Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okja

Source.

"Four years after Snowpiercer, Korean master Bong Joon-ho is on the cusp of releasing his next high concept sci-fi opus Okja. Netflix is backing the $53 million project, and has just launched the first teaser in Korea.

Tilda Swinton, Jake Gyllenhaal, Paul Dano and more star alongside several Korean actors in the English and Korean language film, including lead An Seo-hyun, who plays Mija, a young girl trying to protect a large creature from the grips of a multi-national corporation."

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Okja shut out of hundreds of screens in South Korea.

http://variety.com/2017/film/asia/ko...medium=twitter
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I understand the pro-Netflix P.O.V., but, can you really blame theater owners for making a stand? Perhaps, their last stand? Netflix feeds into our culture's I Can't Wait!! mentality. Is waiting a few weeks to see it streaming really that onerous a burden on their subscribers? Give a movie a chance for a few weeks in theaters is going to kill 'em????

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          Okja shut out of hundreds of screens in South Korea.

http://variety.com/2017/film/asia/ko...medium=twitter

Comment

Another new trailer.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeS View Post
              I understand the pro-Netflix P.O.V., but, can you really blame theater owners for making a stand? Perhaps, their last stand? Netflix feeds into our culture's I Can't Wait!! mentality. Is waiting a few weeks to see it streaming really that onerous a burden on their subscribers? Give a movie a chance for a few weeks in theaters is going to kill 'em????
              personally, i don't go to the theater anymore. but, this probably could be a fun one for the theatre. i don't mind waiting to see something while it does the theater rounds. i do like it that Netflix gave Bong Joon-ho creative freedom.

good movie. feel kinda boobish cuz i've only seen Memories of Murder, which is one i like quite a bit. need to fix that

Comment

i've seen Snowpiercer too. forgot for a sec. were Tilda Swinton's teeth fucked up in that one? she had braces on in Okja at the beginning

Comment

Originally posted by JLG View Post
                  i've seen Snowpiercer too. forgot for a sec. were Tilda Swinton's teeth fucked up in that one?
                  Yup.

I think the recent TRAIN TO BUSAN borrowed a few ideas from SNOWPIERCER.
                  Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I quite enjoyed this flick. Seems Bong Joon-ho is the only Korean director that is able to find success making the transition to directing "Hollywood" movies unlike his peers Kim Jee Woon and Park Chan-wook. The chase scene in the mall with the ALF activists with that corny ass John Denver song playing in the background was simply superb! :up: The second half was a bit of a drag at times and I missed the more lighthearted slapstick tone of the first half & at times it felt a little too heavy handed in its portrayal of corporate greed & ethics or lack thereof (to be fair, Joon-ho also portrays the foibles of the animal rights group) but overall, it was quite entertaining even if its not on the level of a SNOWPIERCER or THE HOST.

Comment

Mija and Okja were the nice balance between the ALF and Mirando. just wanted to live on the mountain. liked how it showed the ALF was capable of douchiness to achieve it's objective. then low cost tasty food for people from Mirando.

good movie

Comment

Nobody is ever going to confuse Bong Joon-Ho with an Alfred Hitchcock or a Sidney Lumet - direct, precise filmmakers. Joon-Ho's films veer wildly in tone. OKJA is no different than SNOWPIERCER, MOTHER, THE HOST etc. in that regard. But, no matter the apparent looseness of his filmmaking style, Joon-Ho's movies work on a deeper emotional level. And, so does his current work.
                        It's a Girl and her Pig tale meets Whistleblowing on evil corporate scientists - Charlotte's Web meets The Insider. Don't let the idyllic early scenes of the Mija and Okja the pig in South Korea fool you - this movie gets pretty dark before it's over (Parental warning: the movie is unrated, but it would be an R). Tilda Swinton has a dual role as twin sisters who run the evil food-processing corporation Mirando which has developed Super Pigs like Okja. The Mirando scenes are played very broadly which can be off-putting at first compared to the more naturalistic farm scenes. There's also a militant animal rights group (the ALF) lead by Paul Dano - and, those scenes often play as wacko as the Mirando ones.
                        All three story strands come together when Okja and Mija come to NYC and New Jersey for a Super-Pig convention, that, naturally, will be crashed by the ALF. As I noted earlier, the movie gets pretty grisly and dark towards the climax, but a strand of black satire and a touch of humanity makes it bearable - and brings the theme into focus.
                        OKJA (and Joon-Ho's work overall) is not for everybody. His methods border on the undisciplined, but, for me, they burrow into the subconscious like few other movie-makers working right now.

It's a damn shame that Netflix is dumping OKJA into only a handful of theaters. The $50M production with plentiful CGI deserves to be seen on the big screen. But, like the Mirando corporation, Netflix has their own corporate agenda.

Comment

Working...
                        X