No announcement yet.

Jess Franco Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty much all of the Redemption Blu-rays I have are too dark, and it annoys me.

Most are significant upgrades over what I owned previously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
      The monochrome grading on THE AWFUL OF DR ORLOFF is wrong as in all grey instead of black and white with shades inbetween. As if the operator didn't use a density pattern or a wave form monitor. It should not have been released in this state. It will look wrong to everyone on every TV display except perhaps the display of the person who did it. Hold on to your DVD.
      From the screenshots I have seen it looks very much like their release of Bava's Black Sunday (or Arrow's release of the same for that matter). I wonder if the same person did the scan of them both?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
        Referring back to Richards point. It seems that the concensus on Orloff is genuinely poor. I own it on bd, but had nothing prior to compare it too, so can't really comment on that.
        My ORLOF Blu arrived yesterday. Although I've only sampled it so far, I think it's acceptable, inasmuch as it's a big improvement over the DVDs I've seen (although I didn't buy that German Tonfilm DVD that was released earlier in the year; I may pick that up at some point, simply for the longer cut of the film) but the contrast is *really* off - it has the look of monochrome film that's been overexposed in the shooting and developing, and then pulled back a stop or two in the darkroom. Consequently, there's no 'depth' in the midtones and the highlights look simultaneously burnt-out and grey. It's certainly not how the film should look.

But as I said, it's a big improvement over the DVDs I've seen so far, and there's some good contextual material. However, from this and BLACK SUNDAY, I just get the impression, like Richard said, that the people doing these transfers aren't comfortable with handling monochrome pictures.
        Paul L
        Scholar of Sleaze
        Last edited by Paul L; 08-18-2013, 04:14 AM.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• like Richard said, that the people doing these transfers aren't comfortable with handling monochrome pictures
          or Colour

Comment

• Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
            or Colour
            Ha! I guess you could say that too Although I'd argue the issues with the monochrome films are more pronounced.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

• I'm really thinking of buying some of these blu-rays. I guess I'll finally have to buy a BR-player. Only Franco could convince me!
              Wllm Clys
              Last edited by Wllm Clys; 08-18-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WillemClaeys View Post
                I'm really thinking of buying some of these blu-rays. I guess I'll finally have to buy a BR-player. Only Franco could convince me!
                I assumed you already had one. Buy your ulti-region blu-ray player here:

http://www.220-electronics.com/blu-r...ay-player.html

Have the Studio Canal / Optimum blu-ray of QUATERMASS AND THE PIT

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...F8&me=&seller=

ready to put in the moment your multi-region player arrives. It's a state-of-the-art high-defintion transfer, the best I've seen, of a superior film. This blu-ray will show you what it's all about. You'll be hooked.

Use the hdmi connection, of course.

Blu-ray players extract a better picture out of standard DVD's than DVD players do.
                "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Here in Europe, it's not that easy to score a region-free BR-player. Just my luck ...

Comment

• Oh.
                    Well, if you're in region B, you've got all the preferred releases anyhow.
                    You won't need a region b player to watch Quatermass and the Pit.

Carry on.
                    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Redemption posted this on facebook

25% OFF all Jess Franco titles, including tomorrow's new releases of THE AWFUL DR. ORLOF, NIGHTMARES COME AT NIGHT, and A VIRGIN AMONG THE LIVING DEAD.

Use Promo Code JESS

Comment

• Bugger! All of mine have either arrived or, in the case of NIGHTMARES COME AT NIGHT, in the post. Patience is a virtue I don't possess, unfortunately

Comment

• Makes you wonder why they are offering 25% off. Including the new releases. Bad press maybe or poor pre-orders? As much as I have a niggle with the transfers I would hate for them to abandon future Franco releases. Just a thought.

Comment

• It looks like Kino only ship to North America anyway.
                            https://carnalcinema.blog

Comment

• Originally posted by s.chivers View Post
                              It looks like Kino only ship to North America anyway.
                              What about Redemption/salvation website. Although I don't think they have the new Francos listed.
                              Lalala76
                              Last edited by Lalala76; 08-19-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• I thought those Redemption Franco blu-rays were region A?

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                                Oh.
                                Well, if you're in region B, you've got all the preferred releases anyhow.
                                You won't need a region b player to watch Quatermass and the Pit.

Carry on.

Comment

Working...
                                X