Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twilight Zone - The 1980s Series Coming To DVD

Digital Bits says:

"Image Entertainment has set Twilight Zone 80s: The Complete Series for DVD only release on 8/26 (SRP $59.98). All three seasons (65 episodes) will be included. Extras will include a photo gallery, a Wes Craven video interview and numerous audio commentaries."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Funnily enough, I took receipt of the UK boxset yesterday, which I snagged in one of Zavvi's sales for the reasonable sum of £18-99. I haven't seen many of these episodes in years. Looking forward to digging into it.

UK set:
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

This All-in-One set is new, however, Image released, I think in 2005, a box set of Season 1, and then a box set of Season 2 &3.

It's all the seasons being combined and repackaged into a smaller single box set, for a lower retail price.

Comment

Some of those audio commentaries could be interesting.

Shame that this is one of those shows from this era that (unless I'm mistaken) were shot on film but edited on videotape - otherwise it would cry out for a Blu-ray presentation.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Yeah, I recall a review on the front page for Amazon's listing for Season 1 of this Twilight Zone series, a guy who worked on the show writing a review as to why these will never look as sharp as The Twilight Zone original series, due to the archived sources for the 80's show being on tape, and the original still having the film reels. Looking now, I see the review is on the main page for the Season 1 box set, and the guy's name is Alan Brennert, he writes that he was a writer / producer ont he show.

I have watched all of the original set, both boxes, all the way through, and I recall the picture being good. I had no issues with it. it's not like a bunch of digital noise, such as the Ray Bradbury Presents boxed set, where they crammed too much onto each DVD, causing compression artifacts.

This 80's Twilight Zone release looked fine to me.

Comment

It was kind of a hit and miss show. The episode done by Wes Craven was one of the more interesting ones.
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Yeah, hit and miss.

Some I really recall, and still thought were good when viewing the DVD set, was the one about the radio message people aren't supposed to hear. The vague episode about Grandma's bed. Those 2 stick out pretty well.

Comment

Twilight Zone - 80s - Series

Definitely not even close to as great as the original series, but it was on when I was a kid and I enjoyed it so it brings about happy, nostalgic memories. Two episodes we watched last night that I remembered well...

SPOILERS, BUT I DOUBT ANYONE CARES 30 + YEARS LATER...

1. Wordplay - Starring Robert Klein as a man whose family and co-workers start randomly replacing words with other words. He starts to find people who don't even know each other using the same "wrong" words and slowly starts to go crazy.

2. The Children's Zoo - Nobody worthy of mention in this (except for a cameo by Wes Craven, who also is credited as the write of the episode). A little girl with horrid parents convinces them to take her to the children's zoo. When they get there she ends up swapping her parents for new parents.

Some cool writers involved with this series, kind of like Tales From the Darkside and Amazing Stories which were both popular at the time. All were amusing at the time even if not anything all that impressive.

Is anyone else planning on picking this set up? Any episodes that come to mind?
                Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

I guess there's already a thread...

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/s...=twilight+zone

Feel free to combine.
                  Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

The new CBS set (which we just got and started diving into) is, so far as I can tell, identical to the old Image releases - they even start off with an Image logo.

Neat to see so many interesting contributors here - Craven, George RR Martin, Stephen King, William Friedkin - and some neat casting choices too, like Bruce Willis, Meg Foster, Terry O'Quinn just in the first couple of episodes.

I don't love the non-Serling narration but what can you do, he was dead by that point.

Weird that The Grateful Dead do some of the music.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I watched it as a kid when it aired on CBS?,and enjoyed it. At the time I had only seen maybe 20 of the original TZ episodes. Need to buy the season sets of the 80s revival show.

At least for me the 80s was a great time for thriller/horror/sci fi anthology shows. You had Twilight Zone,Hitchcock was back for a few seasons,Darkside and then Amazing Stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                        I watched it as a kid when it aired on CBS?,and enjoyed it. At the time I had only seen maybe 20 of the original TZ episodes. Need to buy the season sets of the 80s revival show.

At least for me the 80s was a great time for thriller/horror/sci fi anthology shows. You had Twilight Zone,Hitchcock was back for a few seasons,Darkside and then Amazing Stories.
                        Don't forget one of my faves, HBO's THE HITCH-HIKER!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                          Don't forget one of my faves, HBO's THE HITCH-HIKER!

I've been watching select Hitchhiker episodes as of late, namely Verhoeven's "Last Scene" and the three directed by Mai Zetterling. Great stuff.

Friedkin's Twilight Zone episode about the unhinged war vet is incredible. Really amazing what can be done in 20 minutes with the right people.
                          LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
                            Friedkin's Twilight Zone episode about the unhinged war vet is incredible. Really amazing what can be done in 20 minutes with the right people.
                            Watched this one last night and I agree, a really strong episode. Great performances, a really interesting story and concept and tight direction. It was also surprisingly violent I thought. At least by mainstream 80s TV standards.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                            X