RIP Stompin' Tom Connors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Stompin' Tom Connors

He died today at 77 years old. Few of you outside of Canada will know him, but some of you will.

RIP Tom, I am proud to have been a fan since I was a little kid and I thank you for all that you did and just as importantly all that you stood for.

And on that note, I am gonna go offline and raise a glass or two.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

RIP to a Canadian Legend.

Comment

Via Library & Archives Canada

Comment

All man, just the way a Canadian country singer should be. Smokin', Drinkin', foot-stompin'....RIP, Tom. :(

Comment

Somebody needs to put out the Live At The Horseshoe film on DVD.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

RAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
              Somebody needs to put out the Live At The Horseshoe film on DVD.

Agreed.

RIP, Stompin' Tom. :(

Thanks for all the great music.

Comment

77 is a pretty fair innings for a Smokin', Drinkin', foot-stompin' country singer!!!

Comment

It is, he had a good run and all that, but he sort of seemed immortal in a way.

I remember when he played at the university I used to work at that a few coworkers and I tried to get backstage. See, the backstage area backed onto the loading dock that was connected to the IT dept. I was in so we figured we could just wander over and nobody would bat an eye. It didn't work out that way though, there were security guards and they bounced us pretty quickly before we could meet him. I did get a pretty cool poster off of the way though, and I still have it somewhere.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

He wrote a book called BEFORE THE FAME, which I just found out about...and which is available at the local library. Score.

Comment

Very cool write up on him here at the Canuxploitation blog which links to this:

There's the whole movie right there. Awesome to see the Horseshoe inside and out at that time. Great performance too. Still wish this were out on DVD (or, wishful thinking, Blu-ray).
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Only know of him from Ian (who brought him up at AVM years ago as I recall), my sympathies to you fans. Sounds like a true individual.
                        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Stompin' Tom Connors Was More Punk Than You.

This is a good read that sums up pretty closely his appeal to me. Oh, and the drinking stories are true. A guy in my stepbrother's band played with Tom for a while and yep, if you were going to tour with him, you had to hold your own with him at the bar at least one night week. Apparently the band members had a rotating schedule but at least one of them had to stay up and drink with him until he was done every night of the tour until it was finished.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This is the only thing I know of his, I'll have to do something to remedy that.

Comment

That was a great read, thanks!

A friend of ours was telling us that she went camping a bunch of years back, and somebody in the next campsite was playing Stompin' Tom songs on guitar in a pretty convincing manner. She wandered over to check it out, and it was Stompin' Tom, sitting next to the fire with his buddies, playing some tunes.

She hung back and listened. I would've crashed the shit out of that party.

Comment

Working...
                              X