Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kino Bringing Columbo To Blu-ray

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Probably good timing. I hear Columbo being brought up a bit recently because of the show Poker Face which every review says is a return to Columbo style television. Which it isn't but it does turn my mind to wanting to see Columbo again. Haven't seen it since I was a kid but I remember enjoying it.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Columbo seems to have developed quite the cult following, which is why I think yoi see the comparison's to Poker Face. I'd agree though that they have little in common.

The biggest innovation of PF is the combo of prestige tv production and casts combined with the weekly episodic murder mystery structure of the 70s and 80s that is rare these days.

Comment

Coming 11/21/23 from Kino.

COLUMBO: THE 1970s
        SEASONS 1-7

• RESTORED IN 4K BY UNIVERSAL PICTURES
        • NEW Audio Commentaries for PRESCRIPTION: MURDER/BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER/A STITCH IN CRIME/A FRIEND IN DEED/TROUBLED WATERS/LAST SALUTE TO THE COMMODORE/TRY AND CATCH ME by Author Mark Dawidziak
        • NEW Audio Commentaries for RANSOM FOR A DEAD MAN/DEATH LENDS A HAND/THE MOST DANGEROUS MATCH/DOUBLE SHOCK/PUBLISH OR PERISH/BY DAWN'S EARLY LIGHT/PLAYBACK/A DEADLY STATE OF MIND by Author/Historian Scott Skelton
        • NEW Audio Commentaries for MURDER BY THE BOOK/LADY IN WAITING/REQUIEM FOR A FALLING STAR/LOVELY BUT LETHAL/CANDIDATE FOR CRIME/NEGATIVE REACTION/IDENTITY CRISIS/THE BYE-BYE SKY HIGH IQ MURDER CASE/MAKE ME A PERFECT MURDER/HOW TO DIAL A MURDER by Author/Historian Jim Benson
        • NEW Audio Commentaries for RANSOM FOR A DEAD MAN/MURDER BY THE BOOK by Screenwriter/Historian Gary Gerani
        • NEW Audio Commentaries for DEAD WEIGHT/DAGGER OF THE MIND/ANY OLD PORT IN A STORM/DOUBLE EXPOSURE/SWAN SONG/AN EXERCISE IN FATALITY/FORGOTTEN LADY/NOW YOU SEE HIM.../OLD FASHIONED MURDER by Author/Historian David Koenig
        • NEW Audio Commentary for ÉTUDE IN BLACK by Authors/Historians David Koenig and Scott Skelton
        • NEW Audio Commentaries for SHORT FUSE/THE GREENHOUSE JUNGLE/THE MOST CRUCIAL GAME/A CASE OF IMMUNITY/MURDER UNDER GLASS by Writers/Authors Troy Howarth and Nathaniel Thompson
        • NEW Audio Commentary for A MATTER OF HONOR by Author/Historian Amanda Reyes
        • NEW Audio Commentary for FADE IN TO MURDER by Author/Historian Amanda Reyes and Author/Podcaster Daniel R. Budnik
        • NEW Audio Commentary for MIND OVER MAYHEM by Historian/Filmmaker Craig Bream with Special Guest Bill Malone
        • NEW Audio Commentary for THE CONSPIRATORS by Television Music Historian Reba Wissner
        • Selected Commentaries Include Excerpted Interviews with Peter Falk, Dick Van Dyke, Patrick McGoohan, Vincent Price, Martin Sheen, Richard Levinson, William Link, Lee Grant, Steven Bochco, Suzanne Pleshette, Norman Lloyd, Robert Butler, Stanley Ralph Ross and Many More!
        • Shorter 71 Minute-Cut of ÉTUDE IN BLACK
        • Booklet with Essay by Author Mark Dawidziak and Episode Guide
        • Optional Music and Effects Audio Tracks for Every Episode
        • Newly Commissioned Slipcase Cover Illustration by Tony Stella
        • Optional English Subtitles

1968-1978 Color Approx. 3800 Minutes (20 Discs) 1.33:1 Not Rated
        Restored in 4K by Universal Pictures! Columbo is the landmark series that set the standard for the murder mystery genre. Remastered in 4K by Universal, Columbo: The 1970s includes the first seven seasons of this enduring classic on Blu-ray! Starring Peter Falk in his four-time Emmy-winning role as the cigar-chomping, trenchcoat-wearing police lieutenant, this 20-disc collection includes every criminally entertaining episode from the series’ first seven seasons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	367445713_775858494502064_3657376948184929709_n.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	418984
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Are they bringing it to Blu, or slyly tricking it into bringing itself to Blu?

Comment

From Kino's FB page:

•• Due to unforeseen issues, we can no longer include all the NEW audio commentaries, essay and other extras we had produced for our upcoming Columbo: 1970s boxed set ••
            Coming November 21st on Blu-ray!

COLUMBO: THE 1970s

SEASONS 1-7

• RESTORED IN 4K BY UNIVERSAL PICTURES
            • Includes the 1968 Movie-of-the-Week "Prescription: Murder" and the 1971 Pilot "Ransom for a Dead Man"
            • Shorter 71 Minute-Cut of ÉTUDE IN BLACK
            • Episode Guide Booklet
            • Newly Commissioned Slipcase Cover Illustration by Tony Stella
            • Optional English Subtitles

Color Approx. 3800 Minutes (20 Discs) 1.33:1 Not Rated

Columbo is the landmark series that set the standard for the murder mystery genre. Remastered in 4K by Universal, Columbo: The 1970s includes the first seven seasons of this enduring classic on Blu-ray! Starring Peter Falk in his four-time Emmy-winning role as the cigar-chomping, trenchcoat-wearing police lieutenant, this 20-disc collection includes every criminally entertaining episode from the series’ first seven seasons.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeesh...I was going to order this specifically for the commentaries. I'll stick with my DVD set. That's gotta be a huge bummer for Kino given how much time and money must've gone into producing all that content. I wonder why they had to pull those features.
              Toyboy
              like a hole in the head
              Last edited by Toyboy; 08-29-2023, 07:48 AM.
              Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

I'm wondering if these extras were scrapped because of the WGA/SAG strikes. I know very little about the details of the negotiations but have noticed over the last few weeks that many podcasts featuring actors and writers will have a disclaimer that the episode was recorded prior to the strike. My guess is that part of what's under debate is the use of any and all recorded material to discuss or promote studio product and it could be that the idea of using old footage in docs or adding commentary to footage constitutes unique content that actors and writers want to be paid for.
                Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
                  I'm wondering if these extras were scrapped because of the WGA/SAG strikes. I know very little about the details of the negotiations but have noticed over the last few weeks that many podcasts featuring actors and writers will have a disclaimer that the episode was recorded prior to the strike. My guess is that part of what's under debate is the use of any and all recorded material to discuss or promote studio product and it could be that the idea of using old footage in docs or adding commentary to footage constitutes unique content that actors and writers want to be paid for.
                  The disclaimers are because the actors are not allowed to be doing any promotional work for anything while the strike is on. Doing a podcast could be seen to count as would doing commentaries and extras I would imagine. If the extras weren't already prepared prior to the strike I could definitely see that would be an issue but I'm guessing they would have been recorded a while ago?
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

More likely the rights holders didn't want any of the commentaries attached to their copyrighted material.

Comment

Working...
                    X