Just a Minor Threat: The Minor Threat Photographs of Glen E. Friedman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a Minor Threat: The Minor Threat Photographs of Glen E. Friedman

I'm a huge Minor Threat fan, and a big champion of Glen E. Friedman; his books are really the only collections that I consistently pick up, despite knowing that these coffee table sized things are going on a shelf that barely holds them. But he never lets me down. This one has been in the works for a long time, and I'm happy it's going to be available this October.

If you're in the states, this is the way to go

https://www.akashicbooks.com/catalog/gef-minorthreat/

where you get signed copies, etc. If you're stuck in Canada and shipping will slaughter you, it's got a taxes in (for Ontario, anyway) pre-order price on amazon.ca that's under 50 CAD all in, and it's available on amazon.com as well (though I don't generally post links there without the RSP affiliation).

"Just a Minor Threat is a book of Glen E. Friedman’s most outstanding photographs of the Washington, DC, band Minor Threat, one of the most influential hardcore punk bands in music history. While the book offers Friedman’s best-known photographs of the band, most of the pictures in this volume, shot in 1982 and ’83, have never been seen before.

The book has writing by Zack de la Rocha, Jello Biafra, Ian F. Svenonius, Alec MacKaye, and Jamie Shanahan. Friedman’s own introduction explains how he initially met the band, and the lifelong friendships that grew from there.

The first time Friedman made pictures of Minor Threat was in Southern California early in the summer of 1982, then later on their home turf of Washington, DC. At the end of that same year, he shot them at an “explosive and uncontrollable” performance at CBGB in New York City. In addition to these, Just a Minor Threat also comprises very rare candid and posed photos of the band, including many from the same roll as the now classic “Salad Days” image on the front steps of their “Dischord House.”

Click image for larger version  Name:	JustAMinorThreat-800x667.jpg Views:	0 Size:	184.6 KB ID:	410485

I'm a big fan too. Saw them in Columbia back in the 80's. My drunk ass friend kept yelling at them to play some Motorhead, haha. Ian set his mike like Lemmy always did, kinda high and tilted down. Then they played Ace of Spades. It was fucking killer.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
      I'm a big fan too. Saw them in Columbia back in the 80's. My drunk ass friend kept yelling at them to play some Motorhead, haha. Ian set his mike like Lemmy always did, kinda high and tilted down. Then they played Ace of Spades. It was fucking killer.
      The biggest blow about being a Minor Threat fan is that I will never see them live. Even if they did one of those reunion tours, I'd....nah, I'd go to that. I fuckin love Minor Threat.

Comment

I'd go too. Would have to be better than the Black Flag reunion and I went to that, haha.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
          I'd just like to report that this is a great story, which makes me happy.
          https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
          http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            I'd go too. Would have to be better than the Black Flag reunion and I went to that, haha.
            I saw they were coming back as well. Great. I guess enough people didn't get ripped off by that bullshit last time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post

I saw they were coming back as well. Great. I guess enough people didn't get ripped off by that bullshit last time.
              Playing a venue that holds about 15% of the place they played the first time, haha.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post

Playing a venue that holds about 15% of the place they played the first time, haha.
                And rightfully so.

Comment

Working...
                X