The Shadow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shadow

I know this one kinda flopped but I remember seeing it in the theater and enjoying it. It's coming out on Blu-ray domestically (it already had a European release awhile back) through Universal. Release date is June 4, 2013.

Amazon has a listing up.

No cover art, specs or extras announced yet.

The German Blu-ray reportedly looked pretty good.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/shadow.htm

This has to be an improvement over the fullframe R1 DVD release.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I like this movie more than anyone should. The tone is all over the place but it works for me. I like the score a lot too.

I'm a big fan of the all the pulp hero movies from the 90's, THE SHADOW, THE PHANTOM, ROCKETEER, I'd even wedge TARZAN AND THE LOST CITY in there. So far I've enjoyed all these more than the current crop of superhero flicks. They might come off a little old fashioned but I appreciate the practical effects and sense of adventure that seems to be lost in the current films.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I agree. I don't think there's anything wrong with playing to the period, so to speak. You're right, there does seem to be a more lighthearted sense of adventure in the movies you mention than in the current crop of gloomy brooding superhero movies.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Cover art!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Just a heads up that Cliff at Shout! Factory has let it slide that although Universal is putting this out on Blu-ray next month, it will be getting a fancy re-release through Shout! around Nov. of this year. No other details yet but it might be worth holding off as it sounds like it's going to get an SE from SF. Ha!
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I'm psyched about this movie getting a decent US release. I watched it a few times when it was available on Netflix streaming, pretty sure that was a HD widescreen presentation, too.

Comment

Yeah I'm psyched too. A decent Blu would have been good enough but if Shout! is going to load it up with extras a few months later, I'll just wait it out. I'd love to see them do a documentary on the history of the character, from the pulps to the radio show to the 70s comics to the 80s comics revamps to the movie.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

"Hey, that's catchy..." Sab Shimono's great in his way-too-small part in this.
                It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

I liked this back in the day and I had the action figures they put out. I have no idea how this will hold up almost 20 years later.
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

The Shout! Factory special edition Blu-ray release is scheduled for 1/21/14 according to Blu-ray.com and Amazon confirms it.

No word on extras yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	yk6WREv.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	344347
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Coming from Umbrella in August.

https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/-augu...dow&results=54
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment