No announcement yet.

Jess Franco Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched SADOMANIA again a couple nights ago. Perfect packet of sleaze. Why isn't this coming to Blu any time soon!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	77713_large.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	344277

Had a quick skim earlier. This is only my first impressions , It did seem to look good, but didn't have that wow factor that maybe I was anticipating from this Blu-ray release. Maybe its because the restoration was that good originally on the dvd. It is a dark looking film anyway so its maybe not the best of these releases to judge. What I noticed was that grain was evident and a few nicks here and there. I had a look for English subs but as feared none that I could see, and the dubbing alas appears to be the same as the dvd version. Extras are in German as you would expect but with English subs. Some trailers for Franco films too (Women of cellblock 9, Ilsa, Voodoo passion, which appear to be original and not for the restored versions (well at least I hope not). Will watch tonight to form an adequate opinion. For under 10 euros though cant complain. I just hope Doriana lives up to expectations when it does finally arrive on my doorstep.

EDIT: I have re-evaluated this and I was wrong as it looks much much better than I first thought. Its definitely the best of the Franco transfers I have yet seen on Blu-ray, and I have to admit it puts Redemption's Franco restorations to shame. What a pity about not having English subs, as the Dubbing is still just as bad as I remembered. What I did notice however, there appears to be an option to have the commentary as English subtitles, which I'm going to have to investigate further. It is worth noting that some of the future ascot Francos do have English subs. I'm looking forward now to the other releases.
      Lalala76
      Last edited by Lalala76; 09-25-2013, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• Is Jack the Ripper region free? On Amazon.de it just says PAL.

Comment

• Unfortunately I don't know. I'm in the Uk so I'm region B. Diabolik will be selling these eventually, so maybe ask them on facebook?

Comment

• Jack the Ripper underwent a proper restoration from the original negative back in 2000 by Alpha-Omega digital. So it certainly should look better than what Redemption is doing, which seems to involve little beyond colour correction.

Comment

• Any other sites selling it besides Amazon? I try not to buy through them, especially not the German one.

Comment

• Dtm.at are selling these. Although I got my Jack the ripper from Amazon.de and it arrived in 2 days and it was cheap..

Comment

• Dragon & Tiger Mail Order: http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=52491
                  'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                  'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• I wish they would ship my damn Doriana Grey though. They wont reply to my emails. Marzio confirmed that it would be available from the 24th and that Dtm would be stocking it (which backs up what DTM said to me). No sign of it though.

Comment

• DTM are very reliable but can be quite non-responsive to emails, in my experience.
                      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

• Its not just Doriana though, I'm waiting for Masque of the Red death, Until Doriana comes into stock they wont ship the other.

Comment

• Frustrating, but on the other hand I can assure you that the MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH disc is worth waiting for :)

Comment

• Just a heads up, both Voodoo Passion and Downtown blu-rays are available now to pre-order on Amazon.de. Strangley Downtown is not on Ascot-elites website yet.

Comment

• I assume that these German blu-rays will have the same soundtracks as the original VIP dvd's.
                              So I wondered if only the English dubs on these discs were new recordings?
                              Was the reason new dubs were made that the original English sound elements were lost, or that the films never had gotten dubbed in English in the first place?

Comment

• Downtown

Click image for larger version

Name:	cover_dvd_1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	344323

http://www.ascot-elite.de/movies/ind...?movie_id=1680

Gotta love that artwork!!!

Note the change in aspect ratio from the previous dvd.
                                Lalala76
                                Last edited by Lalala76; 09-30-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X