The Strange Colour Of Your Body's Tears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
    I'd go completely the other way. Giallos are a product of the time and place they were made in. Its not coming back and there's no point just aping the style. Its as hopeless as trying to make a new spaghetti western. Something artsy taking inspiration from the genre could get me interested though.
    Could not disagree more. I would rather see an earnest attempt to make a REAL giallo. Just because no one has done it yet doesn't mean it isn't possible. To me, the artsy fartsy throwbacks, like Amer and Berberian Sound Studio, are the ones that are just aping the style, which is so fucking boring.

Comment

Biberian Sound Studio bored the tits off me as well and I couldnt rouse the interest to see Amer. Unless the words really good though I cant see any reason to watch somethibg called The Strange Colour Of Your Bodies Tears. It just strikes me as horribly unambitious and unrealistic to try to recapture something thats been dead for nigh on 30 years.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I'd go completely the other way. Giallos are a product of the time and place they were made in. Its not coming back and there's no point just aping the style. Its as hopeless as trying to make a new spaghetti western.
        I agree with this, though I really liked BERBERIAN... (I was far less impressed with AMER, however). Nevertheless, there are still 'straight' gialli/thrilling all'italiana films being made - the trouble is, they're mostly shite (Argento's GIALLO or Federico Zampaglione's TULPA: PERDIZIONI MORTALI, for example) and, unless they're made by Argento, they tend not to get released outside Italy. I guess no distributor will touch them unless they can also sell them to the arthouse crowd. (For my money, the trend began with OCCHI DI CRISTALLO, which struck me as an empty pastiche of the thrilling all'italiana back when it was released in 2005.)

The last thrilling all'italiana picture that impressed me was Avati's THE HIDEOUT, back in 2007 - now, that's a good film, made by a seasoned filmmaker, that doesn't resort to an empty pastiche of the black-gloved-killer strand of the thrilling all'italiana (which is such a fugging limited, reductive definition of the Italian-style thriller/giallo, anyway - the current batch of films that resort to that trope are just being lazy in looking for/apeing the signifiers of a very narrow strand of the Italian thriller, imo).

I'm curious to see Carlo Vanzina's pseudo-sequel of sorts to his own NOTHING UNDERNEATH, SOTTO IL VESTITO NIENTE: L'ULTIMA SFILATA, which was made in 2011. I'd also like to get my hands on Luciano Onetti's SONNO PROFONDO.

Paul L
        Scholar of Sleaze
        Last edited by Paul L; 07-16-2014, 03:11 AM.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Clark View Post
          This one looks like it could be more interesting than Amer, which I haven't seen yet and honestly don't know if I ever will. I'm really tired of these arty giallo throwbacks like Berberian Sound Studio. If you're going to do a giallo, do a fucking giallo, not a boring art film disguised as a giallo.
          This film is just as much about style as Amer so you probably won't like it.

Comment

It just strikes me as horribly unambitious and unrealistic to try to recapture something thats been dead for nigh on 30 years.
            After reading this interview with the directors it comes off as nothing more than copy and paste filmmaking. In one way I admire their admitting the blatant lifting from other films but the lack of originality is staggering. Not every film has to be this entirely new thing but for fucks sake...
            Tom Clark
            Last edited by Tom Clark; 07-16-2014, 01:54 PM.
            LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Late to the party as always, I saw this last night, as it has become available on DVD here. And I have to say that I was utterly unimpressed by it. It felt like it was made by art people who had never ever seen a giallo let alone any kind of horror or thriller film, but had read up on the subject and decided to try and make one of their own.

That said, the director of photography or whomever was responsible for the look of this, should be hired by a talented director if one was ever to do a proper Giallo, as it looked great. It was just everything else about it that sucked horribly.
              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Working...
              X