No announcement yet.

The Criterion Collection Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Hughes? What title of his has been rumored?
    "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

• Has anyone seen the Criterion Fantastic Planet and compared it to the Masters of Cinema? I have the Region B release and think it looks great. Word is that the Criterion may be a botched job, but it could just be the nerds whining again. I'd upgrade if Criterion is better.

Comment

• Originally posted by IanIcon View Post
        Has anyone seen the Criterion Fantastic Planet and compared it to the Masters of Cinema? I have the Region B release and think it looks great. Word is that the Criterion may be a botched job, but it could just be the nerds whining again. I'd upgrade if Criterion is better.
        DVDBeaver is the site for you

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-r...et_blu-ray.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by Dark Horse 77 View Post
          John Hughes? What title of his has been rumored?
          None that I can find.

Originally posted by IanIcon View Post
          Has anyone seen the Criterion Fantastic Planet and compared it to the Masters of Cinema? I have the Region B release and think it looks great. Word is that the Criterion may be a botched job, but it could just be the nerds whining again. I'd upgrade if Criterion is better.
          According to the review at the Criterionforum.org it has better detail than the MoC but it is cooler and gets bluer as it goes along. So the question is is that how it is supposed to be or not. Apparently the archivel docs offer conflicting evidence, where in one the art looks like it is closer to how the criterion looks and in another the art looks warmer than the criterion.

Comment

• Criterion UK's September releases will be:
            THE SAMURAI TRILOGY - September 5th
            CAT PEOPLE - September 26th

Didn't expect CAT PEOPLE as I thought someone other than Warner had the UK rights to the RKO catalog. And with the SAMURAI TRILOGY, Toho titles are now on the table. (Toho being Toho, that's bigger news than the WB titles getting UK releases)

Comment

• Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
              Criterion UK's September releases will be:
              THE SAMURAI TRILOGY - September 5th
              CAT PEOPLE - September 26th

Didn't expect CAT PEOPLE as I thought someone other than Warner had the UK rights to the RKO catalog. And with the SAMURAI TRILOGY, Toho titles are now on the table. (Toho being Toho, that's bigger news than the WB titles getting UK releases)
              Why is Cat People £27.99 on Amazon when most other Criterion UK releases are £17.99?
              fatboyslim142
              Last edited by fatboyslim142; 06-28-2016, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• £27.99 is the MSRP/RRP, I don't know why Amazon UK hasn't discounted it*, but I'd guess that it'll eventually be marked down to £17.99.

*Amazon.com, of late, has been listing pre-orders of indie labels titles at full MSRP and any discounts seem to occur after they've been up for awhile, maybe the UK version is going to start doing this as well.

Comment

• I wish Criterion would do TOKYO FIST.
                  Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• latest newsletter clue

The Criterion Forum has come to the conclusion that it is for HIS GIRL FRIDAY.

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                    I wish Criterion would do TOKYO FIST.
                    If you are region free, there is a UK Blu-ray of TOKYO FIST from Third Window Films. But, yeah it'd be nice if someone in the US released some special editions of Shinya Tsukamoto's films.

Comment

• Derrick, do you know if Criterion takes requests? I'm wondering if I were to ask about TOKYO FIST if they would be able to give me a definitive answer.

Comment

• They have a suggestion email: suggestions@criterion.com or you could try Mulvaney: mulvaney@criterion.com but they tend to not email back about suggestions/questions about possible releases (and when they do email back it tends to be a bit of a form letter). Apparently they do listen, as they claim that they licensed SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS from MGM because of the number of requests.

A few years ago, they used to have someone answering emails that was really talkative about suggestions/future releases but now, I think, she works in their restoration department.

Comment

• It's understandable. I'm sure they would get hundreds of requests a week. Thanks for the links, it wouldn't hurt to suggest some titles, even if they don't respond (at the very least, somebody there might look into it).

Comment

• Yeah . When they joined Facebook, they interacted with people a lot. Answered a lot of questions about what they did or did not have in the works, but eventually, Facebook being Facebook, I think it got to be too much and they stopped (hats off to the Scream Factory guys for putting up with people on Facebook, I don't know how they do it.)

Comment

• A new 4K restoration Tampopo (credited to Janus Films) is playing at the NY Film Forum October 21 to November 3. I'd expect a Criterion Blu-ray sometime between December and the second quarter of 2017

Comment

Working...
                              X