HBO's The Last Of Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barry M View Post
    Really think STATION ELEVEN was an influence. There are worse models.
    is that worth checking out? the basic premise sounded cool but then i started watching the trailer. felt hokey vibes cranked through the roof so i shut it off

Comment

Originally posted by JLG View Post

is that worth checking out? the basic premise sounded cool but then i started watching the trailer. felt hokey vibes cranked through the roof so i shut it off
      The first episode was good. Man on the street view of new deadly pandemic with a couple of good protagonists who I was annoyed are only with us for this first episode. I only got two further episodes in. Those next couple of episodes were very meandering. Very hard to my finger exactly what sort of program I was watching. It feels a bit high falutin' but beyond a lot of Shakepeare references I couldn't figure what it had to falut. I hear those who persevere often claim to be rewarded for their determination.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post

The first episode was good. Man on the street view of new deadly pandemic with a couple of good protagonists who I was annoyed are only with us for this first episode. I only got two further episodes in. Those next couple of episodes were very meandering. Very hard to my finger exactly what sort of program I was watching. It feels a bit high falutin' but beyond a lot of Shakepeare references I couldn't figure what it had to falut. I hear those who persevere often claim to be rewarded for their determination.
        Agreed, and with some more color, as I did make it all the way: It's slow, introspective, and doesn't care if you keep watching. It wouldn't get made with the current "creative" in charge @ HBO.
        I really enjoyed it. I connected with it emotionally far more than I would've expected, and was genuinely moved to tears a couple of times, and in completely unexpected ways. One of my favorites from '22 (cuz I waited til it was almost done before I started it).

If you're intrigued by the first episode, keep going. It *does* payoff. It just requires a little work on the viewers part.

Comment

I liked Dtation Eleven a lot. I don't think the ending works but I understand why they wanted to do it but they didn't stick the landing. Despite all the Shakespeare many of the most effective scenes are actually built around hip-hop and RnB. The high points more than make up for the few flaws though, easily the best show that year and one of the best in the past couple of years.

Also enjoying TLOU. Big fan of the game, only played the first one as I thought the ending was so perfect that to try and continue it was not a good idea.

The tv series is quite faithful to the game even if it is taking some unexpected detours, which makes it interesting for those who may have feared a direct shot for shot recreation would feel flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G View Post
            I liked Dtation Eleven a lot. I don't think the ending works but I understand why they wanted to do it but they didn't stick the landing. Despite all the Shakespeare many of the most effective scenes are actually built around hip-hop and RnB. The high points more than make up for the few flaws though, easily the best show that year and one of the best in the past couple of years.

Also enjoying TLOU. Big fan of the game, only played the first one as I thought the ending was so perfect that to try and continue it was not a good idea.

The tv series is quite faithful to the game even if it is taking some unexpected detours, which makes it interesting for those who may have feared a direct shot for shot recreation would feel flat.
            The concern I have seen more of is screeching over any changes from the games to the show.

Comment

Rather than compete with Superbowl Sunday, episode 5 will debut on Friday night this week.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                Rather than compete with Superbowl Sunday, episode 5 will debut on Friday night this week.
                Awesome! Sooner is better, and you know, I got my superbowl square and pies showing up Sunday.

Not really.

Comment

Still enjoying this. Episodes 4 and 5 haven't had quite the emotional impact that episode 3 did but 5 does come close. The acting is still really strong across the board. This is good TV.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Was it just me, or was the little girl clicker extremely disturbing?
                    Darcy Parker
                    Last edited by Darcy Parker; 02-13-2023, 03:49 PM.

Comment

This show seems to be settling into a pattern. Introduce new characters, give them a story, let you think they have a role to play and then kill them off. In the first episode it was the daughter. In the second it was the Australian woman. In the third it was Offerman and the Australian guy. The fourth episode was filler. Then in the 5th the deaf kid and his dad. Mostly enjoying the show but it appears to have limited tricks up its sleeve and I may be losing interest.
                      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Looks like S1 is getting a Blu-ray and UHD release in July.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-L...lu-ray/332641/
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This show seems to be settling into a pattern. Introduce new characters, give them a story, let you think they have a role to play and then kill them off. In the first episode it was the daughter. In the second it was the Australian woman. In the third it was Offerman and the Australian guy. The fourth episode was filler. Then in the 5th the deaf kid and his dad. Mostly enjoying the show but it appears to have limited tricks up its sleeve and I may be losing interest.
                          I'm still well-invested, but I hear what you're saying. Really, after that third episode, I can't blame them for just throwing filler in, because it was going to be compared to the "excellent third ep" or whatever; but it could have been a little more memorable. I

Comment

Without going into spoiler territory, the most recent episode didn't follow that pattern, mostly. I guess you could say the ending did, but that's got to be just a cliffhanger, right?
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post

Without going into spoiler territory, the most recent episode didn't follow that pattern, mostly. I guess you could say the ending did, but that's got to be just a cliffhanger, right?
                              Gotta be cliff hanger. It'd be one of the biggest rug pulls in tv history if they did that. At the same time kind of in keeping with the structure I was talking about above if not.

It is a weirdly episodic show. All of a sudden Joel is having panic attacks in episode 6 because that's relevant to that episodes mission. I don't recall them being mentioned before and I'm guessing they won't be mentioned again. I'm not really up on video game story telling but is the structure the result of following a video game structure? The idea of self contained 'levels?

Comment

It is a weirdly episodic show. All of a sudden Joel is having panic attacks in episode 6 because that's relevant to that episodes mission. I don't recall them being mentioned before and I'm guessing they won't be mentioned again. I'm not really up on video game story telling but is the structure the result of following a video game structure? The idea of self contained 'levels?
                                I've never played the game so have no idea where it's going or not. I figured what happened to Joel might have been panic attacks, which under the circumstances, would be understandable I think. But you're right, I don't think they were mentioned before at all and they did kind of come out of left field.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X