What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection disc 1

I like these, but seeing them again reaffirms what I already knew: media that surrounded me in my childhood was loaded not only with violence, racial stereotypes, and sexism, but also with smoking, paint tasting, inhalant abuse, short tempers, and "adorable" drunks.

Comment

• Just took in Hall Pass with the wife. Pretty forgettable Farrely fare though it does have a few gags (including a dick-joke which Ian has a screencap of in his review). Carter Stevens' Rollerbabies was also given a spin in the DVD player. Fucking genius "Golden-Ager".
      www.cinemaheadcheese.com

Comment

• Rollerbabies kicks all kinds of golden ass. I love the mind-job. Classic.

Comment

• Rollerbabies is, in my humble opinion, Stevens' crown jewel.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• The four dollar movie-fest continues...

Night of the Living Dead (1990) -- now I remember why I wasn't super impressed when I originally saw this! It was the MPAA intervention that savaged it! But, retroactively speaking, I really enjoyed seeing it again twenty years on as, IMHO, it's a really good remake. More on the blog in the next few days, as I'm back in the swing behind the scenes. Suffice to say, I feel Savini did a really good job behind the camera, expectations were circumvented with some surprises, and much of Romero's rewrites were on the button.

Edge of Sanity (1988) -- another revisit twenty plus years on. 'twas sad that a man of Perkins' calibre was reduced to B-movie drek in his twilight years, but...this little B-movie is awesome! Fusing Stevenson's story with Jack the Ripper while channelling Ken Russell is pretty gonzo, but lots of fun! The bit where Perkins grabs the prostitutes arse whilst roaring "Look at that! Look at THAT!!!" as "Jack Hyde" is gold. It's all kind of how the Jekyll and Hyde story would play out if Hyde = Rev. Peter Shayne! This is still hugely entertaining sleaze.

Ian's favourite moment from Edge of Sanity (yes, that's real)...
            Last edited by Mike T; 07-19-2011, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• I remember Edge of Sanity from my hs VHS days. Was obsessed with Anthony Perkins briefly back then. Roddy McDowall was still numero uno in my heart though.

Watched the Blue Brothers BD last night. I had only seen it once before around the time of the sequel. 70s and early 80s Dan Aykroyd... you really can't get any better than that. Such a fun movie.
              Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Yeah, Blues Brothers holds up really, really well. They don't make car chases like that any more it seems.

I've never actually seen Edge of Sanity...
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  I've never actually seen Edge of Sanity...
                  Really? Check it out if you get a chance one day. It's Jekyll and Hyde by way of Crimes of Passion and Jack the Ripper. Good fun! And...the eye (above) has it! Hehehe...

Comment

• It's one of those movies I've always meant to see - I find Perkins entertaining in pretty much everything I've seen him in - just never got around to it for whatever reason.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I'll write you a review on the blog, accompanied by some choice "artistic" images, in the next few days. I'll also include an little in-joke for my UK readers in the review (that I'm going to have provide a footnote to explain for everyone else). Providing this shitty weather and a third bout of cold/flu bug doesn't scupper that a second time. :)

PS: @ Ian -- it was you that liked the interaction of eyes and spiky things, yeah? ;)
                      Last edited by Mike T; 07-19-2011, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Watching The Devil's Sword. Fucking awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike T View Post
                          PS: @ Ian -- it was you that liked the interaction of eyes and spiky things, yeah? ;)
                          Like as in 'like' or like as in get grossed out by it? I think it's a cool gore effect done well. I have no problem watching it though. My thing is needles, sometimes I have to look away if needles go under skin.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Watched THE LOST BOYS special edition last night and listened to director's commentary. I was reclining on the futon couch, propping my head up with my hand, leaning on my elbow. Within minutes, I fall asleep, head slips off hand, and skull slams into the edge of the wooden armrest. I gots a big lump on my noggin. I blame Joel Schumacher and Corey Haim.

Comment

• As you should.

Last night.... Streetwalkin' - gotta love 80s Times Square hookers, sadistic pimps, and Julie Newmar looking like a tranny.

Gamera - the MST3K version. It's a good one. Made me laugh a lot.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                                Gamera - the MST3K version. It's a good one. Made me laugh a lot.
                                Can't wait for this set.

Comment

Working...
                                X