X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Horse To Publish EC Comics Library

Huh. Well what do you know.

PRESS RELEASE!

DARK HORSE TEAMS WITH LEGENDARY PUBLISHER RUSS COCHRAN TO PUBLISH THE EC COMICS LIBRARY!

All-new editions to begin rolling out this fall, beginning with Tales from the Crypt Volume 4!

As announced during the Diamond Retailer Lunch at Comic-Con 2013, the publishing maverick Dark Horse Comics, known for the best in both new and original material as well as archiving comics' most important works, announced one of its biggest undertakings yet!

Without question, Bill Gaines's Entertaining Comics produced some of the greatest works in the history of the medium, from the likes of such industry legends as Jack Davis, Wally Wood, and many, many more. EC Comics produced many of the 1950s' most controversial and talked-about works, including such legendary anthologies as Two-Fisted Tales, Weird Fantasy, and of course, Tales from the Crypt.

Now, Dark Horse will work with comics luminary Russ Cochran, under the careful guidance of Cathy Gaines, to continue this legacy with the release of Tales from the Crypt Volume 4 in October, with Vault of Horror Volume 3 following in January!

“I have admired Mike Richardson and Dark Horse for many years and am very pleased to be working with them to bring the remainder of the EC archives to fans everywhere,” said Russ Cochran. “Dark Horse's strength and clout in the marketplace will open new avenues of distribution for these great comic books.”

Each volume will be digitally recolored, using Marie Severin's original colors as a guide. Tales from the Crypt Volume 4 collects issues #35-#40, featuring stories drawn by all-star comic artists Jack Davis, Joe Orlando, Jack Kamen, Graham Ingels, George Evans, Reed Crandall, Bill Elder, and Bernie Krigstein!

Tales from the Crypt Volume 4 arrives on sale at finer comic shops everywhere for $49.99 on October 30, 2013, just in time for Halloween!

Click image for larger version

Name:	cryptv4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	363563
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Great news. Wish they were a little cheaper. But still I am happy these are back in print.

Comment

I bought a few of these when the "EC Archive" line was originally launched, but I really didn't care for the digital coloring and stopped. I will stick with my original B&W Complete EC Library w/slipcases from the 80s. The coloring literally ruined this series for me. It didn't have to be that way. The colored Gladstone reissues in the 90s looked great.

Shrug, maybe Dark Horse will do a better job? They do a bang-up job with their Creepy & Eerie Archives...

Comment

Dark Horse To Publish EC Comics Library

I pray for digital editions.

Comment

Finally!
          "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
            I pray for digital editions.
            Agreed. The fact that you can have pretty much complete runs of titles digitally these days negates the need for me to have a physical copy of this stuff. Plus, you can read them on a tablet, which makes it portable.

I know there's lots of folks who want the physical copy of these things, and more power to them. I just think it's so much easier to have digital copies of this stuff.

Granted, there's certain stuff I will only buy in physical form (and to support those artists/companies), but this just makes more sense.

The major comic companies, as well as the indies, are sitting on a goldmine with this.

Comment

Dark Horse To Publish EC Comics Library

Agreed Zane.

I'll never give up physical copies of films for many reasons. Blu rays look better than even the best streaming services and I want a film library.

But I'm tired of drowning in paper. Novels, books in general (other than truly special items) and ESPECIALLY magazines and comics I want in digital form.

My iPad has brilliant resolution and a panel pop out feature that makes comics and graphic novels look absolutely fantastic. I have some of Dark Horse's EERIE and CRIME DOES NOT PAY archives and they look amazing. I'd love to have the EC catalog this way.

Comment

Agreed that stuff like this does look good on the iPad, but for me, I want the hardcovers. I don't mind paying extra for them and I'm ok with them taking up space.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I've actually regressed to preferring softcovers over hardcovers. All that extra hard backing takes up valuable space! And softcovers feel more like I'm reading a floppy comic. I don't have a problem going digital with music or movies but comics I still need in the physical. It's only a matter of time I suppose.
                  "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Very cool article on the New York Times website today about why EC's stuff remains to popular.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/ar...ater.html?_r=0
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      I don't have a problem going digital with music or movies but comics I still need in the physical. It's only a matter of time I suppose.
                      I used to think the same thing, Scott, but I'm all over the digital editions of comics now. It just makes so much more sense to me. You can enjoy a ton of reading without having 50,000 longboxes taking up space. That being said, I have a bunch of trade paperbacks that are taking up space on the shelf, now that I think of it!

Just my two cents!

Comment

I know, I was able to condense my music and movies into binders but books take up the most space. I like that I don't need a device to read them though. Movies and music are always going to be in some kind of format but books you can read by a candlelight in a log cabin. I say that as if I'm ever going to live somewhere without electricity.

I'm down to half a dozen short boxes and a small bookcase. I got rid of everything I didn't think I really wanted to reread. I'm trying to always cull the collection but I'm still buying stuff!

Too much stuuf!
                        "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Bill Sienkiewicz did up a rad EC tribute cover.

Neat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1384361_693055290707146_549666347_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	344485
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This is pretty rad - two hours of interviews with E.C. types!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                            X