• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Zaibatan

• Zaibatan
    replied
    Originally posted by agent999 View Post
    So there's an Evil Dead spin-off movie on the way. I may be hard of understanding, but I don't think there's much to spin-off here? Surely it's either an Evil Dead movie or it isn't?
    I'm confused by this wording as well. Mainly because I already consider EVIL DEAD RISE a spin-off. As in, it's not a continuation of the previous films. No returning characters. No cabin. No woods.

Leave a comment:

• Lorne Marshall

• Lorne Marshall
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
    Plus, they're unstoppable, so it's never over.
    True, can never get rid of those damn(ed) demons...

Leave a comment:

• JLG

• JLG
    replied
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclus...phantom-limbs/

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    Ash vs Evil Dead followed the plot of the PHANTASM sequels pretty closely.
    Never thought of it that way, I think you have something there.

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    Originally posted by agent999 View Post
    So there's an Evil Dead spin-off movie on the way. I may be hard of understanding, but I don't think there's much to spin-off here? Surely it's either an Evil Dead movie or it isn't?
    There isn't much there for another movie. The EVIL DEAD series reminds me of the PHANTASM series in that they have no real stories to tell. In fact, Ash vs Evil Dead followed the plot of the PHANTASM sequels pretty closely. We need to stop Ruby/The Tall Man and we need to follow them wherever they go. Plus, they're unstoppable, so it's never over.

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    Spoilers...

The lead character in this is well fucked. It's always tough beating a multiple murder rap when your defence is "they were possessed by demons" but when youve put those demons through a meat grinder, leaving only bloody sludge behind, even Johnny Cochranes ​​​​​not going to get you off that one.

I liked the concept on this one. The execution less so. First off, skip the fucking preamble. You dont need to start with blood, the film has Evil Dead in the title. We know what's coming. The start of the film is the one moment you're going to have to build a back story here. Given that this is a family story and it's going to be about the trauma of your family turning into demons and needing to hack them up then this is your time to have some warmth and family spirit. Make us like these people and have some fun with them before the grue. They went the 90s TV option.

After that, it's pretty gruelling. I didn't feel like there were lulls in the pacing like everyone else. I felt like those were just fair opportunities to catch your breath. Not sure any of its fun though. The end is creative and over the top enough to be fun but before that it's more just grim.

Didn't like the visuals either. I never felt like I had a feel for the space and it was always dark to the point of impenetrable.

Did have a few nice moments though. I've seen worse.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    Watched it yesterday. And I definitely agree with the criticism of the pacing. Evil Dead I and II and the remake of the first had merciless pacing once the bad shit starts happening, but Rise just seemed to be lull after lull, making it feel overlong and kinda boring.

I also didn’t care much for the false-start opening making the whole movie after that into a flashback when the ending came. It seemed like a cheap trick that served no real purpose.
    Darcy Parker
    Last edited by Darcy Parker; 07-04-2023, 09:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lorne Marshall

• Lorne Marshall
    replied
    That's how I felt about this one, too. As I've written about other recent horror films, Hollywood seems to think more is more, when really more is less. When it's a non-stop barrage with no pacing whatsoever, all it induces from me is a yawn.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    I didn't like it. It just felt like a modern mainstream horror movie. Generic scares, loud musical stings etc. I wish they'd just do another season of Ash vs Evil Dead.
    Yeah, I'm with you on both points. It wasn't really very fun at all, and the Evil Dead movies, at least the original 3, are all pretty fun. I honestly thought EDR was fairly dull, despite the fact that it was pretty gory and had some creative set pieces.

Leave a comment:

• Randy G

• Randy G
    replied
    Watched this in Crave. Not bad, quite gory and the cast were good, the script wasn't great but I appreciated the character development and it clipped along okay for me.

A solid horror film, of course its no match for the original but when I consider the many poor sequels to Halloween I think this is not an embarrassment.

Leave a comment:

• bgart13

• bgart13
    replied
    Just finished watching it, thought it was better than the last attempt. EDR mostly did things right.

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    I didn't like it. It just felt like a modern mainstream horror movie. Generic scares, loud musical stings etc. I wish they'd just do another season of Ash vs Evil Dead.

Leave a comment:

• Lorne Marshall

• Lorne Marshall
    replied
    It's now on HBO Max, too.

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    EVIL DEAD RISE is playing on Crave in Canada starting today. Not sure how they got it early, but it's similar to when they got THE BATMAN earlier than usual.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X