Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosmos

Anyone else been watching this?

I remember the Carl Sagan show from when I was a kid. Obviously now Neil deGrasse Tyson is hosting it. It's come a long way, it's all fancy effects and HD footage now and visually it's pretty rad. There are some areas that they kind of gloss over that in my opinion they should have gone into more detail on and vice versa but overall I've enjoyed the two episodes so far.

Odd that in Kansas parts of the series is being censored for dealing with evolution. Idiots.

You can stream it online here.

There's something likeable about Tyson. He just seems like kind of a cool, smart guy who would be interesting to hang out with. That makes the show more watchable than it might be otherwise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	yall-mafuckers-need-science.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	364103
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I watched the first episode and plan on sticking with it. Tyson is a good host, and I like that MacFarlane is (so far) not adding his comic touches to it.

And Yes! We all need science.

Comment

I've been meaning to check this out. Tyson is great. I have one of the Great Courses lectures by him ("My Favorite Universe"), and it's excellent. Not only does he know his stuff, he's very passionate about it. Plus, his cameo on The Big Bang Theory was pretty good, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Casey View Post
        I've been meaning to check this out. Tyson is great. I have one of the Great Courses lectures by him ("My Favorite Universe"), and it's excellent. Not only does he know his stuff, he's very passionate about it. Plus, his cameo on The Big Bang Theory was pretty good, too.
        I haven't seen that episode. But yeah, he's a really good host. The series so far kinda reminds me of that BBC series Universe with Brian Cox, who was also a good host, down to Earth and all that.

Monkey - agreed on the MacFarlane part. Had he gotten silly with all of this it would have sunk it fast.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I've been watching and enjoying this. It's nice the way they have been able to recapture the spirit of the original series. It "feels" like Cosmos. My only dissapointment so far is the soundtrack. The original was a nice mix of classical and electronic music. The new soundtrack is fine, but contains nothing that would warrant a soundtrack purchase like the original did.

Comment

What I like about this the most is that Tyson flies around in a modified Boba Fett ship.

Name:	Slave_I_Vanqor.jpg
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	345474

Name:	SOTI_EXT_Titans-Lake.jpg
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	345475
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

A black guy flying around in Slave 1? Hmm...
              It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

No release date noted yet but there's an Amazon listing for it with this cover art...

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Another solid episode last night. The details around Sir Isaac Newton were interesting, learned some stuff I didn't know before. At first the animation used in this series didn't work for me but the more I see of it the more I start to like it.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I have been watching this new COSMOS series every week since its first broadcast. It is a good update/sequel to the original 1980 series. I have told many friends who have been watching to watch the original if they haven't as Carl Sagan approached the subject of each segment in a different manner. For instance, in the new series, Newton was discussed in place of Kepler in the original. In terms of a host, Neil Degrasse Tyson is just as interesting and avuncular as Carl Sagan was. They both have the uncanny ability to involve the viewer in subjects that have the potential to be dry and boring to most people.

My only gripe is that since this new COSMOS series is on Fox, the commercial breaks do tend to disrupt the flow of each episode. Hopefully the Blu-Ray release will remedy that.

Comment

If are digging the new COSMOS I also recommend the new three part series YOUR INNER FISH.

http://www.pbs.org/your-inner-fish/home/

Comment

That looks awesome. I'll check that out for sure.

Comment

Final packaging/cover art courtesy of Fox's PR dept.

Name:	ImageProxy.mvc.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	346428
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I watched an episode of this today. Its nicely put together but I still found it a trudge. It spends so much trying to engage my sense of wonder at all this. I already have a well developed sense of wonder at the scale of everything so it feels a bit redundant to keep telling me how awesome it all is. The episode I was watching was also centered around our solar system and relied heavily on computer graphics for things I'd rather see photos of.
                            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                            X