The Random Shaw Brothers Viewing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 47lab View Post
    According to the T.V.P. Vengeance facebook page, the SBs Ho Meng-hua directed THE FLYING GUILLOTINE with Chen Kuan-tai is getting a blu ray release the first quarter of this year. Nice artwook on the mediabook version. :up:

That media book looks nice and I may have to pick it up, any idea what's the 3 discs? I assume they are the movies on 2 of them, but what about that third?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogart View Post
      THE DEADLY DUO release from FilmArt was the last martial arts one I know to have English subs. Those Filmart ones since (BLACK MAGIC, THE DUEL) do not. THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN and SUPER INFRA MAN do have English subs (for some reason this was not stopped by Celestial?)

In terms of the older TVP releases not sure which was the last to have English. I do know the following titles have at least English subs (some also have the English dub):

NEW ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN
      RETURN OF THE 5 DEADLY VENOMS
      5 SHAOLIN MASTERS
      DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN
      SHAOLIN AVENGERS
      5 MAN ARMY
      THE SAVAGE 5

Also the Shaw Blu rays from MVL do NOT have English (INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN, SHAOLIN TEMPLE, MAD MONKEY KUNG FU, KILLER CLANS, HEROES TWO, 36 CHAMBERS TRILOGY, BLOOD BROTHERS, BOXER FROM SHANTUNG, HEROIC ONES)
      Thanks for the info. I have all of the English friendly ones going by that list except Deadly Duo but I already own the Media Blasters blu ray which is fine. I know a guy who bought the MVL blus to make custom blu rays for himself and close friends.

well I have to look at the positive and hope IVL releases more of the SBs catalog on blu ray as they did recently with BOXER FROM SHANGTUNG as that seems to be the only source of English friendly blu rays since the German pipeline has dried up now.

Originally posted by Mark C. View Post
      That media book looks nice and I may have to pick it up, any idea what's the 3 discs? I assume they are the movies on 2 of them, but what about that third?
      Not sure since I can't read German? Maybe some interviews like they did on their past Celestial releases and a bunch of trailers and the original film. Like Bogart mentioned, this is not going to be English friendly but I might buy it and mux the subs from the DD dvd on my HTPC.
      Last edited by 47lab; 02-11-2016, 12:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 47lab View Post

well I have to look at the positive and hope IVL releases more of the SBs catalog on blu ray as they did recently with BOXER FROM SHANGTUNG as that seems to be the only source of English friendly blu rays since the German pipeline has dried up now.

Yes hopefully that is the plan. If they can also include the English dubs that would be great. They missed a trick with the One Armed Swordsman Blu rays as im not too keen on buying only an english subbed version. In any case im not looking to upgrade too many of my Shaw dvds, though im still hoping for some horror and rare wuxia stuff.

Comment

Yes hopefully that is the plan. If they can also include the English dubs that would be great. They missed a trick with the One Armed Swordsman Blu rays as im not too keen on buying only an english subbed version. In any case im not looking to upgrade too many of my Shaw dvds, though im still hoping for some horror and rare wuxia stuff.
          TVP withholding English subtitles at the behest of Celestial is a proverbial dagger in the heart - especially with TVP planning on releasing KILLERS ON WHEELS & SACRED KNIVES OF VENGEANCE in the near future. :down: I only have ZiiEagle box rips of both titles and would love to have a legit remastered release of both but especially KILLERS ON WHEELS.

Comment

• According to 88Films UK facebook page, they are launching an Asian films line called what else but 88 Asia. Their first blu ray release is going to be a Shaw Brothers horror title, HEX. It's been a long time since I've watched this but I don't recall it making any type of impression on me. I could think of a dozen other SB's horror titles that I would rather see on blu but oh well, it's a start at least.

Comment

• Awesome news! I thought Hex was great. Not a favourite by any stretch, but still. It's got a naked girl in it too! Hopefully more HK horror will follow. The crappy part is, this being 88 and all, they'll probably make due with the crappy transfers they are given by the rights holder in HK.

Comment

• Since we have some diehard SBs fans on here, thought I would take a gander & ask a question about a movie I saw a few years ago & forgot the title. It stars Chan Shen, one of the ubiquitous SBs character actors. He's probably known best for his portrayal of the head of the gang who targets mainland refugees to HK in LOST SOULS. In one of the more infamous scenes, he sodomizes one of the poor buggers as a birthday present from his minions. Once you've seen him, he's kind of hard to forget with his bug eyes and bald/shaven head.

Anyway, in the movie I'm talking about - he actually dons a wig and plays a super of high rise public estate. He's a loser with no prospects in love or money and the tenants treat him like shit on a daily basis. His luck eventually turns around when he hits the lottery and wins millions. He was able to win the lotto by consulting a ouija board which led him to the winning numbers on the condition that he give up his vices - namely gambling and being a sexual deviant. Of course, he promises he'll turn a new leaf & become an upstanding citizen if he can just win the lotto but soon the lure of wealth turns him into an even bigger asshole. He gets his comeuppance in the end with his arms being reduced to bloody stumps as he tries to get the ouija board to give him the winning numbers to the lotto yet again.

Does the synopsis sound familiar to anyone? I tried searching at hkmdb but it lists a staggering 167 films in Chan Sen's filmography! Like finding a needle in the proverbial haystack. Any help will be kindly appreciated. :up:

Comment

• Sounds like it might be HAUNTED TALES (Die Xian) (1980). Unfortunately ive never seen it but apparently its a 2 part anthology style film and the 2nd part involves a caretaker winning the lottery

Comment

Sounds like it might be HAUNTED TALES (Die Xian) (1980). Unfortunately ive never seen it but apparently its a 2 part anthology style film and the 2nd part involves a caretaker winning the lottery
                    Only released on VCD unfortunately.

Comment

Sounds like it might be HAUNTED TALES (Die Xian) (1980). Unfortunately ive never seen it but apparently its a 2 part anthology style film and the 2nd part involves a caretaker winning the lottery
                      Yeah, that's it. I never even knew it was part of an anthology...guess the first part was boring or I just missed it? But the second tale with Chan Sen was the shit. I'm going to have to look through all my unlabeled bootleg discs I have laying around & watch it again. Obviously a lame morality tale on the surface based on some Chinese fable or whatnot but in essence a rather entertaining sleazy exploitation flick. I should expect no less considering T.F. Mou directed it.

Comment

• Kaboom!

http://shawbrothersuniverse.com/
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Hopefully, Celestial is going to eventually put out the 760 titles from their library for digital streaming. This site currently doesn't really appeal to the enthusiast fan since the film library is limited to around 100 titles so far & diehard SB fans will have already purchased the physical copies of these titles anyway. I need to see the stuff put out on the Ziieagle box remastered in HD & the more obscure titles that never got any type of release before I get ecstatic.

Comment

• It appears that 1990's Look Out Officer is getting a Blu-ray release.

http://www.yesasia.com/look-out-offi...0-en/info.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	CrqH-j1WEAA_Jjg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	351185
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• So is HONG KONG, HONG KONG with Cherie Chung and Alex Man. I remember watching this back in the day and thinking it was a pretty grim portrayal of HK's underclass & mainland refugees. The whole angle with Alex Man as a kickboxing Rocky Balboa was kind of lame but at least it they had the good sense not to "Hollywood" the ending. Not sure I'd pay $40 for it though but maybe when DDDHouse has it for $20 down the line.

Comment

• Chor Yuen's classic DEATH DUEL (1977) starring Derek Yee is coming out on blu ray courtesy of IVL/Celestial. Pre-orders up now at Yesasia, buyoyo and dddhouse.

Derek Yee actually had plans to remake this movie for years and finally finished production last year but looks like crap IMHO compared to the original.

Comment

Working...
                                X