No announcement yet.

The Official Walking Dead Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Cleese 'FTW', as the kids say, pretty much always.

I'm almost done with season six. Cut out all the tedious bedhopping and the season would be about 8-10 episodes long - which, imo, is how long each season of this show should be. Every season since the second has been padded with five or six episodes of 'filler'. The first season, with Darabont at the helm and a lean six episodes, was a stonker. Every subsequent season has dragged awfully at times.

And was I the only person who cheered a little when the Denise thing happened? I was tired of seeing her godawful mopey expression.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Holy shit, that premiere was traumatizing. The most intense hour of TV since the episode of "Six Feet Under" where David picks up the psychotic hitchhiker.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
        since the episode of "Six Feet Under" where David picks up the psychotic hitchhiker.
        Blimey, that takes me back. Excellent television.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

• The Blade of Grass episode of Penny Dreadful is also quite intense although for different reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
            Holy shit, that premiere was traumatizing. The most intense hour of TV since the episode of "Six Feet Under" where David picks up the psychotic hitchhiker.
            The violence was BRUTAL. I let out an audible "ugh" on one of the blows. I seriously did not expect them to take it so far. I do wish the beginning had started right as the previous episode ended but I kinda like the way they did it, too. It gave me the impression they were either not going to show it in explicit detail or it was going to be kept a mystery then WHAM! Ugh.

I'm curious to see this new character with the tiger...

Comment

• SPOILERS

Sadly, I think Abraham's death hurts the show more than the loss of Glenn. Glenn, as a character, had been given too many chances already and his death seems like the next logical step in advancing Maggie's narrative. On the other hand, I don't think Cudlitz was given anywhere near enough time to develop Abraham properly. I'd rather the show had got rid of some of those excess characters like Eugene or Aaron or even Rosita - the 'hangers on'. So much of season six felt like padding (imo) because the series had spread itself too thinly amongst too many characters.

Comment

• I think the Polaroid photos were mentioned in another comment? I noticed in last night's episode, someone snaps a photo of the gory aftermath in the background when Negan's army starts to leave.

I wonder why no one wears gloves to kill zombies?

Reading info on Negan as I was curious if he gets killed in the comic... I did come across info about what Negan threatens to have done to Karl. I guess that was a no-brainer to change for the show...
                Keeth
                Last edited by Keeth; 10-24-2016, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keeth View Post
                  i get little scratches on my hands and fingers all the time. i absolutely would not want zombie blood getting on my hands because of this. maybe i'm just super clumsy and the people on tv don't get little scratches

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                    SPOILERS

Sadly, I think Abraham's death hurts the show more than the loss of Glenn. Glenn, as a character, had been given too many chances already and his death seems like the next logical step in advancing Maggie's narrative. On the other hand, I don't think Cudlitz was given anywhere near enough time to develop Abraham properly. I'd rather the show had got rid of some of those excess characters like Eugene or Aaron or even Rosita - the 'hangers on'. So much of season six felt like padding (imo) because the series had spread itself too thinly amongst too many characters.
                    Abraham died in the comic just before Glenn. He died in a different way, taken out via sniper by Negan's men, but still. Very good opening to the season but I'm expecting the show to settle into the usual formula by episode 2 or 3 where everything grinds to halt with all the talking and unnecessary padding.
                    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I think the Polaroid photos were mentioned in another comment? I noticed in last night's episode, someone snaps a photo of the gory aftermath in the background when Negan's army starts to leave.

Reading info on Negan as I was curious if he gets killed in the comic... I did come across info about what Negan threatens to have done to Karl. I guess that was a no-brainer to change for the show...
                      In the comics, Negan is doublecrossed by Dwight, as I recall, and Dwight and Rick strike an allegiance whilst Negan is incarcerated. I wondered if the TV show was hinting at that with the cell that Morgan built in Alexandria: I imagine that will come into play during season seven, perhaps as a place to hold Negan. However, I have a feeling Dwight won't become the leader of the Saviors: he's already proven himself to be too unpleasant a character in the TV series. I have a feeling Daryl will take on at least part of the role that Dwight has in the comics, and it'll be Daryl that captures/overthrows Negan somehow.

Spoilers

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                      Abraham died in the comic just before Glenn. He died in a different way, taken out via sniper by Negan's men, but still. Very good opening to the season but I'm expecting the show to settle into the usual formula by episode 2 or 3 where everything grinds to halt with all the talking and unnecessary padding.
                      Yep, and the show gave comic book Abe's death to Denise, as I recall. I was just hoping that in the TV show Abraham would get a longer run because I liked Cudlitz's portrayal of him. (It probably helps that I liked Cudlitz's performance throughout the excellent SOUTHLAND.) For me, the TV show works best when it deviates from the comic book (eg, the death of Dale in season two was quite unexpected, and I think Daryl and Merle were good additions to the show); with the cliff-hanger at the end of season six, I was expecting Abraham and Glenn to be on the receiving end of Lucille, but was hoping for something different (eg, for Maggie, Eugene or one of the other characters - perhaps even Rick or Carl - to bite the dust).

Agreed on the padding, Alex: every season since the second has ground to a halt by the third or fourth episode and then stuttered for the rest of the season. I think the chief problem is the seasons are too long. It's not the 'talking' that's the problem, imo: it's the predictable, drawn-out mechanics of introducing new characters and expanding the cast for that season.
                      Paul L
                      Scholar of Sleaze
                      Last edited by Paul L; 10-25-2016, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JLG View Post
                        i get little scratches on my hands and fingers all the time. i absolutely would not want zombie blood getting on my hands because of this. maybe i'm just super clumsy and the people on tv don't get little scratches
                        I wish the show would focus a little on very small but very important details like hygiene. Avoiding even the tiniest injuries would be super important. Also, think about all of the flies! And the smell...

You'd have to take care of your ass, teeth, & feet (as wildland firefighters say); all leather boots would be best but hard to find since there's only 4 companies that make boots entirely out of leather* (Wesco, White's, Nicks, & Viberg). Synthetic materials in boots would rot quickly & make foot issues more common. Leather gloves, something to protect your forearms- even scratches from tree limbs could cause
                        problems. Raiding drug stores for ointments, bandages, etc. If you're in the woods, you need something to treat poison ivy & poison oak then there's all the serious shit that can happen that you can't treat...

How come Rick has nasty, greasy hair but his kid is all dolled up? That's annoying, his hair all fashionably combed over his missing eye, which, would should have killed him.

*there's cowboy boots but they're shit for traction or hiking or in general, IMO
                        Keeth
                        Last edited by Keeth; 10-25-2016, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_nxacszO4qq1udgoumo1_540.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	351509

Comment

I wish the show would focus a little on very small but very important details like hygiene. Avoiding even the tiniest injuries would be super important. Also, think about all of the flies! And the smell...

You'd have to take care of your ass, teeth, & feet (as wildland firefighters say); all leather boots would be best but hard to find since there's only 4 companies that make boots entirely out of leather (Wesco, White's, Nicks, & Viberg). Synthetic materials in boots would rot quickly & make foot issues more common. Leather gloves, something to protect your forearms- even scratches from tree limbs could cause
                            problems. Raiding drug stores for ointments, bandages, etc. If you're in the woods, you need something to treat poison ivy & poison oak then there's all the serious shit that can happen that you can't treat...

How come Rick has nasty, greasy hair but his kid is all dolled up? That's annoying, his hair all fashionably combed over his missing eye, which, would should have killed him.
                            I have to say every time I see the characters covered in blood, I think about all the blood-transmitted infections they could contract but miraculously don't.

I believe I read somewhere about Carl's hair, and the reason it's the length it is is because the producers wanted the actor to grow it out so that when he sported the eye patch at the end of season six, the audience's attention wasn't focused on the patch itself (ie, the bandage that's wrapped around his head is at least partially covered by the hair, etc). Seems like strange logic to me, but still...
                            Paul L
                            Scholar of Sleaze
                            Last edited by Paul L; 10-25-2016, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]16744[/ATTACH]
                              And the petrol hasn't stagnated/evaporated.

Comment

Working...
                              X