This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cagliostro, King of the Dead

This is a book about one of those unproduced Universal scripts designed to be a vehicle for Karloff. The main part is the screenplay (which had elements recycled into The Mummy). The rest of the book is a bit light, but interesting stuff.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Cannon Film Guide Volume 1 1980-1984 (Kindle edition)
      "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• Sonic Life - Thurston Moore
        Buseyisms: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth - Gary Busey
        Just a Minor Threat - Glen Friedman (Yeah, mostly pictures)

Comment

• Eaten Alive at a Chainsaw Massacre: The Films of Tobe Hooper.

Got this, along with a bunch of books I'm going to be reading, for Christmas. Never been the biggest fan of Hooper's work, but this book has been giving me a newer appreciation of it.

Comment

• I just got Stuart Gordon's memoir NAKED THEATER AND UNCENSORED HORROR. It's apparently outstanding.
            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• The Creature Chronicles: Exploring the Black Lagoon Trilogy. I absolutely love the Creature from the Black Lagoon and so, I was delighted when I ended up getting this book for Christmas. I only just started reading it but it goes very in-depth on all three movies. And since it's mostly written by Tom Weaver, you know it's going to be very well-researched.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                Sonic Life - Thurston Moore
                Buseyisms: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth - Gary Busey
                Just a Minor Threat - Glen Friedman (Yeah, mostly pictures)
                I listened to the Lydia Lunch podcast earlier today, which features Thurston Moore this week. I’m going to pick his book up at some point.
                s.chivers
                Last edited by s.chivers; 02-03-2024, 03:59 PM.
                https://carnalcinema.blog

Comment

• I’m about 70 pages into Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell, which looks at why we find it so difficult to communicate with strangers, and in particular why we are so easily deceived by them. Anyone who enjoys the Revisionist History podcast will lap this up.

I’m also just over two-thirds of the way though Franzen’s Freedom, which is another deep dive into American life, centred on a fairly ordinary family and playing out over many years. This time around there is a particular interest in how we reconcile the primacy we give to personal freedom with practical concerns ranging from marital fidelity to finite global resources. It’s genuinely riveting and I would even go so far as saying the world would be a better place if more people read Franzen, particularly in their formative years. That’s obviously going to be a hard sell though, given the books are so long

Comment

• The Journal of Stoogeological Studies

The Journal of Stoogeological Studies cover

https://www.amazon.com/Journal-Stoog.../dp/B0CPM5JBPB

Comment

• Hayao Miyazaki: A visual journey through this man's work, based around an exhibition at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures dedicated to him. You've likely seen this book at Barnes & Noble and other places, as it's a hardback with a drawing of Totoro and the two smaller ones on the cover. I love Miyazaki's movies and Studio Ghibli in general, so this was a nice Christmas present. It's a little light on the text, despite being a large book, but it's cool seeing original storyboards and drawings, as well as reading Miyazaki's thoughts not only about making movies but just life and the world in general.

Comment

• Halloween: The Official Making of Halloween, Halloween Kills & Halloween Ends. Another book I got for Christmas, this is in an in-depth look into the production of the Blumhouse Halloween trilogy, with loads of behind-the-scenes photos and anecdotes about the filming. Very interesting and worth reading for fans, but like that Hayao Miyazaki book, it's more on the visual side, so you can breeze through it rather quickly. I started reading it just a few days ago and I'm already on the chapter for Halloween Kills.

Comment

• Concrete, by Thomas Bernhard.

Comment

• Being Bond: A Daniel Craig Retrospective. A big, coffee table book that looks back at Daniel Craig's five James Bond movies. Really good and breezy read, with lots of cool photographs and interesting behind-the-scenes stories.

Comment

• Comment

• Walt Disney: An American Original. Really good, nicely detailed biography that celebrates Walt Disney's accomplishments and legacy, but also doesn't overlook his faults.

Comment

Working...
                                X