• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO's The Last Of Us

Coming in 2023.

http://cinemachords.com/endure-and-s...ry-shot-count/

Ian Jane
    Administrator
    Last edited by Ian Jane; 01-25-2023, 09:27 AM.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

My daughter sold some clothes to the costumer for the show for extras when she was still working at the Vans Outlet. She's a huge fan of the games, so she was pretty stoked.

Comment

Watched the first episode last night, it's pretty decent. Good production values and acting. Some really tense moments too. That bit where it all hits the fan and they're trying to get out of town reminded me of the DOTD remake a bit, but that didn't take away from it, really. Curious enough to give the 2nd episode a chance when time permits.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        Watched the first episode last night, it's pretty decent.
        agree. pretty good but nothing special.

thought the second episode was great tho. really grabbed my attention and made me want to see what happens next!

Comment

Thoughts:

- significant budget on this. Able to get those big exteriors that they can't do on Walking Dead. After the cheap hatchet job they did on Halo it's surprising to see this much money spent on a video game adaptation. It's not just money though. Right from the start there's a sure handedness to the production you don't often see. I don't know if I'm into the show but if I don't get into it won't be because it wasn't good enough.
          - I want to hate the teenage girl character. She feels like such a cliche. But she also gets great lines.
          - It's starting to feel like it's rare to see an American in the main roles. The second episode here is a 3 hander with a Chilean, a brit and an Australian all sporting American accents and not a Yank to be seen. There's, what, 360 million Americans. Couldn't find an appropriate one anywhere?
          - second episode was better than the first- though the first 20 minutes of the show is hyper tense and well done. I think I wasn't interested in the post apocalyptic settlement scenes. More fun is to be had roaming amongst the Clickers. I think whether I like this or not is going to have a lot to do with how much time is spent in the wastelands.

Already renewed for Season 2.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

The effects work for the backgrounds is amazing. If I posted comparison pics of the various parts of Calgary’s downtown that they used in episode 2, it would probably take a minute to recognize the buildings.

Comment

As a fan of the games it’s damned impressive to see just how accurately the look and feel of The Last of Us is being translated into television. It was moderately surreal to watch a sequence in the second episode that so directly captured the feel of playing through a tense section of the video game while not actually, you know, playing it. I’m looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season plays out even though I already know exactly how that’s going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by FnordChan View Post
                As a fan of the games it’s damned impressive to see just how accurately the look and feel of The Last of Us is being translated into television. It was moderately surreal to watch a sequence in the second episode that so directly captured the feel of playing through a tense section of the video game while not actually, you know, playing it. I’m looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season plays out even though I already know exactly how that’s going to happen.
                I was watching some splitscreen videos with the show on the left and the series on the right demonstrating how they've gone line for line and shot for shot in a lot of this. As someone who's not completely up with modern video games storytelling techniques it was a bit of an eye opener. The vid also really showcased the importance of good actors. The same lines hit so much better coming of actors than the well-rendered but still unnuanced video game characters.
                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Can only echo what others have said. Loving the show, I won't get into any spoilers. Nick Offerman was fantastic in last night's episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                    Can only echo what others have said. Loving the show, I won't get into any spoilers. Nick Offerman was fantastic in last night's episode.
                    Murray Bartlett was great too, but yeah, Offerman was fantastic. What an unexpectedly amazing turn from him in a role I did not expect. Heartbreaking episode. Was getting a little teary-eyed at parts.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post

Murray Bartlett was great too, but yeah, Offerman was fantastic. What an unexpectedly amazing turn from him in a role I did not expect. Heartbreaking episode. Was getting a little teary-eyed at parts.
                      Yeah, that's what threw me, was Offerman pulling it off. Not that I didn't think he could, just that I didn't think I'd get to see something like that.

Comment

I was also tearing up during the third episode. What a damn fine episode of television that was and kudos all around to everyone involved.

Comment

Interesting direction to go for a third episode. I was expecting zombie dodging each week. Still not sure I'm into it but it's high quality stuff.

Comment

Really think STATION ELEVEN was an influence. There are worse models.

Comment

Pedro Pascal is hosting SNL on Saturday.

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/saturday...-on-the-brain/
                              Ian Jane
                              Administrator
                              Last edited by Ian Jane; 02-13-2023, 10:58 AM.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X