Frankenweenie (2012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankenweenie (2012)

This actually looks like it might be his best movie in years.

I dunno. I liked the short film, but i think i might be over Tim Burton.

Comment

I think the short was fine as it was and I don't know that this needs to be spread out to full length, but that trailer does look kinda rad.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I liked the stop motion from Vincent as well, and that's what this looks like...a merging of the two. I guess it's also Nightmare Before Christmas, but meh.

Comment

It looks as the it will be visually interesting, but it looks like it will be typical. All those movies feel the same to me.

Comment

Coraline was the last really good one. And it was really good. Since then... meh. And I think Coraline's success has got more to do with Gaiman's storytelling than the 'Burton style' that was used, thought they were a good fit.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
              Coraline was the last really good one. And it was really good. Since then... meh. And I think Coraline's success has got more to do with Gaiman's storytelling than the 'Burton style' that was used, thought they were a good fit.
              I'll agree with that...Burton tries to be dark, but it always (to me) feels contrived and Disneyfied. CORALINE was a genuinely sinister story. I really liked that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                Burton tries to be dark, but it always (to me) feels contrived and Disneyfied.
                Totally. Everything feels like he's trying too hard to be dark and strange.

Comment

No love for Sweeney Todd? I dug that one. So did my mom.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Fuck musicals.

Comment

I thought that it was alright. Except for Helena Bonham Carter. And the kid. And all of the songs. And the fact that it felt like it was trying too hard to be dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                        I thought that it was alright. Except for Helena Bonham Carter. And the kid. And all of the songs. And the fact that it felt like it was trying too hard to be dark.
                        See, I have no problem with musicals. In fact I like quite a few of them when they're done well. So not having that bias probably helped. As far as trying too hard to be dark, how do you figure? The story itself HAS to be dark. It's about a serial killer barber guy. I thought it was super slick, really a good looking movie. Carter didn't bug me so much in this as she has in other movies, but I can see how she'd annoy you. I think I'm kind of immune to her at this point. I also thought it was cool to see Burton working in an R rated environment rather than doing the whole 'dark kid's movie' thing over and over again. Which it now seems he's going back to with Frankenweenie.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The story has to be dark, but that doesn't mean that you have to underexpose every shot of your dark-ass set to make the point and have everyone dye their hair black and wear black clothes and cover themselves in soot.

Comment

You don't have to, but you can. I thought it looked cool. Something a bit different.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Bit different than? Not different for Tim Burton. Par for the course. I thought that the best scenes from the movie were the flashbacks to Todd's life before he ended up exiled. Well shot with attention to detail and a good eye for composition. The rest of the film failed compared to those sequences. In my stuffy opinion, of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X