• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Mark Tolch

• Mark Tolch
    replied
    Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post

when was the last time you watched it? check out the extended cut, plays out way better than the original cut. the good thing about the remake is once the lunacy starts it keeps on escalating till the end. evil dead rise just stops dead in its tracks from time to time when it's supposed to go next-level apeshit.
    The comment about it stopping dead in it's tracks sounds like the reason I found it to be long even though the running time isn't.

I saw the first remake in the theatre and watched half of it later on, but no idea what cut it was.

Leave a comment:

• killer must kill again

• killer must kill again
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post

Definitely had some expectations going into this as far as the original films, but I will say that it was miles better than the last reboot.
    when was the last time you watched it? check out the extended cut, plays out way better than the original cut. the good thing about the remake is once the lunacy starts it keeps on escalating till the end. evil dead rise just stops dead in its tracks from time to time when it's supposed to go next-level apeshit.
    killer must kill again
    Last edited by killer must kill again; 05-23-2023, 02:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    "I'm a guitar tech, I'll fix the power with a soldering iron and a bunch of flashlight batteries"
    She won the science fair in eighth grade by turning her mom's vibrator into a CD player using some chicken wire and shit. The mother fucker's like MacGyver

Leave a comment:

• Toyboy
    like a hole in the head

• Toyboy
    replied
    I can't imagine what a pain in the ass it must be to make a film like this with the original film(s) being so legendary.
    I was watching the original DAWN OF THE DEAD with the Richard Rubenstein commentary that was recorded in 2003, as he was in post-production on the remake. He brought up the new version a few times, eventually giving a defensive response to the negative reaction from fans of the Romero film when the remake was announced. Rubenstein explained the reasoning for remakes, from a rights holder standpoint, and gave all the bona fides for the people who'd been brought on board for this new take. He was really trying to drum up excitement by explaining how THREE writers were working on the script and it has ACTORS YOU'VE SEEN IN OTHER THINGS in it and how the director was well-seasoned from having made commercials. A lot of ballyhoo, which makes sense coming from someone with much at stake with such an endeavor.

While the producer was saying all this the scene that was playing out onscreen contained the moment when Stephen and Peter go into the bank, grab a few bags of money, pose for the security camera then stroll out through the roped-off line, in contrast to the moment later in the film when we see the marauders tear the bank apart. I've never read the script to the original DAWN, and nobody confirms this in the commentaries I've heard, but I have to think that the stroll between the ropes was conceived on set that day. Possibly the handshake and pose for the camera as well. An organic moment in a movie filled with organic moments, and one that contributes to its long-lasting reverence. As that played out and I listened to Rubenstein lay out his case for why we should embrace this remake that's about to be released it solidified, to me, what remakes and reboots often suffer from - they're usually played too safe and are inorganic by nature. There's nothing in the 2004 version that felt to me like that moment in the bank. By that same token there was nothing in EVIL DEAD RISES or the EVIL DEAD remake that felt as unique and organic as what was in the original Raimi films. The new stuff is too safe and too pat.
    Toyboy
    like a hole in the head
    Last edited by Toyboy; 05-23-2023, 01:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Tolch

• Mark Tolch
    replied
    Originally posted by agent999 View Post
    I went to see Evil Dead Rise. It's an entertaining, efficient modern horror film, but it didn't taste much like Evil Dead to me until the end which was amusingly OTT. Like the last one it plays it mostly straight, but that one at least felt like an Evil Dead movie. It's decent but I might have enjoyed it more if it was just a homage and not an official entry in the series, as there's a lot of expectation on my part due to that label.
    Definitely had some expectations going into this as far as the original films, but I will say that it was miles better than the last reboot. I can't imagine what a pain in the ass it must be to make a film like this with the original film(s) being so legendary.

In any case, I found it enjoyable, even if the relatively short running time felt a little long due to pacing. Didn't rely on straight jump scares for 90 minutes, went out of its way to not be a straight ripoff, and I did like what little character development we witnessed (though the, "I'm a guitar tech, I'll fix the power with a soldering iron and a bunch of flashlight batteries" is a little ridiculous.). Not bad.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    They're touring too!

Leave a comment:

• killer must kill again

• killer must kill again
    replied
    the hives are back + an evil dead reference in their new video!

I liked it better than evil dead rise.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    First 10 minutes of Evil Dead Rise are available for free on Youtube.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Coming 6/27/23.

Click image for larger version

Name:	345438003_631074401811996_2308328280812355792_n.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	678.9 KB
ID:	413954

Name:	345646713_905666957160778_7788098159081159692_n.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	683.9 KB
ID:	413955

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    But she's a guitar tech, she can fix anything!

Leave a comment:

• Toyboy
    like a hole in the head

• Toyboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Zaibatan View Post
    What bothered me more was them fixing the electricity by using an electric soldering tool.
    I forgot about that, yes. Didn't make any sense at all.

Leave a comment:

• Zaibatan

• Zaibatan
    replied
    Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
    There's been something nagging at me since I saw this yesterday...
    ***SPOILERS****
    Early in the film we see the youngest daughter cut the head off a doll and then attach it to the end of a stick. Her older sister later approaches her and the little girl jabs her hard in the mid-section with the doll's head, almost knocking the wind out of her, and then chases the older one through the apartment after flipping the stick over and showing that the other end is sharpened. The older kid seems genuinely scared, as though the younger kid is prone to this sort of violent behavior, but then both of the older siblings snatch the little one up and they all flop onto the bed and appear to be laughing. Honestly, this movie was so incredibly dark that I could barely make out facial expressions, so I didn't understand the dynamics of that scene. Was the idea that maybe this kid is bipolar or has anger issues? It's never really addressed again, and the moment seems to have only served the purpose of showing us two weapons - the stick and the scissors used to chop the doll's head off - for use later in the film.
    What bothered me more was them fixing the electricity by using an electric soldering tool.

Leave a comment:

• Toyboy
    like a hole in the head

• Toyboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Roderick View Post

I thought the stick broke during their roughhousing.
    I watched some clips from this movie on Youtube which were much brighter and I believe I just happened to be in a theater with incredibly poor projection because if they did show that stick breaking I didn't see it happen. Regardless, when the little girl flips it over to reveal the sharp end there is a moment where it appeared that she intended to stab the sister with it but again, hard to tell when everything is so dark.

Leave a comment:

• Roderick
    Butthorn

• Roderick
    replied
    Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
    There's been something nagging at me since I saw this yesterday...

***SPOILERS****

Early in the film we see the youngest daughter cut the head off a doll and then attach it to the end of a stick. Her older sister later approaches her and the little girl jabs her hard in the mid-section with the doll's head, almost knocking the wind out of her, and then chases the older one through the apartment after flipping the stick over and showing that the other end is sharpened. The older kid seems genuinely scared, as though the younger kid is prone to this sort of violent behavior, but then both of the older siblings snatch the little one up and they all flop onto the bed and appear to be laughing. Honestly, this movie was so incredibly dark that I could barely make out facial expressions, so I didn't understand the dynamics of that scene. Was the idea that maybe this kid is bipolar or has anger issues? It's never really addressed again, and the moment seems to have only served the purpose of showing us two weapons - the stick and the scissors used to chop the doll's head off - for use later in the film.
    I thought the stick broke during their roughhousing.
    Also not a fan overall, but actually enjoyed the over the top climax from the point they got into the elevator.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Amazon.co.uk page up for a steelbook UHD release for Evil Dead Rise.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C3HZ9PR8/

Name:	984394671672583587.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	413368

Leave a comment:

Working...
X