Netflix - Crime Scene: The Times Square Killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix - Crime Scene: The Times Square Killer

Anyone else check this out yet? We're 2/3 of the way through. It's basically what you'd expect from a Netflix true crime documentary, it isn't breaking any new ground there at all, but if you geek out over old Times Square footage like I do, it's worth watching just for that reason alone as there's a lot of great footage in here.

The Rialto Report helped out on it.

https://www.therialtoreport.com/2021/12/22/crime-scene/

Rock! Shock! Pop!

It's on my list to check out, I did skim through some of it just to guarantee I was gonna get a plethora of vintage footage, and it looks like it delivers.

Comment

It does. And the story is interesting enough as well, it's just that it doesn't differ much from the zillions of other true crime series that are out there right now.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        It does. And the story is interesting enough as well, it's just that it doesn't differ much from the zillions of other true crime series that are out there right now.
        That one they have on Giuliani (Giuliana Giuliani, Fuck you) taking on the mob was the same; really not much great stuff on there to learn, but the vintage footage and photos are awesome.

Comment

Finished it last night. Some neat twists at the end.

Also, after finishing it, Netflix was like, hey, you'll probably also like this other Crime Scene series about a disappearance at the Hotel Cecil in Los Angeles, so we watched the first episode of that and it was seriously weird and interesting and now I want to watch the other three episodes to see where it goes.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

We finished The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel last night. Way better than The Times Square Killer. If held at gunpoint and told you can only watch one but not both, pick the LA one over NYC.
            Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

the Times Square one was okay, I thought. It's weird to think that there was a time where Manhattan cops weren't talking to NJ cops, or aware of what was going on over the river.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                the Times Square one was okay, I thought. It's weird to think that there was a time where Manhattan cops weren't talking to NJ cops, or aware of what was going on over the river.
                That was kind of our take away too - why didn't these guys pick up the phone?
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Since I'm likely home with the flu for the next couple of days, I will check out the disappearance in LA one, but I heard that the documentary makers were very liberal with the facts on that one. Still sounds entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                    Since I'm likely home with the flu for the next couple of days, I will check out the disappearance in LA one, but I heard that the documentary makers were very liberal with the facts on that one. Still sounds entertaining.
                    I'll fully admit to knowing nothing about the case before watching it, but I was pretty intrigued throughout the four episodes. Curious what you think when you get to it, and I hope you're feeling better.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

After we watched the first episode I was trying to remember what the documentary was called so I did a very general search and ended up seeing a big spoiler just via Google autofill keyword suggestions. So yeah, don't do that before finishing (not that you likely would).
                      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Autofill suggestions get on my nerves even when they're not spoilers. Just let me type already.

Comment

Thanks to the recommendation here I watched and enjoyed the Times Square Killer documentary this week. The case itself is pretty compelling in its gruesomeness, the aforementioned surprises near the end kept it from being too straightforward, and all the vintage footage of Times Square was fantastic. Grim and moderately depressing but fantastic. I’m looking forward to checking out the Hotel Cecil documentary next!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post

I'll fully admit to knowing nothing about the case before watching it, but I was pretty intrigued throughout the four episodes. Curious what you think when you get to it, and I hope you're feeling better.
                            Actually, I was off on the comments about that one, and found that everything I thought wouldn't be addressed was addressed. And yeah, spoilers aside, when they get to the one part in the doc when you suddenly realize that it's EXACTLY comparable to a certain film, I was like, Ohhhh, shit. At the end of it, it was a very sad tale.

Comment

Saw this, and it was ok. But like pretty much all these american true crime stuff, it is riddled with filler to extend the running time. And a lot of irrelevant stuff, people speaking at lenght about things not really related to the case at hand. And of course the american fake profoundment moment in television, where when someone says something the camera lingers on them for some time as if they had said something profound, when they in fact has just said something obvious.

But overall, this was ok. I like how sleazy everything was before. Today, everything is to clean and fixed
                              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Working...
                              X