted script imaginatively photographed, inventively directed and with an appealing cast. What a pleasant surprise. It has the seasonal atmosphere right down to a guy raking plastic autumn leaves on his lawn. It has trick or treating with pumpkins and skeletons everywhere and kids running around in costumes. It references the first film in unexpected and subtle ways, like having a little girl wear the same kind of costume Michael Meyers wore at the beginning of the first film. It delivers the slasher goods, showing the murders happen instead of as a result. It delivers the nude scene in the middle instead of at the beginning. It's more violent than the first film, but which sequel isn't. I do prefer the 1.85 ratio to the 2.35, but I wish director Dwight Little had pulled back to medium shots instead of using so many close-ups. This film doesn't need to be so close all the time. All in all it was worth the $5 I paid for it at K-Mart.
                "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                  It delivers the nude scene in the middle instead of at the beginning.
                  There is no nudity in H4 or H5.

I should mention that the ending of H4 might be my favorite of the series. I'm not a fan of Rachel which is why I find the middle 1/3 to be a bore. The final chase is awful as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                    There is no nudity in H4 or H5.
                    I'm almost positive there's nudity in H5.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      I'm almost positive there's nudity in H5.
                      I think the closest we come is seeing Ellie Cornell (or a body double?) through a shower curtain.

Comment

• Yeah, you're right. I though that when whatshername is making out with whatshisname in the barn her top came off but I just checked and I'm wrong. It just gets loosened.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                          Yeah, you're right. I though that when whatshername is making out with whatshisname in the barn her top came off but I just checked and I'm wrong. It just gets loosened.
                          That was the story of my life when I was a teenager, Ian
                          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Haha, you and me both!
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• At least you guys got to "loosened"!
                              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• I was too busy getting high to mess around with "loosened"

Comment

Working...
                                X