Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain

First it was a book, then it was a comic. Now it's a TV Show.

"A plane lands at John F. Kennedy International Airport with lights off and doors sealed. Epidemiologist Dr. Ephraim Goodweather and his team are sent to investigate. On board they find two hundred corpses and four survivors. The situation deteriorates when the bodies begin disappearing from morgues. Goodweather and a small group of helpers find themselves battling to protect not only their own loved ones, but the entire city, from an ancient threat to humanity.

Full cast list here.

This is set to premiere in July of 2014
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Didnt think much of the book...so will give this one a miss...

add to that the annoying "home video hand-held camera" type deal they are using in the clip....will definitley pass...

Comment

I, for one, am looking forward to it. Thoroughly enjoyed the series, have really liked what I've read of the comic book interpretation, and am stoked to see a live-action version. Apparently, that was Del Toro's plan originally but he couldn't find a home for it and that makes sense give the story's structure.
      It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

I'm looking forward to this as well. I thought the first book in the trilogy was terrific, scary stuff. The parts about the infected people going home and spreading the vamp scourge to their families and neighbors was creepy as hell, I thought it recaptured the flavor of similar disturbing business in King's Salem's Lot. The second and third books weren't as gripping as the first and I was letdown a little with the ending but it was a good read overall. I have every issue of the comic and have been very impressed with this adaptation...the art by Mike Huddleston is top stuff, nightmarish at times and David Lapham has done very well at concentrating on the essential stuff from the novels.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Yeah i am sure that plenty of people will lap this up.....but for me Del Toro is not as good as his reputation.....PACIFIC RIM was deeply disappointing....and the other movies of his that I have seen have been entertaining..but that is about all the enthusiasm I can muster up for them.....I understand the people who like him and love what he does...but unfortunately he does little for me....

Comment

Well how nice of them to mention vampires. Now I know I can avoid this shit like the plague. Also, isnt it dumb to make a mystery series when the wikipedia synopsis pretty much says lays out the plot for your show in advance?
            "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Just to clarify something, I'm not a big Del Toro fan either in general. His sort of fantasy laced horror stuff isn't really my cup'o at all. I saw PACIFIC RIM in the theater and thought it was a spectacle, but no substance there imo and I have no desire to ever see it again. I actually credit a lot of what works in the 3 Strain novels to Chuck Hogan, who I'm certain did all the actual writing (he's written several novels, including the basis for THE TOWN). Del Toro probably came up with the idea and outline but Hogan did all the heavy lifting when it came to sitting down and pounding it out. Just my opinion.

And Swede, these are not your typical vampires, they are monsters with snake-like appendages that come out of the mouth to pierce their victim. The infected lose all their hair and take on a very grotesque appearance, these ain't angsty, sparkly vampires poppin' zits and worrying about what to wear to the prom.
              Andrew Monroe
              Pallid Hands
              Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 12-04-2013, 10:57 AM.
              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Really enjoyed the books and have been also enjoying Dark Horse's run on the comics - so, yeah, duh, it's the Internet Age so the story's out there. Doesn't make it any less fun to watch/anticipate, tho'.

Comment

I may have to give this a watch since it is FX.
                    "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Wriggly blood worms - hooray!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Finally, a real honest to goodness preview spot.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X