Hellraiser: The Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellraiser: The Series

Fangoria is reporting that it's actually going to happen and that Sonar Entertainment is spearheading it.

Barker's website also has this info:

"...At a time when the movie franchise was in search of new distribution (2004), Panacea Entertainment, Park Avenue Entertainment and Blueprint Entertainment looked, collectively, to be throwing a lifeline to Pinhead in the form of a planned TV series. Larry Kuppin, who has a long history with Hellraiser through New World, announced he would executive produce alongside Eric Gardner with the series plotted as following a tabloid journalist as he uncovers an evil plot between Pinhead and a zillionaire software magnate...

Eight years on, 2012 sees the same team look to be working on resurrecting the idea through Sonar Entertainment... "

Not much to go on, but it's something. This could be interesting if they keep it geared towards an adult audience and don't dumb it down and fuck it up like they did with everything in the movie series after Hellbound.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Fangoria is reporting that it's actually going to happen and that Sonar Entertainment is spearheading it.

Barker's website also has this info:

"...At a time when the movie franchise was in search of new distribution (2004), Panacea Entertainment, Park Avenue Entertainment and Blueprint Entertainment looked, collectively, to be throwing a lifeline to Pinhead in the form of a planned TV series. Larry Kuppin, who has a long history with Hellraiser through New World, announced he would executive produce alongside Eric Gardner with the series plotted as following a tabloid journalist as he uncovers an evil plot between Pinhead and a zillionaire software magnate...

Eight years on, 2012 sees the same team look to be working on resurrecting the idea through Sonar Entertainment... "

Not much to go on, but it's something. This could be interesting if they keep it geared towards an adult audience and don't dumb it down and fuck it up like they did with everything in the movie series after Hellbound.
    It all depends on what channel is airing this. If it gets picked up by say FX,AMC,HBO or Showtime it can be great. But most other channels would tone it down so much it wouldn't be worth watching.

As far as the movie series being fucked up after Hellbound I will have to disagree. I have always hated Hellbound. But find Inferno and Hellseeker to be almost as good as the original film.
    Newt Cox
    Last edited by Newt Cox; 04-04-2012, 01:13 AM.

Comment

I don't know about that. The Walking Dead on AMC is just as gory as the Romero flicks. I don't know what else they could do with the franchise though and obviously Doug Bradley won't be playing Pinhead.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
        I don't know about that. The Walking Dead on AMC is just as gory as the Romero flicks. I don't know what else they could do with the franchise though and obviously Doug Bradley won't be playing Pinhead.
        There is plenty to do with the franchise. I would love for them to adapt some of the stories from the Epic comics Hellraiser comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
          I would love for them to adapt some of the stories from the Epic comics Hellraiser comics.
          I found these infinitely more interesting than anything past Hellbound, personally. I can appreciate III for its goofiness and everything after that....? Meh. I will admit though I haven't seen Hellseeker. I did just get it on BD though, so that will change soon.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The Hellraiser franchise has certainly not fared well. 2 had some nice moments, but everything after that was friggin' horrible, especially the last two, those were both just unwatchable abortions.

As for a tv/cable series...... Well like Next Cox said, the comics had some good stories and characters, like the "face" cenobite turning out to be Lon Cheney, but I very much doubt they'll be using those. More likely they'll just end up doing predictable revenge stories with ironic endings, a la The Night Gallery.

Now what I would have much prefer to see would be a live action version of the first Tortured Souls story arc that Barker wrote for the toy line.
            Robert W
            Last edited by Robert W; 04-04-2012, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Hellraiser 5 Inferno was the only other good sequel. Check it out if you like David Lynch-style flicks.

Having collected the figures and read the novella a Tortured Souls project would be infinitely more interesting than another retread of Hellraiser.

Comment

I am surprised that more people here didn't like Hellraiser 5 Inferno. When it came out I keep hearing people talking about how much it sucked. When I would ask them why they thought it sucked almost everyone of them said the same thing. "Pinhead is barely in it." So I went back and rewatched the original and guess what Pinhead has almost the same amount of screentime in the original film as he has in Inferno. It seems that at least back then the people I was talking too didn't seem to realize that originally the Hellraiser film was more about the obsession of people and not really that much about the cenobites. But these were also the same people that kept telling me that "Wild Wild West" with Will Smith was one of the best movies to come out in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                  But these were also the same people that kept telling me that "Wild Wild West" with Will Smith was one of the best movies to come out in a long time.
                  You should probably disassociate yourself with them. I'd be willing to give Inferno another chance. It's on that 4 for 1 Blu-ray that I got, the Echobridge one. I remember not thinking much of it the first time I saw it but maybe seeing it again will change my mind.

I never collected the Tortured Souls stuff but the figures looked cool enough.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I loved ALL of the movies. I think there was one that I didn't but I can't remember.

Ian you're absoluetly right. If this is not geared towards an adult audience, and filled with gore than... blah.

There are so many monster making artists. Why don't they have a new artist every week come up with new/ different Cenobite? Kind of like what Masters Of Horror did, just with fans/artists.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalZ View Post
                      Why don't they have a new artist every week come up with new/ different Cenobite?
                      That's actually a pretty good idea. Rather than just come up with sequel after sequel after sequel, they could introduce new characters to play in the same universe.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        That's actually a pretty good idea. Rather than just come up with sequel after sequel after sequel, they could introduce new characters to play in the same universe.
                        Good idea...but they would probably be lazy and just have an "origin" story of each cenobite every week.....

No matter how hard I try, I cant see them making this work....unless they go the way of FREDDY'S NIGHTMARES and have Doug Bradley tell a story that is unrelated every week LOL!

Comment

So this is still happening.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/hellrai...ah-1202639696/

"It producer Roy Lee and Ready Player One producer Dan Farah have positioned themselves to bring to the small screen for the first time Hellraiser, the iconic horror franchise anchored by the malevolent straight-out-of-hell villain, Pinhead. Those producers have joined forces with producer-rightsholders Lawrence Kuppin, David Salzman and Eric Gardner, who have controlled those TV rights since New World was sold in 1989.

The intention is to use the mythology established in the movie franchise and the Clive Barker novella The Hellbound Heart as a launch pad for a new series that could be anthology, or a more traditional narrative. The producers are underway with a search for a writer-showrunner, before setting it at a network or streamer, at a time when horror is performing strongly."

More at the link.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Oh come on.

Comment

Barker is on board as executive producer.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/35...raiser-series/
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X