Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eli Roth Announces The Green Inferno - a new cannibal movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really enjoyed Cabin Fever (full disclosure, I enjoyed Ti West's sequel more), and found the Hostel films entertaining in a passing way. They supplied nudity and gore, but there wasn't much else to it. Granted, there doesn't need to be necessarily, but I do find myself enjoying genre films that have some subtext and something going on under the surface.

Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox, in particular, while absolutely exploitative DID have at least a small seed of something going on underneath the exterior. Sure, the subtext might be heavy-handed, and in some cases haphazardly thrown in, but they did have something to "say." Questions about cultural relativism, xenophobia, human nature, etc. Yeah, those are gore-heavy trash epics, but I think the reason why some of those films are considered classics is precisely because they put a little bit more effort into having some interesting ideas and concepts behind it. Personally, I don't think Roth has that in him. He will probably make a supremely gory, and most likely fantastic-looking cannibal flick in the jungle, but I sincerely doubt he will bring anything new and interesting to the table. I'll most likely see it, regardless, but I'm not expecting much. The more I talk with younger horror and cult film fans, the more I'm realizing that they think that new is automatically better somehow, and I vehemently disagree.

Comment

Movieline has an interesting article on The Green Inferno on their website here. Apparently he's using actual Amazon villagers.

"Roth tells Movieline he's taking a small crew to a remote village up the Amazon River that has "no electricity, no running water, nothing." Producers recruited many of the 200 native villagers to play extras in the horror film by screening the cult film Cannibal Holocaust. It was the first movie they'd seen in their lives, Roth remarked. "They thought it was a comedy!"
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And by way of Bloody Disgusting, some casting news:

"Daryl Sabara (John Carter), Kirby Bliss Blanton (Project X) and Aftershock thesps Lorenza Izzo and Ariel Levy are in negotiations to star in Eli Roth's horror-thriller The Green Inferno along with Aaron Burns, Magda Apanowicz and singer-actress Sky Ferreria, reports Variety.

Worldview Entertainment (Devil's Knot) is financing and producing the Peru-set pic, which Hostel helmer Roth is directing from a script he co-wrote with Guillermo Amoedo (Aftershock).

“The story follows a naive group of student activists from New York City who travel to the remote jungles of Peru, where they plan to stage a protest, but instead encounter a tribe of cannibals.” Pic will serve as an homage to one of Roth's favorite horror films, Ruggero Deodato's 1980 cult pic Cannibal Holocaust."
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

IMO I always liked JUNGLE HOLOCAUST the best. It doesn't feel trashy at all and dare I say it's probably the classiest of the cannibal movies, (dick fondling and everything) if that's at all possible. MAN FROM RIVER DEEP also has more of a story in the traditional sense. As far as the trashy ones go I think CUT AND RUN is the most fun and easily rewatchable.

But even all those have real animal deaths in them (or in the case of MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD sodomizing that wild boar!). It's part of the appeal and gives it that mondo feel, right or wrong. Even the Black Emmanuel films have the real animal deaths (EMMANUEL AND THE CANNIBALS and IN BANGKOK). And those were meant to be semi-erotic! I think to fake it would miss the point, the set up of those deaths were staged to begin with. If anything they should be obviously staged, like the snake flying through the air, but real. No apologies. I dunno, it was a different time, made with Italian sensibilities. I don't see a punk American being able to do the genre justice.

That's not a knock on Roth tho, I've never seen any of his films. Not that I'm not interested just haven't got around to them.
          Scott
          Intellectual Carrot
          Last edited by Scott; 10-31-2012, 08:43 PM. Reason: semi-erotic
          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Principal photography in the Amazon has been completed and Roth is in the editing stages now. Looking like a 2014 release.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32...medium=twitter
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I just realized we now have Americans ripping off Italian rip offs...

We've come full circle.

Can't wait for a trailer.
              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I am ridiculously excited for this one. A trailer can't come soon enough.
                EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

Should be interesting. Will check it out.
                  www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

First image from the movie has been made available courtesy of Shock Till You Drop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	green-inferno-hi-res.608x405.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	342476
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Reminds me of something...

Comment

OFFICIAL STORYLINE....

A group of student activists from New York City travel to the Amazon to protect a dying tribe, but crash in the jungle and are taken hostage by the very natives they saved.
                        50/50 on whether Roth can make a decent film out of this....

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
                          A group of student activists from New York City travel to the Amazon to protect a dying tribe, but crash in the jungle and are taken hostage by the very natives they saved.
                          And they never came back. Are they still alive? If so, where are they?

The most brutal and savage film in modern history

RIPOUT!

BARBEQUE!

DEVOUR!

HOW LONG CAN YOU TAKE IT?

Comment

"You Will Get Served"
                            Is the tagline Roth uses when posting about this movie so far......

Comment

Any mroe news on this one?

Roth seems unusually quiet these days.......

Comment

I think it's in post now, isn't it? He did some press stuff for Hemlock Grove over the last few weeks, so he's been keeping buys. I'm far more interested in this than his TV series though.
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X