Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hwayi: A Monster Boy - My MOST anticipated film... (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although this film may not end up as creative and innovative as STGP, I hope that it is successful enough to give him more confidence (and bigger budgets) to maybe go back to something he REALLY wants to do for his next movie....

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
      Although this film may not end up as creative and innovative as STGP, I hope that it is successful enough to give him more confidence (and bigger budgets) to maybe go back to something he REALLY wants to do for his next movie....
      Yeah for sure, this sophomore effort from director Jang Joon Hwan is nothing like STGP in terms of the multi-mood experience. This film is completely devoid of the creativity that made STGP such a cult classic. That's not to say I'm entirely disappointed with what is essentially another turnkey Korean revenge/suspense thriller. Yes, it's quite derivative and predictable and character development is scantly addressed but it's redeemed a bit from being completely run of the mill by some of the action set pieces & gratuitous violence on display. It wouldn't surprise me to see Hollywood remaking this one in the near future.

Comment

I guess ang Joon Hwan was pretty much a director-for-hire on this one then?

I presume he is happy enough just to be working after getting blackballed from most producers after STGP flopped badly.

Not eagerly seeking this one out anymore after reading reviews of it (which mostly agree with your thoughts there 47LAB)...Will catch it if I see it cheap, or it turns up on cable one day.

Hopefully he is allowed to develop his own project 100% in the near future..

Maybe he will get to his dream project FARTMAN

- That reminds me of your long-fermented project Fart Man, which you have had in your mind since the 1990s.

Oh, Fart Man is a dream project I've always wanted to realize someday. It is about a boy who is born with a gift he never wanted; farting big and often. It has elements of a superhero film as well as those of a coming-of-age film. I heard Inception was such project to Christopher Nolan, something that he dreamed of for a long time, but could do only after making The Dark Knight first. I'm not sure yet if I can make it happen like Nolan did, but if it does, Fart Man will be the ultimate sci-fi fantasy yet rooted deeply in our real lives. (laugh)
        PLOT:
        Growing up, JUNG-GU was constantly tormented by everyone he knew because of the toxic and venomous smell of his farts. Despite the daily suffering at the hands of others, Jung-gu found solace in his parents' unconditional love and with his one friend who looked past his odorous shortcomings. Little did he know that darker and dangerous days were ahead of him.

As if fate was against him, he found himself alone in a cruel and unjust world. It was then when he decided to turn his curse into his gift and to fight for justice.
        Full interview here...
        http://koreanfilm.or.kr/webzine/sub/..._VIEW&wbSeq=69

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
          I guess ang Joon Hwan was pretty much a director-for-hire on this one then?

I presume he is happy enough just to be working after getting blackballed from most producers after STGP flopped badly.
          I think so too. Despite all the platitudes in that interview you linked about how the original script struck him as being powerful & moving, he readily admits the commercial appeal of such a film and hey, the guy needs to eat too and can't have another commercial flop like STGP.

Not eagerly seeking this one out anymore after reading reviews of it (which mostly agree with your thoughts there 47LAB)...Will catch it if I see it cheap, or it turns up on cable one day.

Hopefully he is allowed to develop his own project 100% in the near future..
          In hindsight, I probably would've been better served to just go ahead and re-watch STGP one more time. But like you said, if you have a chance to catch it on the cheap or you're absolutely bored and need a Korean movie fix, then you could do a lot worse than watching Hwayi.

That FART MAN project sounds like gold! I can just imagine the creative ways Joon-hwan could visually portray the paint peeling smelly kimchi induced farts onscreen. He should turn to crowd funding to raise the money for that project. I would certainly donate to see that FART MAN movie come to fruition.

Comment

Despite all the platitudes in that interview you linked about how the original script struck him as being powerful & moving, he readily admits the commercial appeal of such a film and hey, the guy needs to eat too and can't have another commercial flop like STGP.
            Yeah, this paradox struck me too...he raved about the script..but also noted that there was a certain "something" missing......sounds like he never found out what that "something " was!!..and working from someone else's script means his hands were ALREADY tied somewhat....You think STGP could have come from ANYONE ELSE'S mind?

Originally posted by 47lab View Post
            I would certainly donate to see that FART MAN movie come to fruition.
            and funnily enough, I think it would be pretty popular in Korea too....as they seem to be obsessed with body odours and emissions!!

It is very sad to hear that this movie is nothing special as the guy obviously has talent and imagination to spare..wasting his time on something as pedestrian as this appears to be should be a crime!!

It annoys me when shit like this happens and other talentless hacks get work out the wazoo as they are prepared to accept ANYTHING that is put their way.

I need to win heaps of money and I will personally bankroll ALL Jang Joon Hwan's personal movies and not let him have to worry about making money or box office receipts....

Comment

Working...
            X