No announcement yet.

Tarantino Making A Manson Movie - Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought the soundtrack was a good job of NOT making the obvious choices.
    Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
      ...the need to introduce a fucking narrator after two thirds of the film...
      I didn't understand that choice either. The silver lining, I guess, is that it's only in part of the film rather than throughout. I don't think I would have made it past the 30 minute mark if it had been.
      Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

• I thought the narration was a decent bait and switch, sort of a parody of those true crime shows where the narrator is leading you up to the dreaded moment you've been expecting, but then... surprise!
        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• I probably need to see this again. I went from loving it to liking it to being quite annoyed by it, specifically by the end. I thought the rendering on LA was absolutely breath-taking. I couldn't look away when Margot Robbie was on screen and also thought DeCaprio was excellent. I liked the insights into the plight of the actor, into the craft of acting. The ending though. As has been said, why even bother using Tate, Polanski and the Manson Family, why conclude the film there and then if you're going to rewrite history? I suppose the very title tells us we're watching a fairy tale, and as a love letter to Hollywood, perhaps it has to have a happy ending.
          s.chivers
          Last edited by s.chivers; 08-25-2019, 06:09 PM.
          https://carnalcinema.blog

Comment

• I saw this in theatre three times. Breezy ride through L.A. is best Tarantino since Kill Bill Vol. 2. Lovely period depiction with endlessly re-watchable scenes of Brad and Leo cruising up and down those Hollywood Hills, and I'm still in awe of the ending. Thematically closest to Jackie Brown, though not quite on the same level. Could have done with a bit less of Leo in the film sets; some of that doesn't hold up on repeat viewings and needed tighter editing.

Also gotta love the Bruce Lee scene not only because it's funny as hell, but also because finally there is a movie that doesn't have its tongue up Lee's arse but instead dares to poke some fun of him. How unexpected!

My girlfriend's got the hots for Leo, but isn't Brad much sexier? No complaints about his topless scene. Some years back I saw Tokyo Tribe three times in theatre just for Nana Seino's breasts, so I guess exposing yourself to topless Brad three times makes it even.

Originally posted by Headless Body View Post
            I completely disagree with the Death Proof hate.
            Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
            I'm with you on that one. Russell is top notch, the car is rad, the stunt work is amazing. The girls are gorgeous. I dig that movie quite a bit.
            Absolutely. The only film I've ever witnessed getting an applause from Japanese audiences! That was a double feature with Taxi Driver, both 35mm of course. The theatre was so packed that a few few viewers had to stand as there were no more seats left, even though they had been running that double feature from morning to night for a full week!

Comment

• Originally posted by Takuma View Post
              Absolutely. The only film I've ever witnessed getting an applause from Japanese audiences! That was a double feature with Taxi Driver, both 35mm of course. The theatre was so packed that a few few viewers had to stand as there were no more seats left, even though they had been running that double feature from morning to night for a full week!
              Amazing!
              Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

• Yeah, great pictures Takuma!

Comment

• China cancels the release of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...lywood-1248652
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Well, that's just silly.

Comment

• Fuck China.
                      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• I despise censorship in all its forms.
                        But, yeah, IF it had to happen to someone's film, QT would be high on that list.........................

Comment

• Say it.
                          LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• China is based. The fewer people worldwide that are exposed to QT's garbage the better. I would elaborate further but I've been rebuked by Ian before, so I shall henceforth tread lightly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                              Well, that's just silly.
                              I think it got silly already when they banned yellow rubber ducks and Winnie the Pooh

Comment

• Originally posted by 47lab View Post
                                China is based. The fewer people worldwide that are exposed to QT's garbage the better. I would elaborate further but I've been rebuked by Ian before, so I shall henceforth tread lightly.

Just know you are not alone in your opinion. I am with you regarding QT.
                                For a director who is supposedly such a fan of exploitation cinema, he sure hasn't learned fuck all about effective storytelling from the cinema he supposedly cherishes.
                                "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Working...
                                X