Whatever happened to MY rock'n'roll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to MY rock'n'roll?

As I write this, I find myself listening to less and less rock'n'roll with each passing year. When I look at the records I've bought over the last 12 months, I think the only rock records I purchased were by people I know like Obnox or Chicken Snake. I find myself far more likely to listen to old Jazz, Gospel, Blues, Soundtrack and Soul records, if it's new music then it's probably Hip Hop or Electronic. I just can't get excited about rock music anymore, there are some new releases coming that may rekindle the flame like a new Kid Congo Powers record and the Wolf Manhattan Project but that's about it. That being said, I still get super excited about The Damned and Dr Feelgood.
    "I don't eat at taco joints unless there's a lawn care truck parked out front" - me

I think the most interesting stuff going on in rock these days is in the metal genres. There is also some decent post-punk coming out, but straight up rock n roll is mostly dead.

Comment

What both of you said . I haven't bought a new album by a new band in years. There's some pretty crazy stuff happening in metal as Kristian said, but metal isn't really my thing.

Comment

mistake on my part.
        Andrew Monroe
        Pallid Hands
        Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 02-06-2015, 09:33 PM.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Some new(ish) rock bands for El Chad to check out if he hasn't already:

Chastity Belt - kind of reminds of your old fave Iron Nipples, but more relaxed and sarcastic
          Rose Windows - solid psych rock
          Metz - noisy post hardcore goodness
          Sandrider - hit it hard and heavy without sliding too far into metal territory
          Survival Knife - post-hardcore from two of the guys who were in the classic band Unwound
          Marriages - a nice mix of post-rock and shoegaze
          Ty Segall - garage psych yeah
          OFF! - old school is the best school

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
            Some new(ish) rock bands for El Chad to check out if he hasn't already:

Chastity Belt - kind of reminds of your old fave Iron Nipples, but more relaxed and sarcastic
            Rose Windows - solid psych rock
            Metz - noisy post hardcore goodness
            Sandrider - hit it hard and heavy without sliding too far into metal territory
            Survival Knife - post-hardcore from two of the guys who were in the classic band Unwound
            Marriages - a nice mix of post-rock and shoegaze
            Ty Segall - garage psych yeah
            OFF! - old school is the best school
            I've got that first OFF! album and it's a mother! Gonna have to check out the rest
            "I don't eat at taco joints unless there's a lawn care truck parked out front" - me

Comment

Working...
            X