X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anna Biller's The Love Witch

Check it out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3908142/

I really liked what Anna Biller did with Viva so I'm in for this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12640369_10153355168443671_8766055763839285766_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	367196

There's a very positive review here:

http://linkis.com/sinfulcelluloid.com/RpVux

And dig the trailer.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Glad to see this mentioned here. I enjoyed VIVA and Biller's shorts.

Comment

Looks nice!

Comment

I cannot find any release info on this anywhere yet. Anyone know of a pending DVD/Blu release or even a streaming option?
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Its currently making the festival rounds. Biller posted this little anecdote on Facebook earlier:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

So I was sitting in the lobby in Thursday afternoon in the lobby of the Sundance Cinemas, one of the venues for the Wisconsin Film Festival, having just seen a film and anticipating my premiere of THE LOVE WITCH that evening.

Soon a curious person who had sat next to me the night before during the Ingrid Bergman documentary, and whom I'd exchanged a few words with (mostly consisting of them grumbling about how mediocre the film was), walked up to an older couple sitting across from me and exclaimed, as they were browsing the program, "Whatever you do, don't see The LOVE WITCH. I watched the trailer, and it's just BAD." The man looked up curiously at (him/her? - I had decided it was a him) and said "I understand it's some sort of throwback..Douglas Sirk and all." And then the person said, "Well it just looks POOR and the acting looks VERY POOR and it's just NOT GOING TO BE GOOD." Then the wife, who had just finished reading the synopsis, said virulently, I would NEVER see a movie like this!" They all sat there fuming and harrumphing, and I stared at them for a moment and then rushed to get away.

Later, the festival director told me that this person is known to the cinematheque as a scourge and a downer, and that in reality she (now I had a gender)! knows nothing about cinema, so that made me feel a little better. Still, it put a damper on my mood.

That night however the print was projected on glorious 35mm, on a wonderful large screen, and the effect on the audience was anything but "poor and bad." Although the large theater was not quite full, the audience was very enthusiastic, and their little gasps of delight and amusement throughout, and their questions and comments during the Q & A, was proof that the screening was indeed a great success!
          LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

There are some people who are just wasting oxygen in this planet.......

Comment

Looks fun will keep an eye out for it.

Comment

Pretty cool talk about this one on the new Projection Booth podcast.

http://projection-booth.blogspot.ca/...form=hootsuite
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
                  Its currently making the festival rounds. Biller posted this little anecdote on Facebook earlier:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
                  Eh, maybe I don't know anything about cinema, either, but this looks pretty bad to me, as well. Like, "is this a joke?" kind of bad. But hey, to each their own.
                  Scyther
                  Last edited by Scyther; 07-14-2016, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Oscilloscope Laboratories Picked this up and will be releasing it into theaters on 11/11.

Comment

Viva was a awesome film, she really nailed the period look in that film. Looking forward to this.

Comment

For an interesting compare and contrast, read this interview with Biller, then this review of the film published on the same site. Not feminist enough.
                        LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

This hit digital streaming this weekend a month ahead of the blu ray release. I watched it last night and it's fucking incredible. Loved Viva too, but this one is far better. Highly recommended!

Comment

I have this on pre-order at Amazon. At first it didn't look like something I would like, but I cant resist this. It looks gorgeous and dare I say the lead actress here as a certain Edwige Fenech look about her. Looking forward to it.

Here is the Uk Blu-ray artwork

Click image for larger version

Name:	91jhf8DtMjL__SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	351959

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
                              For an interesting compare and contrast, read this interview with Biller, then this review of the film published on the same site. Not feminist enough.
                              I was hating the reviewer reading that but after watching the film I can't blame her for taking the tack she did. It really is a weird, aimless, feminist manifesto that doesn't seem very clear at all on what it's actually trying to say. I guess it's fine that everything it has to say is dated given the ostensibly 70s setting (it's not really the 70s though, there's modern phones, computers and lingerie) but when characters go off on speeches about the evils of the patriarchy and what not it doesn't feell much like the 70s anymore. It feels like my facebook wall on a bad day. I do struggle with films that are trying to ape a period, complete with bad acting and awkward staging to suppossedly match the vintage films. I don't quite get the point. I did sort of enjoy Viva which is why I checked this out but I really find it a trudge. And it's two hours long too.
                              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                              X