X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Biliousss

• Biliousss
    replied
    Waiting impatiently for someone to do complete maniac mansion series.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    Intellectual Carrot

• Scott
    replied
    RIP Count Floyd

Leave a comment:

• JoeS

• JoeS
    replied
    JOE FLAHERTY's passing today is incredibly sad for me. SCTV is one of the greatest influences on me in comedy. Flaherty was a key member playing the mythical channel's Station Manager Guy Caballero - he made an unlikeable character bearable and, most importantly, hysterically funny. Sammy Maudlin, Count Floyd, Big Jim McBob - his characters were all memorable. It was great that JOE FLAHERTY got a second major career boost with Freaks & Geeks, along with a string of scene stealing appearances. Still, for me, I can still remember staying up in the wee hours and watching SCTV and marvelling at this "little Canadian show" that was incredibly creative and hilarious.
    My favorite Flaherty character was COUNT FLOYD. The two-bit rinky dink network late night horror host. This segment in particular - WHISPERS OF THE WOLF with it's dead on parody of Ingmar Bergman.
    RIP Joe Flaherty. And, thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the joy and the laughter.

Leave a comment:

• Vincent Dawn Jr

• Vincent Dawn Jr
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    This will always be hilarious to me.

Fucking amazing! Thanks for posting this (and the tip about SCTV Youtube).

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    This will always be hilarious to me.

Leave a comment:

• Lorne Marshall

• Lorne Marshall
    replied
    I grew up viewing SCTV in syndication, long before it ever became an NBC show. I still laugh when I watch the episodes from the box sets that were released. I especially enjoyed the way the canned laughter was slightly skewed, which gave the humor a touch of weirdness you wouldn't see from TV comedy till probably the last decade, when the laugh track disappeared completely from a lot of them (though admittedly I haven't watched any recent sitcoms, I just get that impression).

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Originally posted by Vincent Dawn Jr View Post
    I recall seeing bits and pieces of SCTV late night on the weekends, but I was too young to get the humor. I think there was a DVD set I saw on Amazon awhile back, but it was a bit pricey.
    A whole lot of SCTV content has been uploaded to their official YouTube channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/@TheOfficialSCTV

Leave a comment:

• Vincent Dawn Jr

• Vincent Dawn Jr
    replied
    Yes, he was great as the dad in Freaks and Geeks! I love the scene where the wife is all sly like, "The kids are gone, we have the house all to ourselves. How bout a little sex?" And he responds with a baffled look and goes, "Sex?.....well....alright."

I recall seeing bits and pieces of SCTV late night on the weekends, but I was too young to get the humor. I think there was a DVD set I saw on Amazon awhile back, but it was a bit pricey.

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    Total bummer. I feel like he was under-appreciated, but once you got him, absolutely hilarious. RIP.

He was really fantastic on "Freaks and Geeks".

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    started a topic R.I.P. Joe Flaherty

R.I.P. Joe Flaherty

He's passed away at 82.

"Joe Flaherty, the comedic actor best known for his performances in the influential sketch comedy series “SCTV” and as a father on the short-lived NBC ensemble series “Freaks and Geeks,” died on Monday. He was 82.

His death was confirmed by his daughter, Gudrun Flaherty, who said that Mr. Flaherty died after a “brief illness.” She did not specify a cause, or say where he died."

More here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/02/a...erty-dead.html
Working...
X