Leave the World Behind (2023)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave the World Behind (2023)

Directed by Sam Esmail (Mr. Robot). Starring Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke, Kevin Bacon

"A family vacation on Long Island is interrupted by two strangers bearing news of a blackout. As the threat grows, both families must decide how best to survive the potential crisis, all while grappling with their own place in this collapsing world."

I saw this without knowing anything about it and I thought it was a fun, smart, paranoid take on the world falling apart. Reviews seem split with some people hating it, and many being confused by the ending (?!). Without getting into spoilers I'll just leave it at that, but I had no problems "getting it" and thoroughly loved the ending. I thought this movie was excellent.

On a technical level it's shot great with superb acting all around. Based on a book by Rumaan Alam and produced by Julia Roberts and Higher Ground Productions, Barack and Michelle Obama's production company. With the Obama's participation it does lend itself to lots of what if questions and seems fairly realistic all round. I'd be interested in hearing your guys's take on it. Streaming on Netflix but I guess it had a small theater run in October. I just watched the trailer after the fact and IMO it doesn't do the movie justice or capture its tone so I won't post it here. Better to go in blind if you check this out.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Call me skeptical, but I don't think there will ever be a piece of blatant American partisan propaganda as entertaining as the Jack Abramoff produced Red Scorpion.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Dawn Jr View Post
      Call me skeptical, but I don't think there will ever be a piece of blatant American partisan propaganda as entertaining as the Jack Abramoff produced Red Scorpion.
      This is very true. My all time favourite right wing propaganda piece. Apartheidsploitation at its finest.

As for the film in the original post, I had it on my Netflix list but removed it. I feel I will never be able to watch it with an open mind.

"No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post

This is very true. My all time favourite right wing propaganda piece. Apartheidsploitation at its finest.

As for the film in the original post, I had it on my Netflix list but removed it. I feel I will never be able to watch it with an open mind.
        "Apartheidsploitation" -- what a term! Let's hijack this thread and turn it into an Apartheidsploitation list. I'll go first: Skin 'Em Alive (a.k.a. Scorticateli Vivi) 1978, mercenaries in Africa reek havoc.

Comment

"Apartheidsploitation" -- what a term! Let's hijack this thread and turn it into an Apartheidsploitation list. I'll go first: Skin 'Em Alive (a.k.a. Scorticateli Vivi) 1978, mercenaries in Africa reek havoc.
          Sounds good! I'll have to check that out if I can.

I have a soft spot for Laser Mission with Brandon Lee myself. Bonus apartheidsploitation points for being filmed in occupied Namibia, just like Red Scoprion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
            That's too bad, I'd love to read your thoughts on it. More than it just being about the world ending, it really shows how dependent we are on cell phones and modern tech and what happens when all that suddenly goes away. Outside of it being a propaganda piece it in no way compares to RED SCORPION (or RED DAWN), IMO. It's mostly talking heads.

"Apartheidsploitation" -- what a term! Let's hijack this thread and turn it into an Apartheidsploitation list.
            Or you could make a separate thread since this movie has nothing to do with that?

Scott
            Intellectual Carrot
            Last edited by Scott; 12-28-2023, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

That's too bad, I'd love to read your thoughts on it. More than it just being about the world ending, it really shows how dependent we are on cell phones and modern tech and what happens when all that suddenly goes away.
              Yeah, that was a bit what intreagued me to begin with. I have many times thought about how much more self reliant we all were as recently as the 80s when I was young. People could fix their own cars and TVs etc, and there was a general sense of people being practical with things that I feel has gone comepletely lost.

So I might see it at some point, but the whole Obama connection scares me. And of course, the "netflix original" angle, which 99 times out of a 100 means it is total garbage,

Comment

******************SPOILERS************************ **

My takeaway from this movie is that if and when the shit goes down the ones with the most guns, the most supplies and the most willingness to shoot anyone who comes looking to borrow some of those supplies are the ones who will survive, and if you're not a self-sufficient doomsday prepper you're fucked. May as well eat up all your ice cream before it melts, finish binging your favorite shows and get ready to be rounded up and shot.
                Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
                  ******************SPOILERS************************ **

My takeaway from this movie is that if and when the shit goes down the ones with the most guns, the most supplies and the most willingness to shoot anyone who comes looking to borrow some of those supplies are the ones who will survive, and if you're not a self-sufficient doomsday prepper you're fucked. May as well eat up all your ice cream before it melts, finish binging your favorite shows and get ready to be rounded up and shot.
                  Yep. Pretty much my takeaway.
                  If you live in or near a major city you'll die a lot quicker than the rest. Good luck to us all.

Happy New Year!!
                  Scott
                  Intellectual Carrot
                  Last edited by Scott; 12-29-2023, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X