No announcement yet.

Random FRANCO Ramblings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is footage missing from the Image disc RITES OF FRANKENSTEIN ? Is there an alternate version in release somewhere?

Ian, what did you think of THE OBSCENE MIRROR ?
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• I never did get around to ordering it. With the holidays, travel, then more travel it sort of dropped off of the priority list.

Regarding Rites, the Image disc is the clotch Spanish version though if memory serves correct the nude footage from the spicier version is included in the extras. I don't personally know of anything else out there related to the movie that isn't included on the disc, but given that this is Franco, I would not be in the least bit surprised to learn that there was more out there somewhere.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
        Is footage missing from the Image disc RITES OF FRANKENSTEIN ? Is there an alternate version in release somewhere?
        Like Ian said, the alternate footage from the 'unclothed' French version of the film is included as an extra on the Image disc, but (imo) the alternate version of the film is much superior to the Spanish version released by Image - although, sadly, all DVDs seem to contain the Spanish version (the Image disc, the German X Rated DVD, the UK disc from Tartan). The 'unclothed' edit is a tighter film overall, eliminating the subplot involving Lina Romay's character. The only way to watch the alternate version is via the Dutch VHS release, which sadly is cropped to 1.85:1 or thereabouts - and so offers an equally compromised version of the film to the various DVD releases.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Thanks, gents.

I'd like to see that French version somehow. I'll poke around. I'll bet the Dutch VHS isn't English friendly, is it?

Image also released DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS (1974) and NIGHT OF THE SKULL (aka NIGHT OF THE ASSASSINS, 1976). One review on amazon says that all the nudity and violence have been cut. Is that a fact, does anyone know? Are there more complete versions on DVD somewhere? Has anyone seen the region 2 double-feature disc on Tartan? How does that compare to the Image discs in region 1?

Comment

• Also, it is not clear to me if DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS is the same version as LOS AMANTES DE LAS ISLA DEL DIABLO. Are these two different cuts or is the English title dubbed and Spanish title subbed? Image's description on amazon does not make a distinction. It could be Image released the same version under two different covers, one Spanish and one English. Who knows?
            Richard--W
            a straight arrow
            Last edited by Richard--W; 01-13-2013, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
              Thanks, gents.

I'd like to see that French version somehow. I'll poke around. I'll bet the Dutch VHS isn't English friendly, is it?

Image also released DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS (1974) and NIGHT OF THE SKULL (aka NIGHT OF THE ASSASSINS, 1976). One review on amazon says that all the nudity and violence have been cut. Is that a fact, does anyone know? Are there more complete versions on DVD somewhere? Has anyone seen the region 2 double-feature disc on Tartan? How does that compare to the Image discs in region 1?
              The Dutch tape is in English with Dutch subtitles, Richard.

DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS is indeed the 'softer' cut. There's a more risque edit that was released under the title QUARTIER DES FEMMES. Both versions of the film are substantially different: although both edits have roughly the same running time, each cut contains half an hour of exclusive footage. I've got the Tartan release, by the way; I believe the Tartan double-feature discs are derived from the same sources as the Image releases of the same titles.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

• That's helpful, thanks.

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                The Dutch tape is in English with Dutch subtitles, Richard.
                Then one of the greymarket companies will have transferred that tape to a DVD-R. Time to poke around.

I went ahead and bought Image's LOS AMANTES DE LAS ISLA DEL DIABLO. An amazon marketplace seller gouged me $2.25 for it New, plus $2.98 postage.

Still looking for NIGHT OF THE SKULL. Has anyone seen that?
                Richard--W
                a straight arrow
                Last edited by Richard--W; 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• I have! It's an atmospheric murder mystery but with a light Franco touch. It's very much like a German krimi and is surprisingly tame for this era of Franco's filmography. As far as Franco's body of work is concerned, it's middling (imo, of course) but definitely worth tracking down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                    I have! It's an atmospheric murder mystery but with a light Franco touch. It's very much like a German krimi and is surprisingly tame for this era of Franco's filmography. As far as Franco's body of work is concerned, it's middling (imo, of course) but definitely worth tracking down.
                    Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Far from his best film but a perfectly entertaining 'mystery' of sorts with a few odd bits that definitely ring true as 'Franco touches.'
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Saw this in my local Marks and Sparks. They're selling Jess Franco-inspired fashions now, apparently. Made me chuckle.

Comment

• Nice. Personally I'd like to see that look make a comeback.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Hahaha. Just amazing.

Comment

• That "look" never went away, though. It just doesn't get window dressing in the stores very often.

Check the retro noir lingerie shop in the U.K. that I'm about to post in the Everything Else forum.
                            Richard--W
                            a straight arrow
                            Last edited by Richard--W; 01-15-2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• I will do that. From home.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Received the Image disc of LOS AMANTES DE LAS ISLA DEL DIABLO. It's widescreen 2:35, perhaps a bit stretched, anamorphic, 80 minutes 24 seconds, and copyrighted 1972. So it's a 1972 film. No English dub, but there's optional English subtitles. The cover art is NOT reversible. I still don't know if Image released the film in English in the edition with the English title -- DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS. I don't suppose that would make much sense, but I'll buy it just to find out in my next go-round.

Comment

Working...
                                X