Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the world needs now is a Charles Bronson thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Hunt's awesome.

Comment

Anyone on the fence about the admittedly price Hard Times Blu-ray, I dug into it last night and it's really a great looking transfer.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

What the world needs now is a Charles Bronson thread.

Speaking of Le Brute (the affectionate nickname the French had for Bronson) my copy of Olive's SHOWDOWN AT BOOT HILL is due to arrive today.

Which means I know what's for dinner.

Comment

^^Ya, I was looking around for cheaper prices just a couple hours ago. The transfer sounds great but $30 is a bit more than I want to spend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            Anyone on the fence about the admittedly price Hard Times Blu-ray, I dug into it last night and it's really a great looking transfer.
            Funny you mention that, I broke down and ordered it yesterday. Can't wait to see it - I've actually never seen the film.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Its great. And Coburn is at his best in it as well.

Comment

Hard Times is a favorite of mine from the 1970s. After seeing Hard Times I made a point out of seeing every film by this new director Walter Hill on opening day. Bronson never gave a better performance. Andrew is in for a real treat seeing this for the first time.
                "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

"Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

DE LA PART DES COPAINS (1970) needs a decent transfer in the USA. I saw this suspense thriller in 1971 under the title COLD SWEAT. It came back in 1974 as a co-feature when DEATH WISH ignited the box-office. This was the first film Bronson made with 007 originator Terence Young followed by RED SUN (1971). I went to see it because I had a crush on Liv Ullman who figured prominently in the TV spots. All the USA DVD's are cheap public-domain editions in full screen, with missing footage and muddy transfers. But I don't believe it's actually in the public domain. Desperately needs a blu-ray. I don't know who owns it now buy I nominate Blue Underground to get this out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ColdSweat-1970-Italian.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	343433 - Click image for larger version

Name:	ColdSweat-1970.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	343434

Come to think of it, RED SUN was a big hit for Bronson when it played in the states throughout the summer of 1972. It kept popping up for years after that as a co-feature. The Evergreen Entertainment DVD is okay BUT ...

Richard--W
                    a straight arrow
                    Last edited by Richard--W; 06-20-2013, 01:41 AM.

Comment

OK but... it could and should be way better. You'd think given the talent involved in front of the camera it'd get a better release somewhere in the world.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

MR. MAJESTYK is rad. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is radder.

I love Charlie Bronson, unless we're talking about the episode of the Twilight Zone that he's in.

Comment

Favorite Bronson's:

Breakheart Pass (1975) - And probably in my top five movies all time. Ed Lauter and Robert Tessier, so many great actors in this. David Huddleston, Charles Durning! I never get sick of watching this.

Death Hunt (1981) - So good. All of Bronson's 70's flicks are just filled with great actors. William Sanderson, Andrew Stevens. Ed Lauter shows up.

White Buffalo (1977) - Goofy but great. Makes a fun double feature with Death Hunt when you want more Bronson on snow action. Kim Novak, John Carradine, Martin Kove! Ed Lauter shows up.

Chato's Land (1972) - He's more of a presence, I think he has only two lines? But man what a great flick. Jack Palance's death scene is a favorite, it just goes on and on.

Evil that Men Do (1984) Favorite of his later sleazier output. Great Mexico locations!
                          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

THE EVIL THAT MEN DO is a favorite of mine as well. I like Mexican grunge movies and all those films Bronson did with J. Lee Thompson. Do you watch the Columbia DVD or the Hens' Tooth DVD? isn't one of them cut? There were censorship issues with one of the DVD's as I recall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EvilThatMenDo-1984.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	343447

Comment

I have the Columbia dvd. Not sure if it's cut.
                              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                                THE EVIL THAT MEN DO is a favorite of mine as well. I like Mexican grunge movies and all those films Bronson did with J. Lee Thompson. Do you watch the Columbia DVD or the Hens' Tooth DVD? isn't one of them cut? There were censorship issues with one of the DVD's as I recall.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6960[/ATTACH]
                                My cousin wrote this film. He loved Charlie - he also spent every day on the set that this was filmed (HIGHLY unusual for a writer). I've been pestering him for years to write a book about the making of this film and his memories of Bronson. My favorite story is how he wrote the "bi-sexual swinger's" bar dialog and expected Bronson to reject it outright but Charlie thought it was great. Its a highlight of the film.

Comment

Working...
                                X