X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlestar Galactica 2003-2009 reboot

Anybody a fan of this program?

Is it any good?

Is it really more grown up than the original?

What to do you like about it?
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
    Anybody a fan of this program?

Is it any good?

Is it really more grown up than the original?

What to do you like about it?
    I loved it. And was a huge fan of the original series. I like how it was darker and a more mature approach to the storyline. Plus loved how they changed the Cylons.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Kinda sorry I spent the money on it. But maybe I'll like it.

I almost clicked on BABYLON 5 and FARSCAPE but somehow managed to hold the impulse in check. One can only handle so much buyer's remorse in a weekend.

What are those programs like?

Would you say that BATTLESTAR GALACTICA was the best of the recent space operas?

Comment

I think it blows away most of the other TV sf that has been made. It does become uneven over the seasons and I didn't care for the ending but there's a lot of good stuff for the first 3-4 seasons. The pilot is the most depressing few hours of TV ever broadcast I think. Probably the closest to something like Joe Haldeman's The Forever War that we're likely to see.

Comment

I was a big fan of the original growing up, it was a pretty important part of my childhood. I never got too into the reboot simply because I'm not good at watching TV and the Blu sets were spendy when they first came out. If I weren't in the middle of a Doctor Who obsession right now I might bite on the BSG sets as they've come down in price.

A new feature length movie, Blood & Chrome, comes out 2/19.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I read a review on amazon that says the sets were destroyed so the producers of CHROME AND BLOOD "re-imagined" them via CGI. No sets. So the actors stand of front of a green screen and pretend that they are indoors, outdoors, etc..

Received the Battlestar Galactica blu's today. Will do the 2003 mini-series tonight and the take the rest from there although, for some reason, I feel pulled to put on THE HIRED HAND from 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
              A new feature length movie, Blood & Chrome, comes out 2/19.
              Actually, unless I'm badly mistaken -- Blood and Chrome is not a movie, per se. It originally was released as a web series with episodes that were ten minutes long or so. May have been stitched together as a movie for the disc release though...

Comment

I honestly have no idea where it originated from, but yeah, according to the packaging it's 'an all new chapter in the Battlestar Galactica saga' and the 'explosive, never-before-seen unrated edition.' Doesn't say anything about it being a web series, but then, they probably don't want to advertise that.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  I was a big fan of the original growing up, it was a pretty important part of my childhood. I never got too into the reboot simply because I'm not good at watching TV and the Blu sets were spendy when they first came out. If I weren't in the middle of a Doctor Who obsession right now I might bite on the BSG sets as they've come down in price.
                  That sounds like my brother. The original was important to him and he couldn't adjust to the revisionism with all the changes. He says there are no heroes and no noble characters (a complaint of my own across the board of modern TV and film) in the reboot. He hates it still.

Do give it a try, Ian, when Dr. Who lets go of you. Let us know your impressions. What I've seen so far -- the first 90 minutes of the 2003 mini-series -- is extremely well-thought out and tightly constructed. This is a maturation. I don't miss Boxy. There is literacy here.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Kinda sorry I spent the money on it. But maybe I'll like it.

I almost clicked on BABYLON 5 and FARSCAPE but somehow managed to hold the impulse in check. One can only handle so much buyer's remorse in a weekend.

What are those programs like?

Would you say that BATTLESTAR GALACTICA was the best of the recent space operas?
                    I would say it is the best of the last 10 years of televison Science Fiction shows. I avoided the show for the first 3 seasons ,because I was such a huge fan of the original and heard about all that was changed. Then SciFi channel was marathoning the first 3 seasons before the 4th started airing. So I recorded them and watched 3 seasons in about 2 weeks. I know most people seem to hate the ending but I did like it. I am sure I will catch flack for this but I never could get into Babylon 5. I have tried many times but always tap out in the middle of the second season.

Comment

Do give it a try, Ian, when Dr. Who lets go of you. Let us know your impressions. What I've seen so far -- the first 90 minutes of the 2003 mini-series -- is extremely well-thought out and tightly constructed. This is a maturation. I don't miss Boxy. There is literacy here.
                      I'll get around to it soon. It's been on my list for a while now but as we all know, there are only so many hours in a day! Interesting that your brother didn't like it. I don't necessarily have a problem with revisionism if it's done well.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I was a fan of the original BSG as a kid, and while that version still holds some nostalgia value for me the BSG reboot blows it away. In fact it is one of my all time favorite shows.

Comment

Two really outstanding episodes from the first season are "Act of Contrition" and "You Can't Go Home Again." The first ends with Starbuck crashing on a moon, the second picks up with her learning how to fly the Cylon craft she shot down so that she can escape the moon before the oxygen runs out. What a terrific feature film this would have made. Does the program get better than this?

Comment

Yes. Yes, it does.

Comment

I've never watched the new BG but all this talk is making me feel kinda like maybe.
                              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Working...
                              X