Werewolf By Night Coming To Disney Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Werewolf By Night Coming To Disney Plus

Coming to Disney Plus on 10/7/22. I think this looks pretty fun - Man-Thing!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

It's crazy that 15 years later the aesthetic influence of GRINDHOUSE lives on. I'll likely fast forward to the Man-Thing scenes regardless but if the actual show is all done in this mock "schlock" style I'm out. My guess is that they'll do this WANDAVISION style with each episode paying homage to a different era of horror flicks and that show irritated me quite a bit, so this is probably not for me.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Can't be worse than the Man-Thing movie. No wonder they had a rethink of the whole Marvel cinematic thing after that.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Looks like it's cribbing the story from THE BEAST MUST DIE.
        "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
          . My guess is that they'll do this WANDAVISION style with each episode paying homage to a different era of horror flicks and that show irritated me quite a bit, so this is probably not for me.
          I think it's a one off movie not a TV show. I have low expectations for Marvel but that actually does look pretty fun. I'm in.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Yep, it's a Halloween special type deal, not an ongoing.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I don't see ANY post GRIND HOUSE QTism stuff here, curious as to that. It does nod to Universal heavily though, with the sets and b&w "film", which is a great thing.

Also seems like a safe toe in the bog water for D+, doing a one off...then waiting for fans to clamor for more.

I'm in too. Looking forward to this!

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                Can't be worse than the Man-Thing movie. No wonder they had a rethink of the whole Marvel cinematic thing after that.
                That was such an odd flick, definitely not what you would expect from a Man-Thing movie.

Comment

Originally posted by JonesyTheCat View Post
                  I don't see ANY post GRIND HOUSE QTism stuff here, curious as to that.
                  The faux emulsion scratches and cigarette burns in the corner of the frame, jumpy editing like frames are missing from the print, close ups that switch to a negative image, all ending with the film "burning" in the projector exactly like in the GRINDHOUSE 2007 trailer. In spite of the Universal inspired title cards and it being B&W these are all GRINDHOUSE touches.

This WEREWOLF BY NIGHT trailer begins with a pseudo 70's Movie of The Week presentation sting, which led me to think we're going to be getting nods to differing eras and styles of horror, meaning a little 1940's Universal, a little 70's drive-in, some 80's gore. It all feels like, visually, they're attempting a throwback mash-up. Personally, it feels forced and way behind the times.

Toyboy
                  like a hole in the head
                  Last edited by Toyboy; 09-16-2022, 10:07 AM.

Comment

It does feel ham fisted, I will agree. And I see your Grindhouse comparison now.
                    I'm still in. It's D+, so my expectations are different. Manicured junk food that tastes good, and I'm happy in this instance.

Comment

Not for nothing, but this comes from the MSN article about this movie:

"The first trailer for Werewolf by Night is in black and white, and oozes grindhouse movie vibes"

What people consider "grindhouse" now is very much rooted in the Tarantino/Rodriguez picture (it might even be safe to say that there's even a sense that Rodriguez' SIN CITY is a "grindhouse" flick), compounded by a misunderstanding that "grindhouse" isn't a genre, although it's arguably become one, in a vague way.

In Atlanta there's a chain of hamburger joints called Grind House Killer Burgers. Judging by their signage they believe 40's Noir and 50's Sci-Fi constitute grindhouse.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1459.jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.8 KB ID:	400695Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1458.jpg Views:	0 Size:	23.6 KB ID:	400696

While listening to a comic book podcast one of the hosts said this illustration by Gerardo Zaffino was a "grindhouse" version of Harley Quinn...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1460.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.7 KB ID:	400697

Its a broad catch-all for a certain aesthetic and I would wager decent money that when the Disney+ people sat down to make this trailer, someone in the room said "Let's give this a GRINDHOUSE feel"
                      Toyboy
                      like a hole in the head
                      Last edited by Toyboy; 09-16-2022, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Grindhouse is the most misused term in film. It's a venue not a style. I grew up in Baltimore and later Oakland and grew up in the cheapie theaters as a poor kid. THE ROXIE in downtown Oakland where The Mack had it's world premiere was my living room slash church, lol. My nickname there was simply White Boy. God I miss that place. I will have to post some stories about that place soon, just haaaate typing on a dang phone.

It's complicated but let's just say I don't like QT...at all.

Comment

This looks like big fun to me, especially since it just has to sustain the gag for a Halloween special rather than an ongoing series or feature film. I thought the TV special opening logo was a particularly nice touch. And, hey, Werewolf By Night apparently includes Else Bloodstone, so if nothing else this gets us a bit closer to having Nextwave in the MCU.

Comment

This is kind of gross. Feels like cultural appropriation or something. Stay in your lane, Disney...
                            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                              This is kind of gross. Feels like cultural appropriation or something. Stay in your lane, Disney...
                              Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                              X