Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Blu-Ray the worst thing that has happened to cinema recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Bernhard View Post
    Labels release what they think will sell, this is largely based on what sold well previously,
    combined with shoving new awful titles down our throats before people know how truly bad they are.

If there was never a DVD revolution and everyone still watched VHS,
    today in 2015 likely every film left on the planet would have been transferred to tape and marketed.

So if anything DVD killed the emptying of everyone's vault holdings.
    ( along with a common sense business model attitude, companies want to make $$$, not release as many obscurities as they can license.)
    The lack of content made available for 4K is going to be even more limited, mainstream and repetitive.

I think BD is the best thing to ever happen to home video and watching movies at home. A good source, with a solid 1080p transfer & encode on a decent system is a viable alternative to going to a cinema ( which has become an ever increasing mix of expensive & annoying ). And it's not even projected on film anymore.
    Agreed with John, especially regarding the last point.

The other thing it's easy to forget is that many younger film fans/collectors may be experiencing some of these films for the first time via their Blu-ray releases: the titles may seem old hat to those of us whose first taste of home video was VHS, Betamax or LaserDisc - but just as DVD gave some of our favourite (or, in some cases, not so favourite) films a new audience, Blu-ray releases are doing the same thing.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Working...
    X