Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was I the only one who liked INHERENT VICE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eh, I just didn't find the story engaging. I like everything else PTA has done (except his first film) but watching Inherent Vice just made me want to re-watch The Big Lebowski again.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I thought I'd love this - the early 1970s setting and comic neo-noir tone - but unfortunately I found it way too self indulgent and bloated. Could have stood to be trimmed by 30 to 45 minutes and tightened up. Some great moments to be sure, I thought Martin Short was hilarious (and shockingly good) in a really out of character role and enjoyed other bits too but they were buried in a mess of a film. I can't see revisiting this as it was a bit of a chore to finish.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeS View Post
        The title of the thread is off - there were many passionate fans of the movie and it did get two Oscar nominations.
        The thread title was just a reaction to the fact that there did not seem to be a thread about the film here at the time.

Comment

I watched it the other day. I'm a fan of Anderson (especially his first 4 films) and Pynchon, but...meh.

Comment

Working...
          X