No announcement yet.

The Random Shaw Brothers Viewing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been DVR-ing El Rey Shaw stuff like crazy, need to hunker down and watch a bunch, because there's new stuff all of the time. No HD offered in the area, but it allows me to stockpile! A few Celestial Shaw titles on Hulu Plus too.

Really want that THE DUEL blu, any chance it will secretly be all region?

Comment

• Slim, I'd say, as they were pretty rigid about the region coding on the DVD releases.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• So according to this post here the set listed here is of decent quality and has lossless audio and English subs.

he 36th Chamber of Shaolin Trilogy Blu-ray set includes the three classic Shaw Brothers kung fu films directed by Lau Kar Leung and starring Gordon Liu - The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978), Return of the 36th Chamber (1980) and Disciples of the 36th Chamber (1985) - as well as postcards and special features (interview with director, behind-the-scenes, trailers).

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978)
        One of the most classic titles in the Shaw Brothers canon, the first 36th Chamber of Shaolin stars Gordon Liu as a young student whose family and school are wiped out by oppressive Manchu government. Injured and on the run, he seeks refuge at the Shaolin temple and excels in his martial arts training. When his training is complete, he returns to the outside world to seek revenge and eventually establishes the 36th Chamber, dedicated to the training of secular disciples at Shaolin.

Return of the 36th Chamber (1980)
        Gordon Liu returns to the 36th Chamber in the new role of a small-time con man posing as a monk. After sneaking his way into Shaolin, he is given the chance to work at the temple, and begins learning martial arts on his own through observing the monks' training.

Disciples of the 36th Chamber (1985)
        Gordon Liu reprises the role of monk San Te from the first film, this time assuming a mentor role for a reckless young martial artist and future folk hero named Fong Sai Yuk (Hsiao Ho), who is sent to take refuge at Shaolin after clashing with Manchu officials. Fong's continued resistance against the Manchu government brings danger to all of the disciples of 36th Chamber.

* Special Features:
        - Trailer
        - Behind The Scenes
        - Photo Gallery
        ~ A Hero Birthplace
        ~ Hero On The Scaffolding
        ~ Interview With Liu Chia-hui
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Sadly, no English audio.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Coming from Filmart in Germany, don't know if it's got Eng. subs or audio yet.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• That's supposed to have English audio according to Amazon.de

http://www.amazon.de/Das-Todeslied-S...ANG+YU+SHAOLIN

Comment

• Thanks, I didn't think to check the Amazon listing. I love this movie and it looks like this is the only Blu-ray in town.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I will most likely get this too, as I have never seen it. I do like THE CHINESE BOXER. And unless im mistaken this is THE RETURN OF THE CHINESE BOXER. Its not a Shaw Brothers movie as I understand it but a Taiwanese production.

Comment

• Netflix users in the US may be interested in this...

http://www.cityonfire.com/classic-sh...h-a-vengeance/

Avenging Eagle
                    Come Drink with Me
                    Disciples of the 36th Chamber
                    Executioners From Shaolin
                    Five Shaolin Masters
                    Heroes of the East
                    Kid With The Golden Arm
                    Martial Arts of Shaolin
                    Shaolin Martial Arts

Those are all streaming in Chinese with Eng. subs in HD.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Source.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CNzb9bBUYAAbH7A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	349010
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Individual listings are up now for Lifeline...

http://www.yesasia.com/global/lifeli...0-en/info.html

...and Justice My Foot.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=264600

I haven't seen either. I'm interested in the Johnnie To movie though - has anyone seen it? Thoughts?
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Coming to Blu-ray from Film Art in 2016, no word on Eng. subs or audio yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	166759_927958080592115_2843038317489342142_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	349580
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Not SBs related but T.V.P. Vengeance is putting out an English friendly 3-disc dual format (Blu/DVD) edition of Carter Wong's 1977 flick, THE FATAL FLYING GUILLOTINES. It's up for pre-order now at Amazon Germany and as expected the pricing is in line with their past Shaw Brothers blu ray releases.

Comment

• Great news!

Looks like they are also doing some others , such as One Armed Swordsman and others which they only mention the German titles of

Comment

• Ouch at that price though...

Comment

Working...
                                X