Blumhouse Remaking Firestarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blumhouse Remaking Firestarter

I like the original but a remake could maybe do some interesting things with the source material that the original didn't.

I do have to wonder how much will be done with practical effects vs CGI though - I find CGI fire in particular looks really fake, but who knows. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/ste...se-1201810372/

"“No one knows about this at all,” said Blum, who also received the festival's Visionary Award for his support of horror films. “Akiva and Stephen King have a long relationship. We wouldn't do it unless he had blessed it.” Blum noted that King would also have a producing credit on the production. “He wouldn't do it unless he trusted Akiva's hand with it,” Blum said. “We're already working on it and now it's official.”"

More at the link.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This could be good.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Fingers crossed this doesn't suck. If It is any good we could have a King revival.

Comment

Then we get a Maximum Overdrive remake.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Casting info.

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/fire...lumhouse-king/
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

In keeping with their title style, expect it to be officially named "Blumhouse's Stephen King's Firestarter"!

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
              Then we get a Maximum Overdrive remake.
              We already have one. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120380/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_6

Comment

The original Firestarter is an alright time. Over the years folks seem to have, "Warmed up" to it, though. I recall a lot of poo-pooing on it before the recent 15 years or so. I don't see how they can top the actual fire effects, and George C. Scott, though. A remake, it seems like something that would flop, but, who knows. I may give it a chance.

Blumhouse, I gave their spin of, "Invisible Man" a chance, and I thought it sucked. I typed about it someplace, pretty sure not this forum, though. After about the first 20-30 minutes of that remake, I knew I was in for trouble. First thing I could not get over in that film, was this ultra-rich dude apparently SO HUNG UP on this frumpy woman, that he was using his invisibility stuff to go after her. Huh? With all of his funds, he could have all sorts of females, in rotation. And, chasing after that woman? Not to mention, the ending... Hollow Man was a better take on a similar story, much better!

I didn't mind their remake of Halloween, though, that was an OK time, surprised me at how decent it was. So, I'll see how it looks as more details surface for a, "Firestarter" remake. Though, if it's all CGI fire, PG-13, I'll probably pass.

*edited to add:

Originally posted by James Reed View Post
                Ah, Trucks... I think that debuted on TBS or TNT way back... let me check if my memory is correct... Oh, wow, I was incorrect, it was USA Network?... I do recall the station, whatever it was, making a bit of a hoo-hah for weeks leading up to it's debut, but I didn't care for it as much as Maximum Overdrive. I think it was advertised as being more closer to the story, but, that didn't matter to me, I didn't find it as memorable as Maximum Overdrive. That is another Stephen King film I didn't get all the hate about, "Maximum Overdrive"... It's silly, fun, a bit gruesome at times. The opening credits are great, with AC/DC, the cash machine telling Stephen King's cameo appearance, "You are an asshole", etc. One of the better opening credits, for sure! WHO MADE WHO!
                Dick Ringeisen
                Last edited by Dick Ringeisen; 06-29-2021, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Hitting theaters and Peacock on 5/15/22.

I do not think this looks good.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Didn't even resemble the book until the very end of the trailer.

Comment

Looks very Stranger Things inspired.
                      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Watched this on Peacock last night. I haven’t read the book in a long time, but this seemed to change so many things, it would take a while to document them all (so I won’t). Not that I necessarily mind that, particularly if the new “reimagining” is uniquely wonderful. I can’t say that about this remake.

The movie was made on the cheap, or at least setups for each scene were not especially elaborate. And I’m not sure if they are intending a sequel, but it would sure appear so by that bizarre ending.
                        VHS will never die!

Comment

Working...
                        X