Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dumas Club, by Arturo Perez-Reverte. This is the novel Polanski’s The Ninth Gate is based on.
    https://carnalcinema.blog

Comment

• I am ridiculously excited to have tracked down a copy of the Ultimate Encyclopedia Of The Movies. When I was a teen this book was my bible. It looks trashy but it's actually not a terrible rundown of a Western centric mainstream/arthouse view of the history of cinema. It has chapters overviewing genres and periods in films but the main bulk of it is an alphabetical listing of the authors view of the most important people in film with a little backstory on each and his listing for the 250 most important movies of all time. When I was a teen this was the key part for me. I spent years trying to knock off that list which was an impossible task back pre-video on the internet. I gave it a cracking go thoguh, scouring pretty much every video shop with a decent collection in a 50 mile radius. Looking at the list now, it holds up. Very western movie centric and not much in the way of cult cinema (Danny Peary's most excellent books filled that void for me shortly after) but it clearly comes from a place of deep movie knowledge.

I'm just so happy to be reunited with this book. Decades later and it's every page is still so familiar to me.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Just finished Sam Wasson’s The Big Goodbye and it really is wonderful - highly recommended to anyone interested in the rise and fall of the New Hollywood, Polanski, Nicholson and co. I’m looking forward to his book on Coppola.

Comment

• Deliver Me From Nowhere, by Warren Zanes. The story of the making of Nebraska.

Comment

• I just finished FUTURISTIC VIOLENCE AND FANCY SUITS (2015) by David Wong. It's a really inventive, funny and exciting sci-fi story that really seems to be building to a spectacular conclusion.... except it doesn't really have one. The ending is a set-up for future stories with the protagonist (there is a follow-up novel now.)
            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL by Anthony Bourdain and MY EFFIN LIFE by Geddy Lee. I don't like Rush, but the book is fantastic so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                I don't like Rush, but the book is fantastic so far.
                You're no Canadian...

I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Originally posted by agent999 View Post

You're no Canadian...
                    I'm okay with that haha

Comment

• Billy Summers by King
                      "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• Celebrating the festive season by re-reading The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway.

Comment

• ZOEY PUNCHES THE FUTURE IN THE DICK (2020) by David Wong. Great follow-up to FUTURISTIC VIOLENCE AND FANCY SUITS. It's hard to put down.
                          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Freedom by Jonathan Franzen.

Comment

• I just 'read' (it's more of an artbook but it has some text in it!) Mike Howlett's Eerie Publications - The Complete Covers book. It was great, a fantastic way to check out the covers (which were always the highlights for the EP books) without tracking down each issue, complete with credits on who did what and really interesting notes on what was recycled and reused from earlier entries. If you're at all interested in the subject matter or just enjoy nice book-sized collections of crazy, gory old comic book covers, I'd say it is essential.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                                I just 'read' (it's more of an artbook but it has some text in it!) Mike Howlett's Eerie Publications - The Complete Covers book. It was great, a fantastic way to check out the covers (which were always the highlights for the EP books) without tracking down each issue, complete with credits on who did what and really interesting notes on what was recycled and reused from earlier entries. If you're at all interested in the subject matter or just enjoy nice book-sized collections of crazy, gory old comic book covers, I'd say it is essential.
                                I'll definitely have to get this one someday (somehow). It will make a good companion to THE WEIRD WORLD OF EERIE PUBLICATIONS and THE WORST OF EERIE PUBLICATIONS.
                                VHS will never die!

Comment

Working...
                                X