Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the world needs now is a Charles Bronson thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How cool. I get a kick out of the film. Try to persuade him to write an article about it at least. A reminiscence. He can post it right here on Rock! Shock! Pop! Does your cuz still write scripts?
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Rad.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
        My cousin wrote this film. He loved Charlie - he also spent every day on the set that this was filmed (HIGHLY unusual for a writer). I've been pestering him for years to write a book about the making of this film and his memories of Bronson. My favorite story is how he wrote the "bi-sexual swinger's" bar dialog and expected Bronson to reject it outright but Charlie thought it was great. Its a highlight of the film.
        Holy cats. This is awesome, Horace.
        www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Watched THE EVIL THAT MEN DO (1984) for the first time in ages. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The South American locations add so much to a film. You can't get that atmosphere and sensibility in the states. I'd forgotten just how brutal the violence is. That fight where Bronson attacks the muscle-man's crotch made me cringe for as long it lasted, and it lasted awhile. An original premise and solid writing. Liked the writing, Horace. My compliments to your cousin.

Bronson's wife and actress Jill Ireland is listed as an exec producer but she doesn't co-star in this one. I guess it was too nasty for her.

They were a good team, Bronson and J. Lee Thompson. They did how many, 7 or 8 or 9 movies together. Thompson was adept at everything a director needs to be adept at. Composition, timing, actors and non-actors, choreography, staging action, telling a story, creating suspense, pitch and tone. I wish Thompson had directed the James Bond film LICENCE TO KILL (1989) instead of that plodding mediocrity John Glen. LICENCE TO KILL also takes place in South America, but the direction is all over the map. If J. Lee Thompson had directed LICENCE TO KILL it would have been a masterpiece.
          Richard--W
          a straight arrow
          Last edited by Richard--W; 07-02-2013, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
            My cousin wrote this film.
            Get outta here........:p

Comment

Shit. The Valachi Papers came out on Blu-ray in Japan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9173t9t4ObL._AA1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	343702

Must... resist.... temptation.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                Must... resist.... temptation.

I recently bought the oop American DVD.

What's holding up DEATH WISH on blu-ray? The sequels are out but not the sire of the spawn.

Comment

What the world needs now is a Charles Bronson thread.

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                  I recently bought the oop American DVD.

What's holding up DEATH WISH on blu-ray? The sequels are out but not the sire of the spawn.
                  Paramount.

The sequels were MGM. DEATH WISH is showing in HD on Vudu. My best guess is that the most likely scenario for a Blu ray is Olive with no bonus features.

Comment

Paramount.
                    That explains it.

The people who made DEAD MAN DOWN (2013) saw THE EVIL THAT MEN DO. Many similarities. At least one killing is recreated -- the one where Bronson wraps a rope around the neck of a thug and throws his body over the balcony of the hotel to hang.

Comment

I hear there's a longer cut of THE EVIL THAT MEN DO on vhs? I wonder how extensive the additional footage is. Anyone seen it?

Comment

Just rewatched LOVE AND BULLETS for the first time in years. I think the last time I saw this was on TV! I pulled out the VHS and checked it out. It was entertaining, but not AS entertaining as I remember. I still like the film, but it seems to fall flat in parts, and never quite gathers the steam action-wise that it should. Still a solid, middle of the road Bronson film, but this one has slipped a few notches in preference of CB films for me.

Just because I want to have all of Chuck's films on DVD, though, I'll be picking up the reasonably priced Shout (I think) release.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                          I hear there's a longer cut of THE EVIL THAT MEN DO on vhs? I wonder how extensive the additional footage is. Anyone seen it?
                          I've never heard this! I'd be interested in seeing a longer cut of this movie as well. There's some rather brutal moments in this flick, but it is pretty solid.

Comment

As much as I enjoy Charles Bronson flicks I was having a difficult time justifying $32 for HARD TIMES. I couldn't ignore the high praise it was receiving but still, $32 is a lot for a blind buy when a sub-standard DVD is available on Netflix. And other than ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, I've yet to see a Bronson flick I'd be pleased with paying $32 for. That said, all the praise for HARD TIMES is completely justified. It's fantastic and the transfer is stunning. Money well spent.

Comment

Now that it's on blu-ray HARD TIMES (1975) continues to win friends and influence people.

Comment

Love & Bullets is coming out 10/22/13 as part of a double feature with Russian Roullette through the Timeless Media wing of Shout! Factory.

Love and Bullets (1979)
                                FBI Agent Charlie Congers, Charles Bronson, is assigned to a case involving a gangster's girlfriend, Jill Ireland, who is being coaxed to give inside information to law enforcement that will put mob boss Joe Bomposa behind bars once and for all. In the end, it turns out that the girlfriend doesn't know much of anything useful to the FBI. But Bomposa feels betrayed and wants her dead anyway. Color, 103 Minutes

Russian Roulette (1975)
                                A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer, George Segal, learns about a KGB conspiracy to assassinate their Premier while the leader is visiting Vancouver B.C. After becoming involved in the complicated scheme, he must stay alive and race against time to make sure the assassination does not take place. Color, 93 Minutes

Click image for larger version

Name:	618Kx604h2L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	344020
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X