What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched two of today's arrivals:

WAVES OF LUST -- I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It's leisurely paced, to say the least, but its a decent little thriller. I may be partial to it because I dig the whole "hanging out at sea" vibe of this kind of movie: lots of lounging around on a boat, scuba-diving, etc. Took me awhile to warm to it, but in the end I definitely enjoyed it. I'd also point out to anyone else who picks up the new Raro DVD that the "Erotic Tsunami" feature is well worth watching. It's compiled from interviews with Deodato and his son, Lamberto Bava (who wrote the story, but not the final script) and Al Cliver. It's pretty entertaining; I love seeing interviews with Deodato in that kind of thing because he tends to be amusingly blunt. On Al Cliver "[On set] they named him after a kind of rock. He looks good..but he's not an actor." Also reveals that his wife wouldn't let him make the film unless he cast her in the lead role (he did). Not because she needed the part (she didn't) but because she wanted to brag to Ornella Muti about having done an erotic film with her husband (?!?).

BLACK MAGIC RITES -- I'm not a big fan of Polselli (although I'll still watch this and Delirium for Calderoni). I think if this one were half an hour shorter it would be an absolute blast. But at 100 minutes, all the manic energy and batshit insanity just gets exhausting. The blu-ray looks *amazing* though. Kino/Redemption really knocked that one out of the park. The blu-ray also contains a trailer for Hatchet for the Honeymoon; if the trailer is any indication all the previous DVD editions of that one are about to become very, very obsolete.

Comment

• THEATRE BIZARRE - well, that was nearly a waste of time. Stanley's segment was the only one I thought was worthwhile. The rest just didn't gel the same way his did. Bah!

Comment

• I honestly didn't like any of the segments and I'm a big fan of those directors. Huge disappointment.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison Jane View Post
          Halloween IV. Again.
          Halloween V... again.
          Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• I just sat through Gaspar Noe's "Enter the Void". That was a very very strange film experience.
            "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• THE BOOGENS. First time I've seen it and I can understand why people have such fond memories of this one. Likeable, hokey fun.

Some awesome dog acting too. Spoiler: Poor Todd.

Comment

• That dog was really a major character, wasn't he? Good lord he must've been a diva, haha. Crazy how this film was pretty rare for ages and then TCM of all channels runs it here in the US and a couple years later it's on BD.

TERROR ON TOUR - up and coming rock combo The Clowns (think KISS with even simpler riffs) dismember mannequins on stage as part of their act...someone in their stage makeup starts doing the real thing to some of the groupies. This should have been a cheese fest for the ages and on some levels it works but overall it feels like a missed opportunity. The actors playing The Clowns have the charisma of a week old newspaper and the gore is too tame. They look very funny though. It's no BLOOD TRACKS that's for certain.
                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Two Orphan Vampires - this is not Rollin's best movie, no siree.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• So far today I have watched:
                    Sweet Smell of Success This ranks as one of the best movies I've seen this year, for sure. So close to perfection, and the Bluray from Criterion looked beautiful.
                    and:
                    My Samurai Probably one of the crappiest movies I have seen, EVER. Kinda feels like it could have been made by Andreas Bethmann...
                    Collection: http://geten.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1

Comment

• Originally posted by Geten View Post
                      So far today I have watched:
                      Sweet Smell of Success This ranks as one of the best movies I've seen this year, for sure. So close to perfection, and the Bluray from Criterion looked beautiful.
                      Man, I LOVE that movie. Didn't know anything about it until the Criterion release, but it immediately became a favorite...

Comment

• Achilles and the Tortoise - Dir. Takeshi Kitano (2008)

A hilarious & scathing indictment of the contemporary art scene. One of Kitano's best IMO. If you can receive NHK World then I would also recommend the art program he hosts called TAKESHI Art Beat.

Comment

• Fairview Falls - microbudget slasher shot upstate with a few amusing moments, some good kill scenes, a cool guitar playing fat guy, mobsters and other assorted randomess.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• NIGHT OF THE DAMNED - I was tempted to start a thread for this, it's so oddball but I wondered if many have seen it. A professor and his wife are summoned by an old friend of his to a castle where they find the fellow in a bad way. Is it an ancient curse or is there something closer to home at play? Late gothic entry with some really wacky, near Polsellian visuals. This one improves with a few viewings, then you can forget the threadbare plot and just be amazed at the trippy goings on. This is from the director of CRAZY DESIRES OF A MURDERER, a tedious gothic giallo that shows very little of the flair he displayed here. This really needs a dvd/BD release.

VAMPIRE OF THE OPERA - And speaking of Polselli, this one's an early film but he's already showing the tendency to go off the rails with the bizarre imagery. It was nice to finally see this one with subtitles.
                            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein - the wolfman scared the shit out of me when I first saw this as a kid. He's still kind of creepy. GREAT movie.

Black Magic Rites - Awesome in so many ways, and yet, complete nonsense in so many others.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Plague Of The Zombies - I've always liked this movie and last night confirmed why - it's actually creepy. Most zombie movies are not, at least in my opinion, the exceptions being the original NOTLD and this one. It holds up really well, lots of great atmosphere.
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X