No announcement yet.

Ghostbusters Remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally watched this because it popped up on Netflix in the UK. I don't think I need to say that it didn't 'work' for me. I don't 'get' many modern Hollywood comedies anyway, to be honest: the humour just isn't there for me. However, I don't think I've ever seen so many glaring continuity errors in a biggish budget Hollywood picture, and little continuity mistakes don't normally bother me. But there are huge chunks of this film where medium shots are cut into a master shot and the actors aren't in anywhere near the same position they were in the master, then the filmmakers cut back to the master shot and the actor is in a different position. Or they cut from a master shot in which a character is seated to a medium shot in which the same character seems to be standing. All other issues I had with the film aside (it's not funny; aside from Kate McKinnon, none of the major cast members have any screen presence or charisma), it's seriously sloppy filmmaking. I'd expect these kinds of continuity errors in, say, a Jess Franco film and take them as part of the ride, like improvisation in jazz and as an index of the relative paucity of resources and time; but in a slick and polished Hollywood picture with all the money and resources these chaps had, really there's little to no excuse.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

The Plinkett review sums it up really well.

Worth watching to see Plinkett deconstruct a really bad comedy and how some of the comedy could have worked with better editing and direction.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
        Worth watching to see Plinkett deconstruct a really bad comedy and how some of the comedy could have worked with better editing and direction.
        I don't know if it would have worked better, to be honest. There's very little in the script that you could salvage, imo. The film reminded me a lot of SCOOBY DOO 2: MONSTERS UNLEASHED.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
          I don't 'get' many modern Hollywood comedies anyway, to be honest: the humour just isn't there for me.
          I feel you are my british twin sometimes, Paul.
          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Jason Reitman has been secretly working on a new Ghostbusters movie.

https://ew.com/trailers/2019/01/16/j...-movie-teaser/

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I didn't expect to see another Ghostbusters movie after the poor box office of Ghostclits. Suspect this will be a modestly budgeted version. Let's face it, it's not going to come close to the original, so why bother? It won't really have to be very good at all and still be the second best one.
              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Ghostclits. Nice.
                "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I tried to keep an open mind about the 2016 version. Then I paid to see it...

The most annoying females in a movie since Death Proof.
                  agent999
                  Last edited by agent999; 01-16-2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I watched most of the movie on FX twice. First time I caught it halfway to the end then the next time, I caught it from the beginning. It's awful. It's just not funny.

Comment

• Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Well if it didn't work with women, let's try children...

Animals next.

Comment

• It's odd to me how much current entertainment relies on nostalgia triggers seeing as how nostalgia requires prolonged absence. You can't miss something if it never goes away and yet I get the impression that we're supposed to feel a certain amount of sentimentality seeing the ghost trap and the Ecto-1 and all that. Get online for ten minutes and you're likely to see something Ghostbuster related without even trying. Walk into Target and you can probably grab a Slimer Funko Pop off the shelf. Seeing these dufus kids find all this hoo hah does nothing for me because I see the fucking Ecto-1 every time I go to a fucking comic book convention.

I'm not going to bother checking but I'm sure that as I type this someone on YouTube is compiling a "23 EASTER EGGS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED IN THE NEW GHOSTBUSTERS TRAILER!!!" video full of screen caps of Rubiks Cubes and pictures of Harold Ramis in the background of a shot and all that bullshit.
                          Toyboy
                          like a hole in the head
                          Last edited by Toyboy; 12-09-2019, 09:48 PM.
                          Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

• I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
                            "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• It's exhausting watching all the energy that goes into forcing these IPs down our collective throats. It's had the opposite effect on me and has made me resent most of these things I once loved and I have to remind myself that the original movies can still be fun; Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Alien, Back to the Future etc., but I've long reached my saturation point and they just don't capture my imagination anymore. If I never get to watch any of them again I will be ok.

The part that annoys me (and I admit I'm easily annoyed) is all the grown-ass people that will try and convince me it's good. They might be good I just don't care.
                              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• This looks like a reasonable reboot. They are wisely trying to appeal to a new generation, while trying not to piss off the original fans too much. It looks like something you could take your kids or nephews to see and possibly make you smile a few times as well. I know it's hard to accept because we grew up with the originals, but these movies aren't necessarily being marketed to us anymore. There's certainly going to be a weird mixture of people in the audience for this one: cynical middle-aged men and lots of kids.
                                Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Working...
                                X