No announcement yet.

The Danzig Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also think his first four are essential with HTGK being my favorite too.
    I've also come to appreciate most of his other stuff including the two disc outtakes.
    I love his version of Cat People (Putting Out fire)

However, I have no interest in his Aria's.

Comment

Thanks, Tom

This has me a bit concerned..."I'm stripping some of the stuff down to the bare bones, very old-school fifties echoey slap-back vocals."

I find some of his music "too stripped"
      The added keyboards play a large part in the brilliance of How The Gods Kill for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Koukol View Post
        This has me a bit concerned..."I'm stripping some of the stuff down to the bare bones, very old-school fifties echoey slap-back vocals."

I find some of his music "too stripped"
        The added keyboards play a large part in the brilliance of How The Gods Kill for me.
        Well it makes perfect sense aesthetically, retaining the spirit of the original recordings. He was on Elvis radio earlier in the year and talked about how he loved the rawness of the super early Elvis recordings.

I assume your referring to the production of the first two albums? Certainty the thicker production on How the Gods Kill is exactly what that set of songs was calling for. Same goes for the added textural bells and whistles on 4p but the meat and potato's blues based sound was perfect for the S/T and Lucifuge.
        LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
          Well it makes perfect sense aesthetically, retaining the spirit of the original recordings. He was on Elvis radio earlier in the year and talked about how he loved the rawness of the super early Elvis recordings.

I assume your referring to the production of the first two albums? Certainty the thicker production on How the Gods Kill is exactly what that set of songs was calling for. Same goes for the added textural bells and whistles on 4p but the meat and potato's blues based sound was perfect for the S/T and Lucifuge.

Yeah, I was referring to the first two releases.
          Don't get me wrong...I love them and wouldn't want them changed.
          But we are now more accustomed to a more layering of sound.
          I get the impression he's sometimes more concerned about playing songs live, with the fewest band members, over the Art of recording.

However, you're right...this project might benefit.

Speaking of the Art of recording...I wish THE RAMONES first album was recorded differently.
          We all know Punks had a hard time getting producers accept a noisier sound todays Punk bands take for granted.
          But If they're not going to layer sounds at least double the guitar left and right like they did with LEAVE HOME.

So I'm excited to hear the upcoming mono mix of the first RAMONES.
          I just hope they don't go to the extreme of board distortion like Iggy did with the remaster of RAW POWER

Comment

I get the impression he's sometimes more concerned about playing songs live, with the fewest band members, over the Art of recording.
            You might be onto something there. Then again, some of the later albums are pretty thick sounding, Satan's Child and Circle of Snakes especially. I do wonder if he was thinking of the live show with Blackacidevil though.

Comment

Yes, only the first few sound a little dated since I can only hear one guitar and bass.
              Again, sounding "dated" is not a bad thing.

To be clearer... my fear was that quote might lead to what we got with a lot of songs from SKELETONS.
              I don't know if they're actual demos but they sound like demos.
              They're like drawings that still need to be filled in.

I just had a thought...Is that why it was called SKELETONS?
              I thought it just had to do with the music that inspired him that he pulled out of his chest (closet)

Comment

I just had a thought...Is that why it was called SKELETONS?
                I thought it just had to do with the music that inspired him that he pulled out of his chest (closet)
                "These are my skeletons," he affirms. "You may or may not know that I dig these songs. You could say that some of this music is the actual basis and skeleton of what I listened to growing up — ultimately informing the kind of music I like. It's the foundation. If you took Elvis and SABBATH out of my life, I probably wouldn't be the Glenn Danzig you know! I'm glad both sides are represented on this record."
                Coincidentally I happened upon that quote from this bit of Skeletons related news, DANZIG Releases 'Skeletons' Limited-Edition Picture Disc

Comment

Thanks, Tom.

Comment

Damn...the Elvis thing is only an EP

Comment

Danzig on Chris Jericho's podcast:

Pretty much all of life's essentials are covered, horror, music, comics, wrestling. This was done before the Misfits reunion announcement and he's got a clever way of dancing around that issue during the interview.

Comment

Comment

Comment

DANZIG To Release New Album In May; 2017's 'Blackest Of The Black' Festival Announced

The new DANZIG album will be released in mid-May. This will be the first collection of all-new DANZIG material in seven years, following 2010's critically acclaimed "Deth Red Sabaoth". The title for the new disc will be announced shortly.

This June also marks the 25th anniversary of "Danzig III: How The Gods Kill". "How The Gods Kill" was the first DANZIG album to crack Billboard's Top 30 and the first DANZIG album produced by the band's frontman and namesake Glenn Danzig himself. In honor of this momentous occasion, DANZIG will play a select handful of shows this summer and will perform many songs from "How The Gods Kill".

In other news, DANZIG and MINISTRY will play at this year's edition of the "Blackest Of The Black" festival, set to take place May 26-27 at Oak Canyon Park in Silverado, California. The two-day event will feature over twenty bands and over twenty "evil attractions." Look for the full details to be announced on March 27.

Comment

Working...
                            X