Comic Book Confidential: 20th Anniversary Edition Coming To Blu-ray 12/4/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comic Book Confidential: 20th Anniversary Edition Coming To Blu-ray 12/4/12

Amazon has a listing up for this one here. It's being release by Strand Releasing.

"Amazon.com:

As Kevin Smith observes in his 2002 introduction to the DVD, Ron Mann's 1989 documentary Comic Book Confidential hasn't lost a bit of its relevance. It emerged as comics were enjoying a popular renaissance, when Frank Miller was redefining the Batman mythos in the mainstream, and scores of independent artists found their unique voices in the burgeoning aftermath of the underground comix explosion of the '60s and early '70s. Mann's irreverent sensibilities are perfectly suited to this graphically kinetic history of comic books from the early '30s to the late '80s, itself presented as a graphic hybrid of comic art, archival footage, and lively interviews. All of the major players are included from each era, and Mann's masterstroke--having latter-day comics innovators read from their work--makes for some delicious storytelling straight from the source. Stories from each featured artist are included as another DVD bonus, making this a must-have document for any serious devotee of the medium. --Jeff Shannon

Product Description:

Comic Book Confidential is a feature length documentary that profiles twenty two of the most significant artists and writers working in comic books, graphic novels and strip-art in North America today. In an entertaining and informative combination of interviews, historical footage and state-of-the-art animation techniques, Comic Book Confidential provides a positive answer to that burning existential question of the late twentieth century first posed by Zippy the Pinhead: Are we having fun yet?

Comic Book Confidential is a funny, smart, eye-popping history that finally gives comic books the respect they deserve.

See marvel master Stan Lee bring Spiderman's money worries to life!
    Hear underground artist Robert Crumb confess why he killed Fritz the cat!
    Wonder at congressional hearings from the 1950s proving the link between comic books and juvenile delinquency!

Extras:
    -Introduction by Kevin Smith
    -Interview with Ron Mann
    -Comic book archive: a story by each featured artist
    -Artist bios

Somewhere I think I still have an old VHS tape with this movie on it that I taped off of City TV, who used to show it all the time in the 80s and early 90s.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I have a VHS too and was too lazy to dig it out recently so I just watched this on Netflix about a week ago. Stellar movie. I especially love hearing Charles Burns saying "Your name isn't Mr. Pinkster, its Mr. Stinkster."

The inclusion of anything to do with Kevin Smith, however, makes me not want to buy this at all.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
      The inclusion of anything to do with Kevin Smith, however, makes me not want to buy this at all.
      He's annoying BUT this is obscure enough and niche enough that I can see them wanting to add him to the disc just to hopefully move a few more units. I can't hold that against them. I'm surprised this is coming out on Blu in the first place.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I know I'm not famous enough to warrant inclusion, but this is one of the very first dvd releases where I would have LOVED to have been interviewed about it, and had that interview included on the disc. This film is after all, what started me publishing my own comics. I started working on my first comic the next day after watching this movie in 1992.

I doubt Kevin Smith can say that.
        www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

That's pretty cool, Robin. You should email Strand! Maybe there is still time.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I have to admit that I clicked on this thread hoping to see that perhaps there would be a bonus disc containing either updates with some of the individuals from the film or interviews with artists who arrived on the scene in the subsequent years.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
              I have to admit that I clicked on this thread hoping to see that perhaps there would be a bonus disc containing either updates with some of the individuals from the film or interviews with artists who arrived on the scene in the subsequent years.
              Yeah, that'd probably get more people interested, if they included the original film and then a sequel/follow up of sorts. There's definitely potential for something like that to be pretty interesting. In fact, there's enough talented artists out there you could probably do a pretty cool series of documentaries in the style of the original.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'd like to see an interview with Howard Chaykin in which he discusses why The Shadow wasn't released in the prestige format.

Comment

And his love of staples?

In all seriousness though, Chaykin would be a good choice, he's been involved with some pretty controversial stuff over the years.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I love this doc! Although, some interviews don't sit well with me, specifically Linda Barry. That's just bias though as I never found her work appealing. I think they also missed out on some golden opportunities to interview greats like Peter Bagge or Bobby London. What is presented in this film however remains a testament to the greatness of comics.

Comment

The first review I've seen for this has popped up over at Blu-ray.com. Looks like Strand did a good job with this one.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                      X