Films that are still absent on DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Films that are still absent on DVD

What films that are still unavailable on DVD do you think deserve a decent release?

Top of my list, at the moment, would be Carl Colpaert's neo-noir flick DELUSION (1991), a sun-drenched 'film soleil'/road movie with a solid ensemble cast (Jim Metzler, Kyle Secor, Jerry Orbach, Jennifer Rubin), some great photography, a score by Barry Adamson and a David Goodis-esque plot (an embezzler finds himself on the road with a hitman and his childlike moll). I first caught this one on UK television in the mid-1990s (did it get a theatrical release anywhere?), and it's never been released on home video in this country at all - although it had a VHS release in the US (its Super 35 framing 'opened up' for a fullframe presentation), which I own, and I believe it also had a LaserDisc release in America, which I never managed to track down. (Has anyone seen the LD?) The best presentation of the film I've seen is a rip that's doing the rounds on the Internet - widescreen, and I believe, taken from a TV broadcast.

I'd love to see this released on DVD - or, even better, the Blu-thang.

What are your picks for films that you'd love to see finally reach DVD or BD?
    Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze
    Last edited by Paul L; 01-02-2013, 06:15 PM.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I flog this dead horse a lot BUT.....

MASSACARE MAFIA STYLE (in a good version) and GONE WITH THE POPE!

Those are the first ones that always come to mind, but then, I obsess easily.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Would love to get a status update on Grindhouse Releasing. Man do I miss not seeing Gone With the Pope two years ago...

Way too many titles to list. But I'd love to see more Italo horror and exploitation like Giallo in Venice, the Killer is Still Among Us, Spider Labyrinth, Raiders of Atlantis, Blue Movie, Code of the Hunt, Women's Camp 119, Tiger Joe and Hunters of the Golden Cobra.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
        Would love to get a status update on Grindhouse Releasing. Man do I miss not seeing Gone With the Pope two years ago...

Way too many titles to list. But I'd love to see more Italo horror and exploitation like Giallo in Venice, the Killer is Still Among Us, Spider Labyrinth, Raiders of Atlantis, Blue Movie, Code of the Hunt, Women's Camp 119, Tiger Joe and Hunters of the Golden Cobra.
        Women's Camp 119 was released by Video Asia on "The Grindhouse Experience" collection. It looks like it was taken from an old vhs but it watchable. I know the set that has like 20 films on it can be found pretty cheap.

Comment

Out of my two holy grales of no DVD releases only one remain, as Platoon Leader with Michael Dudikoff was released on german DVD this year. So now I pray to god that someone releases Albert Pyuns Down Twisted and my life is complete.
          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
            Women's Camp 119 was released by Video Asia on "The Grindhouse Experience" collection. It looks like it was taken from an old vhs but it watchable. I know the set that has like 20 films on it can be found pretty cheap.
            I was referring to legit DVD releases and not bootlegs.
            Alex K.
            Last edited by Alex K.; 01-02-2013, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Il Demonio (1963)
              Satan's Triangle (1975)
              Starship Invasions (1977)
              The Decline of Western Civilization (1981) - and put out parts 2 and 3 while you are at it.
              Highway to Hell (1991)
              Rubin & Ed (1991)

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
                Il Demonio (1963)
                Satan's Triangle (1975)
                Starship Invasions (1977)
                The Decline of Western Civilization (1981) - and put out parts 2 and 3 while you are at it.
                Highway to Hell (1991)
                Rubin & Ed (1991)
                http://www.amazon.com/Highway-Hell-P...ighway+to+hell

But yeah put out all 3 parts of Decline.

Comment

WORLD'S GREATEST SINNER would be nice to get, besides the dvd-r from Romeo Carey. Supposedly it's coming, but I think that's been the case for a number of years.

Comment

I thought the TCM screening of World's Greatest Sinner was signalling an imminent DVD release. Too bad.

Comment

Three picks for me:

SCACCO ALLA REGINA (CHECKMATE TO THE QUEEN) - One of a kind film that could only have come out of Italy in the 1960s. Haydee Politoff and Rosanna Schiaffino have a perverse slave and master relationship but this is about much more than kink...a film that has really stuck with me. Directed by Pasquale Festa Campanile (Hitch-Hike) with stunning production design by Flavio Mogherini and one of Piero Piccioni's lushest scores

LA CASA DEL BUON RITURNO (HOUSE OF GOOD RETURNS) - The one giallo that remains elusive and sounds so good. A haunting murder from the past, violent deaths in the present and comparisons to Pupi Avati sure sounds promising and to top it off, the mask from ONIBABA makes an appearance.

LA MORTE RISALE A IERI SERA (DEATH OCCURRED LAST NIGHT) - Duccio Tessari's best giallo and damn near the best thing I've seen from him after RETURN OF RINGO. Has an emotional punch lacking in many gialli and a killer Gianni Ferrio score.
                      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Any Charles Nizet films would be nice with VOODOO HEARTBEAT being the obvious first choice. I'd like to see a double feature of COMMANDO SQUAD and RESCUE FORCE for sure.

It would also be great if someone like Mondo Macabro did W IS WAR and MAD WARRIOR.
                        Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Good choices so far.

Bertolucci's THE SPIDER'S STRATAGEM is one film that I'm very surprised hasn't turned up on DVD. It's a fantastic, intense little mystery film.

Hopper's THE LAST MOVIE was touted for a DVD release a few years back, wasn't it? But so far, it hasn't materialised - although a rip of a DVD screener seems to be doing the rounds.

I'd love to see Peckinpah's NOON WINE hit DVD. Any chance of that one anytime soon? There are also quite a few Sam Fuller films still absent from digital home video, aren't there?
                          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                            I thought the TCM screening of World's Greatest Sinner was signalling an imminent DVD release. Too bad.
                            Well, Carey's biographer said a few months ago that something is officially happening but couldn't give up details. It would certainly be nice to see Criterion release a Carey short film set, wouldn't it?

EDIT:

Maybe these are a sign of things to come -- a doc teaser and an ad for the Portland screening from November:

bgart13
                            Last edited by bgart13; 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Another one to add to the list - Deranged.

Click image for larger version

Name:	l_92872_4a10fb2a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	342223
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X