Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version  Name:	81A7+KwSuEL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.2 KB ID:	428871

Just started this book on the making of Chinatown.

The same guy just put out a book on the making of Apocalypse Now that I intend to check out if I like this book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy G View Post
      Click image for larger version Name:	81A7+KwSuEL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.2 KB ID:	428871

Just started this book on the making of Chinatown.

The same guy just put out a book on the making of Apocalypse Now that I intend to check out if I like this book.
      That thing is fantastic. I will definitely pick up his book on Coppola in due course.
      https://carnalcinema.blog

Comment

• Baumgartner, by Paul Auster.

Comment

• Gloria Naylor - 1996
          Thomas Tessier - Finishing Touches

Comment

• Finished the Bahamas wrestling history book. Great stuff if you have an interest in the subject.

Comment

• Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse: The Ultimate History. This book deserves that title, as it not only gives you a general overview, starting with the creation of Mickey Mouse and going through the decades, but also talks about every individual cartoon short and movie appearance, as well as merchandising and even the comic books. Really awesome stuff if you're at all interested.

Comment

• Dirty Pictures by Brian Doherty, it's basically the history of the underground comix movement. I've only ready the first two chapters as I started it late last night and was pretty tired, but so far it's good.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Just Kids, by Patti Smith.

I think my wife bought me this when it was published, seemingly in 2010. Not sure why I’ve only just got around to it.

Comment

• Seeking Perfection: The Unofficial Guide to Tremors. As a fan of that franchise, knowing that there was an in-depth book like this about it piqued my interest. Since it was published in 2015, it only goes up to Tremors: Bloodlines but it still provides you with a good wealth of information and lots of interviews from both the actors and the filmmakers.

Comment

• Giovanni’s Room, by James Baldwin.

Comment

• The Texas Chain Saw Massacre Companion: I saw this book back when it was published back in 2003, but never picked it up. I wished I had now, as this is a really good read, even if it only talks about the original four movies. Still, it goes into depth on not only them but also Tobe Hooper's work outside of the series, documentaries on the films, like A Family Portrait and The Shocking Truth, and the real crimes of Ed Gein. I was able to get it fairly cheap through Amazon, and if you're a fan, I highly recommend picking it up.

Comment

• Texas Is The Reason: Five Decades of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: This is a print-on-demand book I got off of Amazon, and I should've known something was up since the price was only $5. It's a very small book, less than a hundred pages (I managed to blow through it in just two days), and is not illustrated at all. I got it because it went through the entire franchise, talking about not only the movies but the comic books and video games, including Leatherface being a DLC character in the later Mortal Kombat games, but while it does have some interesting insights, it's just the author giving his personal opinion on every movie and such. Maybe some day there'll be an updated version of that Texas Chain Saw Massacre Companion book I read before this but, if you're looking for a really in-depth dive into the franchise, this isn't really it.

Comment

Working...
                          X