Random FRANCO Ramblings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
    Received the Image disc of LOS AMANTES DE LAS ISLA DEL DIABLO. It's widescreen 2:35, perhaps a bit stretched, anamorphic, 80 minutes 24 seconds, and copyrighted 1972. So it's a 1972 film. No English dub, but there's optional English subtitles. The cover art is NOT reversible. I still don't know if Image released the film in English in the edition with the English title -- DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS. I don't suppose that would make much sense, but I'll buy it just to find out in my next go-round.
    Unless I'm reading you wrong you're asking if Image released it separately with an English dub? If that's the case, no, I don't believe that they did. There's only one domestic DVD release that I'm aware of and the Spanish language (with Eng. subs) Image disc is it.

There's a Tartan UK disc that pairs it up with Night Of The Assassins but it's in Spanish with Eng. subs as well.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=232
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I asked Severin over the weekend on their FB, if their Franco releases would be re-releases of prior Franco releases, or new stuff entirely. This was their reply.

Venus is owned by Blue Underground and VL (Vampyros Lesbos) sadly fell into the library of a major company so is untouchable by us. Our upcoming Francos will be Blu and never before on disc in the US and, in the case of one title, anywhere in the world... currently being transferred from a long lost film element.

Let the speculation begin!
      EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott MacDonald View Post
        VL (Vampyros Lesbos) sadly fell into the library of a major company so is untouchable by us.
        Shame about this, but the rest of your message carries some good news, Scott. Looks like the moths will be let out of my wallet once again this year
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• If a major company owns it (I'm betting LG), than I'm going to assume a decent release is off the cards for quite some time.
          EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

• Something to look forward to from Synapse. "Our upcoming Francos will be Blu and never before on disc in the US and, in the case of one title, anywhere in the world..." Francos as in plural. I wonder how many that is. Two? Three? How many years apart? Could it be that we'll get more than one release in the year instead of being tormented by releasing only one a year like they're doing with Hammer? Their Hammer transfers do not inspire confidence.

I suspect THE OBSCENE MIRROR will be one of the releases. Yes I do.
            "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
            - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Something to look forward to from Synapse. "Our upcoming Francos will be Blu and never before on disc in the US and, in the case of one title, anywhere in the world..." Francos as in plural. I wonder how many that is. Two? Three? How many years apart? Could it be that we'll get more than one release in the year instead of being tormented by releasing only one a year like they're doing with Hammer? Their Hammer transfers do not inspire confidence.

I suspect THE OBSCENE MIRROR will be one of the releases. Yes I do.
              I've got a feeling it's more likely to be those late-1970s/early-1980s productions - like SINFONIA EROTICA, THE STORY OF LINDA, LILIAN, etc.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

• I'll be just as pleased with those, Paul, providing they are telecined properly and don't end up like VAMPIRE CIRCUS. Synapse should have issued a recall and replacement disc on that one.

Comment

I'll be just as pleased with those, Paul
                  Me too, although THE OBSCENE MIRROR or THE BRUTAL NIGHTS OF LINDA would be a dream come true.

Comment

• It's Severin, not Synapse, that's doing these upcoming Francos.

Comment

• Slip of the tongue, Jared. Got confused over the s's. A thousand pardons.

Will Severin be upgrading previous Franco releases to blu?

Blue Underground announced Fifty Shades of de Sade, a collection of Franco's de Sade films in one box-set for April 23:

Fifty Shades of De Sade
                      - Marquis de Sade's Justine ( Justine ) (Restored Extended Version) (1969)
                      - Eugenie... the Story of Her Journey into Perversion ( Isla de la muerte, La ) (1970)
                      - Eugénie de Sade ( Eugénie ) (1970)
                      - Justine de Sade (1972) director Claude Pierson.

Nothing that hasn't been released before but tying Franco in with THE Fifty Shades of Grey bestsellers is not a bad idea. That should sell a few DVD's to the Grey buffs.

Actually, Franco did make a couple of other de Sade inspired films that haven't been released here, there or anywhere. That may be an opportunity for some enterprising home video distributor to further capitalize on the Fifty Shades of Grey connection -- bondage and all that -- if they can secure the elements and the rights.
                      Richard--W
                      a straight arrow
                      Last edited by Richard--W; 01-22-2013, 04:29 AM.

Comment

• Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Oh and then there's this:

Al Pereira vs. the Alligator Ladies - which is Franco's latest directorial effort and debuting soon.

Trailer is definitely NSFW (don't be surprised if youtube pulls it down soon). It's great to see him still working at least.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• The same user also uploaded a trailer for 2012's Crypt Of The Condemned, which I also think is so far unreleased?

Sorry. Slow work day, been looking up Franco oddities on the internet to kill time.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I'd love to believe that Yoda story, but I think it's a case of Franco's trademark blarney... Wonderfully told blarney, but froth and nonsense all the same. He's a wind-up artist of the first order.

Comment

• Crypt Of The Condemned have aired on some festival I think, so far at least. Al Pereira vs. the Alligator Ladies will go up on a few select theaters in Spain in march, the first in around 15 years not to go directly to video/dvd.
                                Collection: http://geten.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1

Comment

Working...
                                X